Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,036 of 8,138
  • V-Moda M-100
  • AKG K550
  • NAD Viso HP50 (these would probably be at the top if they were more comfortable)
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
  • AKG Q701 (blasphemy, right?  I just generally prefer closed sets)
  • German Maestro GMP250
  • Westone ADV (iem - just purchased these, great comfort but I really dislike the sound so far)

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4,037 of 8,138

• V-Moda M-100
  • AKG K550
  • NAD Viso HP50 (these would probably be at the top if they were more comfortable)
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
  • AKG Q701 (blasphemy, right?  I just generally prefer closed sets)
  • German Maestro GMP250
  • Westone ADV (iem - just purchased these, great comfort but I really dislike the sound so far)

Interesting....you have some bass light models and bass cannons on your list.   How do you chose which one to use (mood, music type)?

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #4,038 of 8,138

Interesting....you have some bass light models and bass cannons on your list.   How do you chose which one to use (mood, music type)?

Yes, mood and music type, but the #1 factor is probably how long I'm planning to listen.  Like, if I'm looking for an interesting, bass-heavy 20-minute listen, the PRO 900 is an awesome choice.  But anyone who has them will tell you that your ears will hate you after a while.  On the other hand, some say that the K550s are fatiguing, but I usually opt for them if I'm going to be listening for a long time.  Great comfort and clarity, well-rounded sound and sufficient bass make for an excellent combo.  The M-100s are slightly weaker in some respects, but the focus on user-friendly mobile use and a certain "wow" factor upon first listening (both missing from the 550s) pushed them over the top.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #4,040 of 8,138
Most magic:
Sennheiser HD 800 (VERY nice detail, layering, speed and clarity - probably my favourite cans but since they are open I don't always have a chance to use them)
Fostex TH-900 (your music with MSG sprinkled on top, makes music alive)

Denon AH-D2000 with Denon AH-D5000 wood earcups (nice, warm and musical - relaxing to listen to)

Moderate magic: 
Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X (can be great for vocals and can really get my toes tapping, wood finish is surprisingly durable *cough*)
Beyerdynamic DT250-250 (crisp and open sound; downfall: can be a bit bright without proper amplification)
Ultimate Ears TripleFi.10 (downfall: recessed mids, or prepare to up the volume)

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 (downfall: slightly thin sounding at times, lack of bass, sound leakage - I never really used them, but being my only open headphones at the time they convinced me to try out the HD800)

Less magical:
Yamaha HP-1 (very nice imaging and layering)
Yamaha YH-1 (slightly brighter than my HP-1, probably better on paper but hard to say)

Koss Porta Pro (downfall: pulls on my hair, possible sound leakage - I actually used these as my headphones on the go for a long time. Very good for the price.) 

Ultrasone Pro 900 (great performance even unamped) (no real complaints, might lack treble sparkle/extension)

(stock) Fostex T50RP (quite natural sounding; downfall: mids resonance can become fatiguing)

---
For the below I don't really have a place for them in my ranking as I don't use them on a regular basis:

RE0 
Fischer Audio Eterna rev.1
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet ("You're Lucky!" promo edition)
Jays q-Jays (downfall: difficult to get a good seal)
Beyerdynamic DT250-80 (downfall: midrange has a bit of glare, slight treble roll off)
Monster iBeats (came bundled with my HTC Sensation XE)
Ultrasone DJ1 Pro 
Sony MDR-V6
AKG K340 (electrostat-dynamic systems, green dynamic driver housing, no text on headband) (nice soundstage; downfall: mids can be too warm)
AKG K340 (electrostatic-dynamic systems, grey dynamic driver housing, "AKG" on headband) (a bit too much glare)

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #4,043 of 8,138
  I don't have Alpha pads, just the stock ones but I was considering getting a pair of Lawton angle pads because it appears that they should tighten up the bass at least on paper.

Get which you want, but man, the Alphas are fantastic on them! So comfortable too.

For my D2000, they have a little bit of dampening (Dynamat?) in the cups to help with bass bloat, but mine have plastic cups. With the wooden, you probably wouldn't need it.

I would deff get some other pad, the stock aren't best and the improvement is worth the cost!

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4,044 of 8,138
  I don't have Alpha pads, just the stock ones but I was considering getting a pair of Lawton angle pads because it appears that they should tighten up the bass at least on paper.

I find the Alpha pads too thick at the top, so maybe get the Lawtons.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4,045 of 8,138

I find the Alpha pads too thick at the top, so maybe get the Lawtons.

They are thick, but if you press them down flat when you use them, they will soon lose some thickness. I agree with the thickness being a little bit much at first, but they seem like they are decompressing over time, getting closer to the ideal thickness I'd like.

Maybe Lawton pads are even better, I wouldn't know because I haven't tried them.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #4,046 of 8,138

They are thick, but if you press them down flat when you use them, they will soon lose some thickness. I agree with the thickness being a little bit much at first, but they seem like they are decompressing over time, getting closer to the ideal thickness I'd like.

Maybe Lawton pads are even better, I wouldn't know because I haven't tried them.

I haven't tried the Lawtons yet either. The Alphas are very comfortable because they're much cooler against the skin next to the ears than pleather.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #4,047 of 8,138

I haven't tried the Lawtons yet either. The Alphas are very comfortable because they're much cooler against the skin next to the ears than pleather.

Yes, I agree! They are indeed cooler, and smoother/softer on the skin too.

Really, if you feel they are too thick (I agree), put the headphone on your head, and push the pads all the way down against your ears a few times. They will lose thickness and sit closer to the ear for the duration of the listen.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #4,048 of 8,138

Yes, I agree! They are indeed cooler, and smoother/softer on the skin too.

Really, if you feel they are too thick (I agree), put the headphone on your head, and push the pads all the way down against your ears a few times. They will lose thickness and sit closer to the ear for the duration of the listen.

Thanks. I'll try that. Other things that work are (1) rotating the pads back a few degrees so they're thinner on top and (2) bending the arms of the headband outward, which puts pressure on the back part of the pads and flattens them a little.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #4,049 of 8,138

Thanks. I'll try that. Other things that work are (1) rotating the pads back a few degrees so they're thinner on top and (2) bending the arms of the headband outward, which puts pressure on the back part of the pads and flattens them a little.

yes, rotating the pads to the best possible angle helps too.

I played around with the angle they face, it changes their fit, which can improve the sound.

It's important that the pads sit tight around the ears, so you get that full seal.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,050 of 8,138
These are my five best performing headphones that I've used so far.

1. Sennheiser HD540 Reference II
2. Sennheiser HD560 Ovation II
3. Etymotic ER-4S
4. Sennheiser HD250 Linear I
5. Sennheiser HD540 Reference I

I intend to try the AKG K1000 soon, which will probably take first place and shift everything else down a place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back