Question For All "GradoHolics"
Jul 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #16 of 44
For the price that you can get the SRi60 for and even the 80 for that matter.....it seems to be a great bang for the buck......I may recommend them to a friend...he wants good sound and not break the bank.....if he does not like them...I will take em
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:
For the price that you can get the SRi60 for and even the 80 for that matter.....it seems to be a great bang for the buck......I may recommend them to a friend...he wants good sound and not break the bank.....if he does not like them...I will take em
biggrin.gif

Yep, I started out in this hobby by comparing several phones in the under $100 range. The 80s stood out for me in a big way and I really have to credit them for propelling me down this path. I've already bought a couple pairs for friends and they love 'em. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Yep, I started out in this hobby by comparing several phones in the under $100 range. The 80s stood out for me in a big way and I really have to credit them for propelling me down this path. I've already bought a couple pairs for friends and they love 'em. 

The 80s also come with an 1/8 plug, correct ?  Them and the 60is ?

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 44
I have recently bought my first Grado, the PS500, after much contemplation and perusing the forums. The PS500 is simply magical imho, the best I have heard. My experience is with Sennheiser 600 & HD598, ATH M50, AKG Q701, V-Moda M80, various iems like UE & Shure, etc. All of them have their strengths, to my ears the HD598 & Q701 are quite good and the V-Moda is a fine portable-but they all pale in comparison to the PS500! I think Stacker45 and most of the other Grado fans are giving a very accurate picture of the different Grado cans. By the way, I have never seen a sale on Grados and found it almost impossible to demo them, at least where I live. I am glad I took the plunge on the PS500, and found the info in the Grado threads very helpful indeed.  

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:
I have recently bought my first Grado, the PS500, after much contemplation and perusing the forums. The PS500 is simply magical imho, the best I have heard. My experience is with Sennheiser 600 & HD598, ATH M50, AKG Q701, V-Moda M80, various iems like UE & Shure, etc. All of them have their strengths, to my ears the HD598 & Q701 are quite good and the V-Moda is a fine portable-but they all pale in comparison to the PS500! I think Stacker45 and most of the other Grado fans are giving a very accurate picture of the different Grado cans. By the way, I have never seen a sale on Grados and found it almost impossible to demo them, at least where I live. I am glad I took the plunge on the PS500, and found the info in the Grado threads very helpful indeed.  

You made a great choice for a first Grado! Like you, I find enjoyment in many different types of headphones, but the PS500s are my overall favorite. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

I have heard alot of them,aside from the Alessandro series,the PS-1 and the HF series,it would take to long to write about all of the ones i did hear,so let me just say this.

I believe that the SR80i and the PS500 are the two best buys among Grado's current models,also i think that when you get to a certain price point,say around $500,the word ''better'' should be replaced by the word ''different'',you might prefer the PS500,to the $100 more expensive RS1i,simply because they sound so different and might be more you're cup of tea.

Also,for me,the SR325 and the PS500 represent the two extremes of the current lineup,of course the 325 beeing more treble oriented and ''in you're face'' and the PS500,more bass oriented,with more ''polite'' highs`.

And last,but certainly not least,a few days ago,after listening to a well recorded cd with my PS1000,i compared them with my SR80i and was shocked at how much of the lion's share i got with the SR80i,and to me this says a lot for the them,talk about a no brainer.

Hope this helps.

In your opinion, what does
 the 80is provide that the 60is do not?

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #23 of 44
I am dying here for some more info...lol

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:
In your opinion, what does
 the 80is provide that the 60is do not?

The bowl pads used to be the major difference between SR60 and SR80. Now both of them come with comfies, I am not sure if 80i is worth the extra money anymore.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 44
So the pads was the main reason for the $20 higher price tag on the SR80i's

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:
So the pads was the main reason for the $20 higher price tag on the SR80i's

SR80 is supposed to be a higher model but changing the ear pads makes a bigger difference than moving from SR60 to SR80. 
Of course you can always buy both pairs and wear one on top of the other. I have seen people do things like that before. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:
Of course you can always buy both pairs and wear one on top of the other. I have seen people do things like that before. 
biggrin.gif

Lol that's the silliest Grado thing I've ever heard :p, way to listen to them.

I did listen to mine backwards, one cup DJ-style, as desktop speakers, all sorts of pads, tape everywhere... but never TWO Grado headphones sandwiched over the other playing back simultaneously, haha.

PS1000 on top of a PS1000, double the sound quality, the best headphone in the world reveals itself to be a combination of twice the same headphone, and you can only do it with Grado.

I'm going to sandwich my HP2i when I receive it with my vintage RS-1, it'll be an interesting recipe!

I have no experience with modern Grados. Although I've owned 9 of them, my SR325i (purchased in 2005) is my most recent model... which I like very much :p, with tape around the bowls it's bassy and not harsh at all.

The very general consensus is that they all sound the same... and that if you want a surprise or a different sound you need to seek for the older vintages, and from there it seems like a box of chocolate (you don't know what you're going to get! --Forest Gump)

The less general consensus is that PS500 has more bass (like the HF2) but less high, which make it uniquer than even the HF-2. Many people love it because its balance is closer to neutral, but it strays too much from the usual Grado sound for some people. Then you have the GS1000i and the GS1000i on steroid the PS1000, and then you have a continuum of increasing refinements from the SR60i to the RS1i, and I don't know anything about the iGrado and IEMs.

MS1i is the most popular Alessandro, which are in general less aggressive than Grados.

All Grados of a given model always sound different next to another, that's the usual Grado variance, beware of it when you read someone's impression.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:
PS1000 on top of a PS1000, double the sound quality, the best headphone in the world reveals itself to be a combination of twice the same headphone, and you can only do it with Grado.

It's like a Grado PS1000 SLI rig.  I can see it now... better investment would be Dual RS1i's for $1400 instead of a single PS1000 for $1700. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back