Question For All "GradoHolics"
Jul 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #32 of 44
I agree with peeps who like the SR325i for best value. I use them the most.  As much as I love my RS1s (which I bought first after falling for the SR125s), I don't know if they were worth double the price for a very small change in tone and soundstage. Probably why Grado revamped the entire line with "i" versions.  Which brings me to a general point about how the lines change as they go up.  Soundstage and Imaging are the biggest changes you will hear after the 225s and up.  Of course things will vary slightly tonally as well, but that's to be expected with any line.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:
Which brings me to a general point about how the lines change as they go up.  Soundstage and Imaging are the biggest changes you will hear after the 225s and up.  Of course things will vary slightly tonally as well, but that's to be expected with any line.

Spot on. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 44
Which brings me to a general point about how the lines change as they go up.  Soundstage and Imaging are the biggest changes you will hear after the 225s and up.  Of course things will vary slightly tonally as well, but that's to be expected with any line.

My toughts exactly.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #35 of 44
It's like a Grado PS1000 SLI rig.  I can see it now... better investment would be Dual RS1i's for $1400 instead of a single PS1000 for $1700.  :D

Because you had to go there...I would like to remind you that Amdahl's Law will gladly explain that while cost will increase in a linear fashion, performance will be limited by the ability of the problem to be broken apart. How parallel is it. Using SLI as an example, and my numbers might be a bit dated depending on changes to their SMP implementation and developers' adoption of "SLI-friendly" calls (I don't mean to imply software is WRITTEN for SLI, but it can be certainly written in a manner that lends to being farmed out), you can expect a gain of roughly 75% per. So if PS-1000s offer X performance, 2 PS-1000s will offer 1.7x performance, and three will offer 2.5x performance and so on. It eventually (very quickly actually) becomes too expensive to justify the performance, you also have to consider the increased demands (which increase linearly), like power, weight (with two of them you're already talking better than 1 kilo!), and financial limitations.

The point is: math does not even agree that this is a good idea.

My toughts exactly.

Yeah, this. Simply put (and this might be a bit extreme, I don't know) the SR-225s feel like two disconnected 2D "windows" on the presentation, the RS-1 are a sphere in 3D.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:
Because you had to go there...I would like to remind you that Amdahl's Law will gladly explain that while cost will increase in a linear fashion, performance will be limited by the ability of the problem to be broken apart. How parallel is it. Using SLI as an example, and my numbers might be a bit dated depending on changes to their SMP implementation and developers' adoption of "SLI-friendly" calls (I don't mean to imply software is WRITTEN for SLI, but it can be certainly written in a manner that lends to being farmed out), you can expect a gain of roughly 75% per. So if PS-1000s offer X performance, 2 PS-1000s will offer 1.7x performance, and three will offer 2.5x performance and so on. It eventually (very quickly actually) becomes too expensive to justify the performance, you also have to consider the increased demands (which increase linearly), like power, weight (with two of them you're already talking better than 1 kilo!), and financial limitations.
The point is: math does not even agree that this is a good idea.
Yeah, this. Simply put (and this might be a bit extreme, I don't know) the SR-225s feel like two disconnected 2D "windows" on the presentation, the RS-1 are a sphere in 3D.

Well 1.7 x PS-1000 is already quite good :p (and not exponential) but the second one would be badly stretched and I probably wouldn't do it even if it improved anything about sound quality, which it surely doesn't lol.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #37 of 44
Well 1.7 x PS-1000 is already quite good :p (and not exponential) but the second one would be badly stretched and I probably wouldn't do it even if it improved anything about sound quality, which it surely doesn't lol.

The RS-1 can *almost* fit over the ESP/950 with the rods fully extended and a lot of hand-holding. :xf_eek: I don't know about stacking the PS-1000s though. And again, it would weigh >1kg. And they're metal, we could solder them together! For Science!

Sort of unrelated but since I have your eyes - did you ever catch my ESP/RS comparo?

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #38 of 44
I enjoyed 3DFX's SLI much better than today's SLI or CrossfireX.  I was rocking dual Voodoo 2's back then!  Quake 2 @ 98 FPS 1024x768 FTW! 
biggrin.gif

I really enjoyed your ESP/RS1 comparison as well.  Two headphones I would very much like to hear one day.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #39 of 44
I enjoyed 3DFX's SLI much better than today's SLI or CrossfireX.  I was rocking dual Voodoo 2's back then!  Quake 2 @ 98 FPS 1024x768 FTW!  :D

Back in the day? That's still relevant technology:
http://forums.hexus.net/general-gaming-chatter/36969-doom-3-running-2-sli-3dfx-voodoo-ii-cards.html (sorry, I couldn't resist - it actually runs like poo and I don't suggest anyone go to the trouble of getting it to work).

I've heard of even more complex games running on the Voodoo5 and 6 series hardware, but never seen that with mine own eyes. Some of those x3dfx hobbyist guys should really be working for nVidia or SGI or something. :eek:

I mean, if they can get Doom 3 and Quake 4 and all that running on that hardware, imagine what they could do with nVidia's budgets and modern hardware...

I really enjoyed your ESP/RS1 comparison as well.  Two headphones I would very much like to hear one day.

Oh thank you! :)

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:
Back in the day? That's still relevant technology:
http://forums.hexus.net/general-gaming-chatter/36969-doom-3-running-2-sli-3dfx-voodoo-ii-cards.html (sorry, I couldn't resist - it actually runs like poo and I don't suggest anyone go to the trouble of getting it to work).
I've heard of even more complex games running on the Voodoo5 and 6 series hardware, but never seen that with mine own eyes. Some of those x3dfx hobbyist guys should really be working for nVidia or SGI or something.
eek.gif

I mean, if they can get Doom 3 and Quake 4 and all that running on that hardware, imagine what they could do with nVidia's budgets and modern hardware...
Oh thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, thanks for the link.  I didn't know anyone had even tried running Doom 3 on the Voodoo2 cards.  I'm amazed it even runs at all.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 44
lol, thanks for the link.  I didn't know anyone had even tried running Doom 3 on the Voodoo2 cards.  I'm amazed it even runs at all.

It runs BAD. The V5 can do it somewhat better, but it's still BAD. I'd only go down that road if you have a lot of time to kill and just want to do it for the lulz. UT2004 is supposed to be easier to make work, because it's not as shadey. (What, it's a new technical term!).

OP: Sorry for this massive diversion. :xf_eek:

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #42 of 44
Heard everything in the prestige line (before they became improved)

SR60 is where it's at from a value perspective but for maybe the slightest improvement in clarity I'd go SR225 if money was no object.  I personally think the huge price leaps between models is unreasonable and in no way justified based on manufacturing costs.  It's expectation bias at it's finest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back