PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #586 of 3,605
Wa6-SE is really good with grados. Excellent choice!

May 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #587 of 3,605
Great review  Swimsonny, objective, and informative, i like the fact that you recognized that Audeze, Hi-FiMan, and Sennheiser also make good sounding headphones, wich, as far as i'm concern, gives your review a lot of credibility, even though my opinion on the PS1000 differs a bit than yours.

And i couldn't agree more, that it's all about system synergy, and i couldn't agree more when you say that it's very important to try listening to new headphones on YOUR sound system if at all possible. 

Again, nice work, sir.

May 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #588 of 3,605
happy they still make them in chrome, hopefully i can get a ps1000 by the end of the year.

May 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #589 of 3,605
I prefer the chrome look too, but even if they were lime green with orange zebra stripes, i would have bought them anyway.

May 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #591 of 3,605
Quote:
Great review  Swimsonny, objective, and informative, i like the fact that you recognized that Audeze, Hi-FiMan, and Sennheiser also make good sounding headphones, wich, as far as i'm concern, gives your review a lot of credibility, even though my opinion on the PS1000 differs a bit than yours.

And i couldn't agree more, that it's all about system synergy, and i couldn't agree more when you say that it's very important to try listening to new headphones on YOUR sound system if at all possible. 

Again, nice work, sir.

The PS1000 i do think differentiates quite a bit on system set up and synergies, i mean i can imagine some people getting a PS1000 and thinking the DAP will d as it gets loud enough but it does not get close to the performance you can get out of a PS1000. I was listening through audirvana to a Rein Audio X3-DAC and then a Violetric V200 with all cables from Charleston Audio, if that helps put things into perspective. The sound vs my HE-500 is airier for sure but i think it is a bit more mid-bass focused and i am not a huge fan of that so that is why i sway to the HE-500. As for the competition part, yes you can not review a flagship like this and not take into account all the others that i have heard but as i say in the review, they are all great, but you have to find the one with the signature for you.

This is also why Item Audio service in the UK is great as reading or watching reviews is one thing and listening with your own ears on your own gear is another and as a reviewer i will always say that is the best thing to do, but it is not always possible.

Also thanks a lot for you kind words and keep enjoying the PS1000 :wink:
Quote:
Strange, you sound just like parrots.

Strange?

Also i did not think i sound to alike to him but i can assure we are different people :p

May 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #592 of 3,605
Thanks for the review...nicely done.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #596 of 3,605
Hi - Does anyone know how I can take apart my PS1000s?  Is there a guide somewhere video/imagery? 

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #598 of 3,605
Quote:
You don't...it's glued together. You send it back to Grado for repair.

Hi - Sorry I should have been a little clearer.

I don't want to actually take the earcup apart, I just purchased some aluminium rodbloks and gimbals from martin custom audio and I need to swap them over. Can't figure out how to take off the stock ones. I don't want to damage them.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #599 of 3,605
Quote:

Hi - Sorry I should have been a little clearer.

I don't want to actually take the earcup apart, I just purchased some aluminium rodbloks and gimbals from martin custom audio and I need to swap them over. Can't figure out how to take off the stock ones. I don't want to damage them.

The stock caps on the rods will pull off if you GENTLY use some rubber tipped pliers. That recommendation comes from Grado directly from when I asked how to do the exact same thing you're doing. Once you get the caps off, you can then use the pliers to unscrew (counterclockwise, of course) the gimbals from the earcups. Once you get it all put back together with the custom stuff, take a pic and send it to Grado...they seem to like when we do this sort of thing. 
*Disclaimer, if you mess up your PS1000s, I take no responsibility...this advice is for entertainment purposes only. :wink:

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #600 of 3,605
Oh, just came across this. Yes, I've had to redo it a few times, but yes, wrap tape around the top part of the metal spikes. I may do the same on my LCD-2's, they slip down too.

Us Neanderthals tend to have our ears closer to the top of our heads. It's great that phones are adjustable, but it would be nice if you could fix them for good once you've bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back