PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #556 of 3,605
Grado recently demo'ed the PS1000 at a European show paired with the Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition, so I knew I had to try the amp.

When I hooked it up, the results were superb. Even cleaner sound, somewhat smoother treble, soundstage seemed even more enveloping. Of course all this could be my imagination. Tonality of course did not change at all to my ears. In any event, I've never heard better. Then the next night, the amp went on the fritz. I hooked the PS1000 up to one of my alternate systems, with the same recording, and the magic was gone. Or at least that degree of magic. Still sounded fabulous. I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others. It still feels like a privilege to own it.

[EDIT - THE AMP DID NOT GO ON THE FRITZ, I DID. THE AMP IS FINE AND IS SUPERB.]

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #557 of 3,605
@ priest

Have you ever tried PS1000 with Bryston BHA-1?
In your opinion which pair is better BHA-1 + PS1000 or Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition +PS1000?
Does Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition's treble and bass roll-off?

My BHA-1 is very good with LCD3 but with PS1000 I think it's a little too bright.

Thank you

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #558 of 3,605
Quote:
Thanks! I have yet to find another headphone that engages me as much as the PS1000. Every time I put them on, they draw me into the music and I forget about the gear. Grados have a way of doing that to me. IMHO, it's too bad that the PS1000s don't get more respect around here.

I'm very interested in these as well.  Who has them at a really good price?  

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #559 of 3,605
Quote:
I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others.

eek.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #560 of 3,605
Quote:
Grado recently demo'ed the PS1000 at a European show paired with the Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition, so I knew I had to try the amp.

When I hooked it up, the results were superb. Even cleaner sound, somewhat smoother treble, soundstage seemed even more enveloping. Of course all this could be my imagination. Tonality of course did not change at all to my ears. In any event, I've never heard better. Then the next night, the amp went on the fritz. I hooked the PS1000 up to one of my alternate systems, with the same recording, and the magic was gone. Or at least that degree of magic. Still sounded fabulous. I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others. It still feels like a privilege to own it.

WOW man - can you list your top 10 headphones?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #563 of 3,605
Quote:
@ priest

Have you ever tried PS1000 with Bryston BHA-1?
In your opinion which pair is better BHA-1 + PS1000 or Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition +PS1000?
Does Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition's treble and bass roll-off?

My BHA-1 is very good with LCD3 but with PS1000 I think it's a little too bright.

Thank you

Sorry, I have never used the BHA-1. The Solo ULDE did not affect the PS1000 tonality I was used to, to my ears. It did seem to smooth out the treble a little tiny bit.

Quote:
I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others.

eek.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Or at least that degree of magic. Still sounded fabulous. I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others. It still feels like a privilege to own it.

WOW man - can you list your top 10 headphones?

They are not all major headphones. My top ten full-size are probably:

Grado PS1000
beyerdynamic T1
HiFiMAN HE-500
Denon AH-D5000
Grado RS2i
Ultrasone PRO 2900
Audio-Technica ATH-W1000x
AKG K 702
Grado SR325is
Audio-Technica ATH-A900

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #564 of 3,605
Quote:

Well, I found it cheaper that that already 
biggrin.gif
  Just trying to see how low can I go...

If you found it cheaper, then that vendor is not an authorized Grado dealer and you'll likely not end up with a valid warranty. Caveat emptor. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #566 of 3,605
I just upgraded my source to the Oppo BDP-105. Now the PS1000s are really singing! The Oppo has a highly detailed sound, and the Grados really let all that detail through, but never in a way that's harsh or strident. Where I really notice the difference is in the bass; it extends so much deeper and is really tight and solid. 

I was very happy with my sound before this upgrade, but the new source has really taken the sound to a new level. I can now understand why so many audiophiles say "source first".

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #567 of 3,605
What was your old source, and how is the 105's headamp?

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #568 of 3,605
Quote:
I just upgraded my source to the Oppo BDP-105. Now the PS1000s are really singing! The Oppo has a highly detailed sound, and the Grados really let all that detail through, but never in a way that's harsh or strident. Where I really notice the difference is in the bass; it extends so much deeper and is really tight and solid. 

I was very happy with my sound before this upgrade, but the new source has really taken the sound to a new level. I can now understand why so many audiophiles say "source first".

Are you using the Oppo's internal DAC?

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #569 of 3,605
Quote:

Thank you

I have that combo and I agree it has a little too much sizzle in the high end. However, it may simply be that the phones are just so transparent and the amp so neutral that what you are hearing is simply deficiencies in the source, cables, or power supply. I've been experimenting with A/C conditioning products and have been able to successfully eliminate that sizzle, which I believe is simply noise. Once the issue is addressed, that "brightness" sounds more like resolution. I use PS Audio Noise Harvesters, a controversial product, but it works for me. One bank of five on the outlet with my source PC and four on the outlet with my stereo system addressed the brightness issue. I've said it before. 

Things like computers, especially notebooks with mechanical drives, poison the power supply in my opinion, and dimmer switches anywhere in the house are a nightmare.

Almost nobody agrees with that but I hear results.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #570 of 3,605
Quote:

Are you using the Oppo's internal DAC?

My previous source was the Oppo DV-980H. I always thought it was a pretty good sounding player, but the 105 is just SO much more detailed.

Yes, I'm using the 105's internal DACs. Right now, running unbalanced to the Headamp GS-X. As soon as I get some XLR cables, I'll have a fully-balanced setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back