PS1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #541 of 3,605
Quote:
I'm wondering if anybody has recabled their PS1000 with balanced cables. Have you noticed an increase in sound quality when used with a fully-balanced amp and source? I have a new Headamp GS-X on the way and am also thinking about getting a PS1000. I once read on this forum (but now can't find it) that Grado headphones don't benefit all that much from balanced cabling. What's your experience been?

You can search this thread for some previous comments about balanced termination.  Mine were 4-pin XLR terminated and I loved it.  BUT, my BHA-1 amp is known for producing better sound in balanced mode.  To me, balanced sound improvements are more about the DAC/amp than the cans themselves.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #542 of 3,605
Quote:
I ended snagging a Bryston BHA1 from another head-fier.  I've been listening to it for the last couple days and I cannot wipe the smile off of my face.  All the things I love about these headphones are just, well, amplified. (lol, I couldn't resist.)  The detailed highs are more detailed; the full and engaging mids and bass are more full and engaging; the space and openness is greater than it has ever been; the textures are that much more palpable.

I was using a M-stage with the bias opamp modification, and for the price that unit sounds great.  But this is a whole different level.  I don't have a breadth of experience with other amps in this range, so I can't do any direct comparisons.  But I can tell you that the Bryston sounds incredible with these headphones.  

I heard that they used the PS1000's when tweaking the BHA-1 at Bryston. So it makes sense if the  synergy is really good.

I will be asking my grado rep if he can lend me his PS1000's so I can compare to my HE-6/HD800/LCD-3. Maybe I will be more impressed with my new equipment this time, but I wouldn't think so.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 16, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #543 of 3,605
i know many head-fi'ers can't resist modding, but i can't for the life of me understand why it is worth second guessing john grado and switching these cans to balanced.  doesn't he know best?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #544 of 3,605
"Balanced" has to do with the design of the amp, not the headphones. Unlike other designs which are different only internally and not in the output socket, balanced amps require a different socket as the signal return isn't combined as it is in regular amps, so the question is moot. You may as well ask the same question about why someone might use other than an RA-1 to drive them. 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #545 of 3,605
Quote:
I'm wondering if anybody has recabled their PS1000 with balanced cables. Have you noticed an increase in sound quality when used with a fully-balanced amp and source? I have a new Headamp GS-X on the way and am also thinking about getting a PS1000. I once read on this forum (but now can't find it) that Grado headphones don't benefit all that much from balanced cabling. What's your experience been?

The new GS-X will still have SE outputs..

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #547 of 3,605
Quote:
I am listening to my PS1000's through my restored 70's monster receiver, a Sansui 9090DB.  Sounds great.

Would I have anything to gain by purchasing a headphone amp?

I haven't got that (or any other) receiver, but I recently bought a dedicated headphone amp to partner with my PS1000 and I'm glad I did. My rationale for getting one is that there seems to be general consensus that on most equipment the headphone connection and componentry is an afterthought thrown in to add a bit more value, but poorly specced to keep the costs low. That said, there are folks on this thread stating that isn't the case on older receivers. So, I guess the only way for you to tell for sure is get a headphone amp and trial it out.

My experience of driving PS1000s through my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, which is a dual-purpose DAC/headphone amp, versus my dedicated headphone amp (a not-yet fully burned in Graham Slee SRGII) is that the SRGII presentation has fuller bass, slightly warmer overall sound and is more impactful. It also takes the edge off a slight screechiness I occasionally noticed in the high frequencies for some female vocalists. We're not talking day-and-night difference here, it's much more subtle, but I appreciate and value the new sound signature a lot.

The SRGII amp cost just over £500 (approx $800). It took me a while to make the decision to spend the money as I thought the DAC Magic Plus was doing a solid job and I simply didn't know if I was going to gain anything more, and, if I did, whether I would like the change in the sound signature I was used to. I just decided to go for the amp because I could spare the cash and there was no risk as I could send the amp back if I didn't like it. As I said above, I'm glad I got the amp, but it's worth reiterating that any gain may be subtle, yet potentially allow you to enjoy your music that bit more.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #548 of 3,605
As I'm approaching 90 hours on them, I'm becoming more convinced that I have no real need for a headphone amp. Except maybe to satisfy my curiousity about them.  What was already a nice bottom end, has "opened" up and become even more distinct.  I've been listening to just about every music genre except opera.  Even the constant boom boom boom of electronic dance music sounds great. At first that music was a slight bit "muddy" on the bottom, for lack of a better word. That's gone now.

IMO, 70's vintage receivers and amps can't be surpassed for sheer musical joy. Not as accurate as modern stuff I suppose, but also not as sterile sounding. To me anyway.   If you haven't heard a Sansui monster receiver, like the 9090, you're missing out.

But at some point, I'm sure my curiousity, and my propensity for "gadgets" and gear, will have me getting a headphone amp. But I'm not going to rush into it at this point.

Thanks for all the info.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #549 of 3,605
IME, 325is and PS500, different headphone amps with Grados are responsible for very subtle differences. IOW, I don't think I could pass a "blind test".  I do have different amps but I probably could have saved a bundle instead of just having some pricey eye candy.  2 sense.  

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #550 of 3,605
It sounds like you've found a great match for your PS1000s and I believe that's vital to get the best out of them. Cheers for the Sansui info, I'll keep an eye out to see if I can pick one up at some point.

I agree that your headphones losing the bass 'muddiness' should indicate they're close to, if not completely, burnt in. The bass on my year old Grados has great detail, texture and impact. I've never heard jazz sound so good!

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #551 of 3,605
Quote:
It sounds like you've found a great match for your PS1000s and I believe that's vital to get the best out of them. Cheers for the Sansui info, I'll keep an eye out to see if I can pick one up at some point.

Using Woo WA5 with Mullard ECC32, Takatsuki 300B and Mullard GZ34 and the match is fantastic, the PS1000 involve the listener in the music.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #552 of 3,605
I got my new PS1000s on Tuesday. It was an exciting day...not only did the PS1000s show up, I received the new Headamp GS-X mk2! This is a match made in heaven! The GS-X drives the headphones superbly. I've had the stock cable on the PS1000 reterminated with 4-pin XLR by Moon Audio but I don't yet have a balanced source. My current source, the Oppo 980, is fine but nowhere near high-end. Already the combo is giving me great sound. I can't wait to see how it sounds once I upgrade the source in a few months.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #553 of 3,605
Quote:
I got my new PS1000s on Tuesday. It was an exciting day...not only did the PS1000s show up, I received the new Headamp GS-X mk2! This is a match made in heaven! The GS-X drives the headphones superbly. I've had the stock cable on the PS1000 reterminated with 4-pin XLR by Moon Audio but I don't yet have a balanced source. My current source, the Oppo 980, is fine but nowhere near high-end. Already the combo is giving me great sound. I can't wait to see how it sounds once I upgrade the source in a few months.

I'm happy for you, i have had my PS1000 for about a year, and they still impress me everytime i put them on.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #554 of 3,605
Thanks! I have yet to find another headphone that engages me as much as the PS1000. Every time I put them on, they draw me into the music and I forget about the gear. Grados have a way of doing that to me. IMHO, it's too bad that the PS1000s don't get more respect around here.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #555 of 3,605
When you stop listening to your gear and start listening to the music, you've definately done something right. I'm in that sweet spot right now, and i'm affraid to change anything in my upstream equipement, just in case it turns out to be a side grade, or worse, a downgrade. As far as i'm concerend when you get to a certain point, paying more doesn't necessarily mean better sound. 

I have to say, i'm surprised that the PS1000 don't get more praise from the Head-Fi community, having heard their direct competitors, meaning the LCD3, HD 800, HE-6, and T1s, i think that soundwise, they're certainly on par with all of them.

Some criticize their cheap packaging, and while i agree that it could be better, i try not to forget that they're a small familly owned buisness. Just the fact that they're able to compete soundwise with much bigger companys says a lot about them. Truth be told, even if they would come in a nice wooden box, i still wouldn't use it, i much prefer the convinience of my headphones stands. 

Alright, that's enough rambling for one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back