PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,772 of 3,605
Count me in! Bought a set of PS1000's (demo product) which were discounted from usd 1850 to usd 1040. Nice! I just love the sound of these! I also listened to the GS1000i's, comparing them to the LCD2's and the HE-500's, and had I not gotten this great offer I would go for those. Wow. Happy guy here :smile:

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,775 of 3,605
Count me in! Bought a set of PS1000's (demo product) which were discounted from usd 1850 to usd 1040. Nice! I just love the sound of these! I also listened to the GS1000i's, comparing them to the LCD2's and the HE-500's, and had I not gotten this great offer I would go for those. Wow. Happy guy here :smile:

Welcome!  I listen to my PS1000s (non-e) more than any of my other headphones.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,776 of 3,605
Welcome!  I listen to my PS1000s (non-e) more than any of my other headphones.

Thank you very much sir! I just ran and bought an Oppo HA-2, as I had no decent DAC/Amplifier for my Ipad Air and Iphone 6 (and I will also use it to amplify analogue signal from a semi-professional Focusrite audilo card I have). The sound is so awesome I cant even begin to describe how amazed I am!

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,777 of 3,605

Congratulations on your new PS1K's!
You scored with that price…I also paid a total of $1210.00 U.S. for my NIB/NOS PS1K's thanks to the (e) series release. Enjoy them!
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,778 of 3,605
The headphones are so ruthless, cannot enjoy classic rock unless it's well recorded.

This goes for most any  HP listening to anything poorly recorded give or take. I know some
(usually less expensive) HP's can sometimes sound better with poor recordings, but thats because their not revealing everything in the recording, where as the PS1K's reveal everything. A lot of older Rock music isn't recorded well…I find this as well, but them again, I don't really use my PS1K's for anything poorly recorded (they don't deserve it) the recording doesn't let them shine, so its not the HP's fault. Listen too an excellent recording, and you'll be blown away!

How are you making out with amplification…anything new?

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,779 of 3,605
Congratulations on your new PS1K's!
You scored with that price…I also paid a total of $1210.00 U.S. for my NIB/NOS PS1K's thanks to the (e) series release. Enjoy them!
:beerchug:

Thanks a bunch man! :thumbsup: Yes, it was an awesome deal.

This goes for most any  HP listening to anything poorly recorded give or take. I know some
(usually less expensive) HP's can sometimes sound better with poor recordings, but thats because their not revealing everything in the recording, where as the PS1K's reveal everything. A lot of older Rock music isn't recorded well…I find this as well, but them again, I don't really use my PS1K's for anything poorly recorded (they don't deserve it) the recording doesn't let them shine, so its not the HP's fault. Listen too an excellent recording, and you'll be blown away!

To be honest, at first I thought: why the heck did I pay 400 bucks for THIS", having been recommended using an amp despite the low ohm. I then started doing A and B's of certain song-parts from different genres, running ny iPad Air and oppo at approximately similar levels (and loud but comfortable). Suddenly I started noticing little things, like some distortions in the pure iPad signals instruments and voices (in particular high mid/low highs). Then I realised that the bassist stood a bit behind the rest of the band, and that the drums also felt a bit too far away on the iPad, compared to the Oppo output, which feels a lot more complete and balanced. The way I described it to my girlfriend is that the iPad signal by itself feels like my body has some holes in it, making my lungs waste air when beathing. Hehe. These observations is even more noticable on my iPhone, which obviously has a weaker amplifier. Oh, and I am by all means no hifi aficianado, and I COULD be imagining things to justify the Oppo purchase, but thats how I feel about it.

In regards to recording quality; yeah, I guess I must finally start diving into the flac universe, as I never quite saw the point with my previous gear. That said, this can+amp combo does wonders to my "highest quality" Spotify playback as well, although everything is more transparent than I ever experienced before. In particular electronic music seems to shine a thousand times stronger, even from this source, probably due to it being somewhat compressed from the get go anyways.

Anyways, I do really look forward to testing som high quality classic recordings with this set. Anywhere I can get legal flac music to test my setup?

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,780 of 3,605
 Then I realised that the bassist stood a bit behind the rest of the band, and that the drums also felt a bit too far away on the iPad, compared to the Oppo output, which feels a lot more complete and balanced. The way I described it to my girlfriend is that the iPad signal by itself feels like my body has some holes in it, making my lungs waste air when beathing. Hehe. These observations is even more noticable on my iPhone, which obviously has a weaker amplifier. Oh, and I am by all means no hifi aficianado, and I COULD be imagining things to justify the Oppo purchase, but thats how I feel about it.
 Anywhere I can get legal flac music to test my setup?

I notice the same separation of musicians when I move my Grados (any of them) from the output of my iPod Classic to my Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp, driven by the iPod.  Difference in "imaging" that is wonderful.

I'm learning that music comes in at least three bins:  1) compressed, e.g. iTunes AAC (256 kb/sec VBR) or worse (low-bit-rate mp3); 2) CD quality (eg. 44.1 Ksamples/sec, 16 bit/sample), and 3) high res (greater than 44.1 Ksamples/ sec and more than 16 bits/ sample).

I concentrate on #2, since I cannot reliability hear a difference between 2 and 3 *if they share the same master recording* (big IF). 

I've taken to buying used CDs from amazon.com or ebay, then encoding them losslessly using FLAC or WAV or Apple Lossless (.WAV is the only one that can play both on native PC and iPod players).

Otherwise I go to hdtracks.com, which has at least #2 and often #3 for what they offer, and can encode anything in FLAC and download it to you.

Hope this helps.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,782 of 3,605
Nope. I got the regular ones. From what I've heard, and what I were told by the representative, there is SOME difference, but not THAT much.

Congrats on the PS1000.

I have compaired both the PS1000, and the e serie, and the difference isn't night and day, but it is significant. The e has deeper bass, and slightly less treble, They are both able to retrieve every litte details, so they won't make chicken soup, out of chicken poop.

Comfortwise, I ended up preferring the my old PS1000, because the PS1000e's drivers were touching my ears.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,783 of 3,605
Congrats on the PS1000.

I have compaired both the PS1000, and the e serie, and the difference isn't night and day, but it is significant. The e has deeper bass, and slightly less treble, They are both able to retrieve every litte details, so they won't make chicken soup, out of chicken poop.

Comfortwise, I ended up preferring the my old PS1000, because the PS1000e's drivers were touching my ears.

Thanks! Well, comfort is extremely important to me, so personally I am happy I ended up with the non-e ones, especially considering I got large ears. I am also very satisfied with the treble as well. Due to having damaged my ears many years ago, while wearing my extremely boomy in-ear, cheapo buds playing cassettes on insane levels, I benefit from having a very defined, almost sharp, treble. I'm browsing an online hd music store now, as I want to really test these babies with something worthy. :wink:

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,784 of 3,605
Thanks! Well, comfort is extremely important to me, so personally I am happy I ended up with the non-e ones, especially considering I got large ears. I am also very satisfied with the treble as well. Due to having damaged my ears many years ago, while wearing my extremely boomy in-ear, cheapo buds playing cassettes on insane levels, I benefit from having a very defined, almost sharp, treble. I'm browsing an online hd music store now, as I want to really test these babies with something worthy.
wink.gif

I know that some Head-Fi members prefer the PS1000e, and I'm happy for them. for me it was more than just a comfort issue. I did like the e's deeper bass, but not enough to give up the added treble that the old PS1000 gives me.

I'm just glad that I was able to compare them side by side, this way, I'm at peace with my decision.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,785 of 3,605

Glad you asked about the amplification ation, I managed to hunt down a national dealer/retailer for the Bakoon hda 5210 mk3.
I received a very fine deal for the top end version and should say I'am astonished by its performance with all my headphones including the hd800.
And I don't come from a bad amp - Leben CS300X.
So for me to say this, it's a pretty big deal.

I should point out though, that the rest of my music chain is pristine, have put a lot of effort into it, so good amplification is just the tip of the iceberg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back