post your grado mods....
Aug 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #3,781 of 8,992
Quote:
I didn't think it was much of a problem, but I changed it to be safe. 

Oh, you can be sure I'm going to PM 7keys shortly of a nice price on some wooden cups.  
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Or, maybe I could barter some Grado ear pads for some cups?  I could send 3 or 4 pair of pads as a "gift" to him.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #3,782 of 8,992
LMAO...I missed the price in that post...drat, now I'll never know :D

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #3,783 of 8,992
One you go custom wood Grado you never go back! Lol

My brother's were in town for brother'a wedding this weekend. I brought my cmoy desk amp and my cocobolo Sr80i for one of them to demo, there was literally a line of them waiting to try them out!

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,784 of 8,992
Seriously though, I absolutely love listening to them. Even though I know they technically sound a lot worse, its just that sound!

EDIT: Magnums in the next year or two!!:)

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #3,785 of 8,992
Quote:
Seriously though, I absolutely love listening to them. Even though I know they technically sound a lot worse, its just that sound!

It might occur sooner than you think.  If you see a pair of v.4 Magnums listed in the forum for $80, jump on it.  I've seen that price on more than one occasion.  A few years back, I ordered 4 pair at one time as I needed a few pair for my builds and another member needed two pair also.  This saved on the shipping from Canada when Symphones was selling them.

Here's some pics of my previous builds.  The first pic has the Sony headband used instead of the standard Grado with gimbals.  The Sony band was about $20, with $10 shipping.  Still a bit less cost than buying a "donor pair" of used Grados for the existing headband and gimbals when building a pair of Magnums.  The top set of headphones had the cups cut from Ohrenholz.  Then 2nd pair was from Cabillas in Spain.  I actually re-worked the finish on the lower pair to give it some more bling.  The first pair from Ohrenholz was purchased as an unfinished cup.  I applied the stain and the poly so I could get the colors to my liking.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,786 of 8,992
Quote:

It might occur sooner than you think.  If you see a pair of v.4 Magnums listed in the forum for $80, jump on it.  I've seen that price on more than one occasion.  A few years back, I ordered 4 pair at one time as I needed a few pair for my builds and another member needed two pair also.  This saved on the shipping from Canada when Symphones was selling them.

Here's some pics of my previous builds.  The first pic has the Sony headband used instead of the standard Grado with gimbals.  The Sony band was about $20, with $10 shipping.  Still a bit less cost than buying a "donor pair" of used Grados for the existing headband and gimbals when building a pair of Magnums.  The top set of headphones had the cups cut from Ohrenholz.  Then 2nd pair was from Cabillas in Spain.  I actually re-worked the finish on the lower pair to give it some more bling.  The first pair from Ohrenholz was purchased as an unfinished cup.  I applied the stain and the poly so I could get the colors to my liking.

*sigh* My first build was done with a pair of Cabillas' GS1000 style cups. I still regret selling that pair of headphones to this day.

(PS: Tom Waits saved my life Wje....I recently got promoted after a seven year stint in Customer Service. The only way I survived mentally was the Grado sound and his discography (along with a few other artists of course))

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #3,787 of 8,992
Quote:
Quote:

I want to make it ALL myself:)).

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,788 of 8,992
Quote:

*sigh* My first build was done with a pair of Cabillas' GS1000 style cups. I still regret selling that pair of headphones to this day.

(PS: Tom Waits saved my life Wje....I recently got promoted after a seven year stint in Customer Service. The only way I survived mentally was the Grado sound and his discography (along with a few other artists of course))

Some people see him as a bit quirky.  Others just can't connect to his music.  But, he's the real deal.  Not pretentous and just tells it like it is.  We need more people like that in the world.

Quote:
I want to make it ALL myself:)).

Right.  I understand that you want to build the pair yourself.  But, if you see the drivers being sold by themselves, they might be a good price.  If that's the case, make a move to buy the drivers because they don't appear on the forums all too often.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3,789 of 8,992
Oh just the driver

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #3,791 of 8,992
Quote:
I just want to make a shout out to 7Keys. He made me a beautiful pair of cups, making these headphones sound, to me, 5x better. It was at an extremely affordable price, XX for me. My Paradox and Senn HD650 are sitting right next to me, both at $500, and guess what I'm using? A modded SR60i. So thank you, 7Keys, very, very much

Thanks, I'm glad you like them.................................My last pair of Black Cherry. 

I was planing on putting together a pair of headphones for my sister and traded cups for the parts I needed. 
You got the best deal as it was the last thing I needed and the cheapest................................You lucked out. 
regular_smile .gif

OH.....................Since your not using those HD650's anymore could you ship them out to me?

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,792 of 8,992
I'll get those HD650 right out to you:wink:

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #3,793 of 8,992
Quote:

Thanks, I'm glad you like them.................................My last pair of Black Cherry. 

I was planing on putting together a pair of headphones for my sister and traded cups for the parts I needed. 
You got the best deal as it was the last thing I needed and the cheapest................................You lucked out. 
regular_smile%20.gif

OH.....................Since your not using those HD650's anymore could you ship them out to me?

Hopefully, you charged adequate shipping.  What is it to ship a pair of cups from Canada into the U.S.?  $70.00? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #3,795 of 8,992
     I really want to get some wood cups formy Grados but I would prefer to make them myself. I might finally get that done next week if I get around to it. I'm not sure if I should get some jumbo pads or not though. I have the Grado sr80i and I know most people say that the jumbos sound bad on that model but I was wondering if it would still sound overly bright and harsh if I used some wood cups with them? And possibly if I punched one or two more holes in the felt? Do any of you have experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back