post your grado mods....
Aug 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #3,736 of 8,987
Jaywillin; did you coat the entire breathable surface of your new cheesecloth with adhesive, I've read this done previously and always thought it to be quite counter-intuitive?
Would it not promote less restricted air-flow if you only had adhesive on the black plastic body of the driver housing and ensured the new cloth was large enough to mate with said sticky land..?..just a thought...

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3,737 of 8,987
Quote:
Jaywillin; did you coat the entire breathable surface of your new cheesecloth with adhesive, I've read this done previously and always thought it to be quite counter-intuitive?
Would it not promote less restricted air-flow if you only had adhesive on the black plastic body of the driver housing and ensured the new cloth was large enough to mate with said sticky land..?..just a thought...

nice observation ! first try, i had the mesh too close to the can of adhesive and it did just that, the adhesive was too heavy and filled the holes
in the mesh, so a soak in rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush got it all cleaned up, and on the second try, i sprayed a steady stream from the can, and then moved the mesh(holding with needle nose pliers) into the mist at a distance much further away from the can, resulting in a much lighter application, filling no holes, and other than looking wet, the adhesive wasn't really even noticeable
if anything, it may have even better airflow now i think, comparing the mesh to the original driver grill, cloth holders, less surface area solid

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #3,739 of 8,987
I have a super basic question that probably isn't worthy of this thread - but I'm guessing you guys can help.

I have a pair of SR60i's that I modded thanks to this thread by removing some of veiling and using felt inside the plastic.  I also added the larger cushions which seem to sound better to me than the comfy ones that came with it.

But... after all that the headband doesn't seem to place the ear pieces on my ears in a level way anymore - they are kind of angled instead of straight up and down.  I have tried bending the head band with my hands and it seems like I am hardly making it better - maybe even worse.

Are there any tips for getting a good fit with the headband?  Is there such thing as a replacement that might be a little wider? (I do have a large head)

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3,740 of 8,987
Aug 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #3,741 of 8,987
Quote:
I have a super basic question that probably isn't worthy of this thread - but I'm guessing you guys can help.

I have a pair of SR60i's that I modded thanks to this thread by removing some of veiling and using felt inside the plastic.  I also added the larger cushions which seem to sound better to me than the comfy ones that came with it.

But... after all that the headband doesn't seem to place the ear pieces on my ears in a level way anymore - they are kind of angled instead of straight up and down.  I have tried bending the head band with my hands and it seems like I am hardly making it better - maybe even worse.

Are there any tips for getting a good fit with the headband?  Is there such thing as a replacement that might be a little wider? (I do have a large head)

When bending the headband, you need to bend the whole thing, not the left and right side individually.
If you're already doing that - great, keep trying!
If not, it's going to be very difficult to bend back to a usable shape. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3,743 of 8,987

I must say, I am very proud of myself:) It sounds great, SO much better than what the end part cost is - $135. Thanks so much, 7Keys! If I want to mod a higher up grado, like the 225 or 325, I will look right towards you:). Also, I dont know what people are talking about Techflex being microphonic, I hear nothing when I touch it/ rub it. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #3,744 of 8,987
Quote:
I must say, I am very proud of myself:) It sounds great, SO much better than what the end part cost is - $135. Thanks so much, 7Keys! If I want to mod a higher up grado, like the 225 or 325, I will look right towards you:). Also, I dont know what people are talking about Techflex being microphonic, I hear nothing when I touch it/ rub it. 

Techflex, in my use has been a bit rough to use.  When it rests on your chest while listening, it feels like there's a snake on you.    

Meanwhile, after owning a half-dozen Grados, 3 Magnums and 2 pair of HF-2s, I was essentially Grado free for the past 1.5 years.  However, this time around, I thought I'd avoid the labor efforts that I was accustomed to and just go for something that was complete - no modding required.  This is one of the earlier models, it is not the newer "i" revision. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #3,745 of 8,987
Quote:

Those do look great but I notice your screens look like they are not glued in. I've used wood glue to put mine in and I'm wondering what others are using.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,746 of 8,987
Quote:
Quote:

Those do look great but I notice your screens look like they are not glued in. I've used wood glue to put mine in and I'm wondering what others are using.

That is the glue, haha. I put too much..

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #3,747 of 8,987
Quote:

Quote:

For my Grado mods in the past, I've used wood glue to hold the mesh into place.  Additionally, I've used a Q-tip to carefully apply the glue so it can get down into the corner where the mesh and the wood meet together.  I take my time with it, but the patience really pays off.  I have about 25 pictures of all my previous Grado / Magnum mods.  I hope to get these uploaded into my gallery on this site this afternoon.

Woot!  I'm picking up my GS1000 'phones at noon.  Complete with original box, 10' Grado headphone extension, Grado 1/4" Female to 3.5" Male adapter.  I'm freaking psyched !!!

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3,748 of 8,987
Yeah, its a mistake I will learn from. Who would have thought it would expand so much! Also, congrats!!

For my Grado mods in the past, I've used wood glue to hold the mesh into place.  Additionally, I've used a Q-tip to carefully apply the glue so it can get down into the corner where the mesh and the wood meet together.  I take my time with it, but the patience really pays off.  I have about 25 pictures of all my previous Grado / Magnum mods.  I hope to get these uploaded into my gallery on this site this afternoon.

Woot!  I'm picking up my GS1000 'phones at noon.  Complete with original box, 10' Grado headphone extension, Grado 1/4" Female to 3.5" Male adapter.  I'm freaking psyched !!!

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3,750 of 8,987
There's many different techniques to use when applying glue.  Art brush, Q-tip, toothpick, etc.  Also, avoid the glues such a Gorilla Glue like the plague.  While it's a strong glue, it also expands to 2 or 3 times the original size as it cures.  It will make a big of your headphones.  I've also found that using some clear silicone wan work nicely, too.  Since it dries clear, it provides a nice and clean completed process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back