post your grado mods....
Jul 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #3,421 of 8,992
I agree! I like the L cush. However the G cush with properly modded drivers sounds great also.  2 different flavors of sauce, both good.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3,423 of 8,992
 People have taken what they've learnt from stringed instruments, that's the first place to look to find info on tone-woods, you can't find that info any where else? I'm sure everyone here who is making cups has spent a lot of time studying the tonal qualities of tone-woods. 

Check out martincustomaudio you'll see cups made out of every tone-wood under the sun.

I don't know where you got this idea. 

I have seen MCA. I thought some other things like mahogany capped with cherryburst flamed maple or something in the style of a Les Paul might make for something different-sounding and interesting to look at because I usually see plain wood finishes. And my impression in the majority of those cases is that the wood was chosen for aesthetics, not sound. Perhaps capping and all that is just plain impractical. But yeah, it's evidently not a welcome discussion and I don't actually know a huge amount about Grado cups and the making thereof so I'll take my leave before I pollute the conversation with any other stupid comments.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3,424 of 8,992
Quote:
I have seen MCA. I thought some other things like mahogany capped with cherryburst flamed maple or something in the style of a Les Paul might make for something different-sounding and interesting to look at because I usually see plain wood finishes. And my impression in the majority of those cases is that the wood was chosen for aesthetics, not sound. Perhaps capping and all that is just plain impractical. But yeah, it's evidently not a welcome discussion and I don't actually know a huge amount about Grado cups and the making thereof so I'll take my leave before I pollute the conversation with any other stupid comments.

I welcome your contribution and was only giving you my take on things. I like to see the natural beauty of the wood so use a simple finish. Thelostmidrange made some flamed maple cups

On the one hand you say most of us choose wood for its looks and not sound...then you say we should make our cups better looking by using Mahogany capped with flamed Maple. You're beating both sides of the drum.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3,425 of 8,992
I agree with hatefulsandwich on one front. There are a lot of exotic woods that get used that are not picked for their tonal qualities, but instead for their aesthetics. This is what happened when I picked the wood for Limited V, but I was pleasantly surprised by it's sound. It was somewhere between a honduran mahogany and a plain jane maple (my personal favorite for sound).

I tried amboyna burl once and hated the sound. My opinion is that internal voids are the biggest detriment to tonal qualities where cups are concerned.

Perhaps a sleeved design would offer the best of both worlds.

I'd try it out, but Mark II is machined in such a way that I don't have enough room for a sleeve. So that design will have to be tonewoods only.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3,426 of 8,992
Quote:
I agree with hatefulsandwich on one front. There are a lot of exotic woods that get used that are not picked for their tonal qualities, but instead for their aesthetics. This is what happened when I picked the wood for Limited V, but I was pleasantly surprised by it's sound. It was somewhere between a honduran mahogany and a plain jane maple (my personal favorite for sound).

I tried amboyna burl once and hated the sound. My opinion is that internal voids are the biggest detriment to tonal qualities where cups are concerned.

I'd try it out, but Mark II is machined in such a way that I don't have enough room for a sleeve. So that design will have to be tonewoods only.

"Mark II"? Is that a new iteration of the Turbulent X driver and what the Turbulent Labs website is calling "Soundstage" due out this month?

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #3,427 of 8,992
Quote:

I guess one can only talk from their own experience 

I spend weeks looking through the many wood lots in the Montreal area, looking for that one special piece[size=11pt]. I put each piece up to my ear and hit it with a spoon, I can immediately recognize if it has the tonal qualities I’m looking for.  A pitch black background, deep, yet lightning fast bass, smooth midrange, and most importantly, seemingly limitless top end extension. Though not too bright or fatiguing in any manner, sparkling highs allow for the presence of the often coveted sense of air as well as glorious imaging and soundstage. The tone-wood has to possess the ability to untangle even the most complex pieces of music. All this for only $500 a pair.[/size]
size]

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #3,428 of 8,992
Quote:

I spend weeks looking through the many wood lots in the Montreal area, looking for that one special piece[size=11pt]. I put each piece up to my ear and hit it with a spoon, I can immediately recognize if it has the tonal qualities I’m looking for.  A pitch black background, deep, yet lightning fast bass, smooth midrange, and most importantly, seemingly limitless top end extension. Though not too bright or fatiguing in any manner, sparkling highs allow for the presence of the often coveted sense of air as well as glorious imaging and soundstage. The tone-wood has to possess the ability to untangle even the most complex pieces of music. All this for only $500 a pair.[/size]
size]

Sure, but how much for the spoon?
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #3,429 of 8,992
Quote:

size]

Quote:
Sure, but how much for the spoon?
biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51zb968HjM

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #3,431 of 8,992
Quote:
There is no spoon.....

Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only realize the truth... THERE IS NO SPOON. Then you will see that it not the spoon that bends, it is yourself.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3,433 of 8,992
Hi all,

Does anyone know if Martin from www.martincustomaudio.com is still active?

I would like to buy some gimbals and rodblocks for my ps1000s, i've tried sending him an email but haven't had a response yet.

Thanks
Steph

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3,434 of 8,992
He is active just busy last week he had CE then the holiday, give him time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back