post your grado mods....
Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #3,362 of 8,992
Ebony usually isn't known for being a tonewood...I haven't ever owned a pair of ebony cups though. Paduak, Mahogany, Cocobolo...those are meant to impart tone.

My next project will involve a pair of Blackwoods, which is meant to be a hard wood, kind-of like ebony. I'll know more about those woods after those are done.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,363 of 8,992
Tonewoods definitely make a difference. But a lot of it is like the icecream flavor debate, what flavor do you prefer?

I tried making cups out of cheap plywood once. Boy was that hilarious. Sounded like I had wax in my ears...

I've personally found that your plane jane maple provides the most engaging sound when used for a cup, but many people don't like the way it looks, and I'm personally against colored stains. From an engineering design standpoint, consistency in density is an important thing. That's why mahogany is the most common, and you don't see Grado pumping out amboyna burl cups. It's also why they go for aluminum in their high tier products. Engineered materials such as aluminum alloys are definition consistency. When you're in Grado's shoes, you need every PS1000 to sound the same, otherwise someone thinks there was a manufacturing error when it sounds different than their friend's.

That said, I've found that driver mounting method makes the largest difference. Do you isolate the driver from the cup, or do you allow it the purest, most excitable connection? Huge debates in this realm, even within a single cup maker.

There are other designs that exist for driver mounting that simply cannot be done with a lathe or in a mass production scenario with wood... These are the most exciting.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,364 of 8,992
I have used foam tape for both my builds thus far...when I finally get my hands on a lathe I will attempt a direct mount I suppose.

Made a few changes to my build from last night this morning before work...added the old 225 grills, with the buttons because I like the look, and pulled the cabling in a little to hide the ugly crimping in the sleeving from the old cable ties.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #3,365 of 8,992
Quote:
Tonewoods definitely make a difference. But a lot of it is like the icecream flavor debate, what flavor do you prefer?

I think you’re on to something with the ice cream analogy. I love Black Cherry ice cream and black cherry tone-wood cups. Maple ice cream and maple tone wood cups are my second.

As long as a tone wood has an ice cream made in its honor ………you’re good to go!

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3,366 of 8,992
 I think you’re on to something with the ice cream analogy. I love Black Cherry ice cream and black cherry tone-wood cups. Maple ice cream and maple tone wood cups are my second.

As long as a tone wood has an ice cream made in its honor ………you’re good to go!

I'll tell you whenever I find a Padauk flavor ice cream!

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #3,367 of 8,992
My turning mentor pronounces it "pah-dook-ah." I'm not sure I want padooka flavored icecream.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,373 of 8,992
Quote:
Also, how would you go about removing the driver from that plastic ring?

BUT with the ring being trimmed down now it will probably be harder to remove...

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,375 of 8,992

You don't want to go any farther than what you see in this pic.

When I first did it I thought I had to go right down to the metal driver. 

What I do is melt it with a needle down to the side of the driver and then use a screwdriver to break it in two....then peel it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back