post your grado mods....
Jun 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #3,346 of 8,992
The kit I got off eBay has a pair of helping hands, a soldering iron and some solder...so I think I am set to go. Will rummage through the garage for something to experiment with this afternoon maybe (just took advantage of an e-waste recycle day the other day, so my timing is crappy, but I am sure I will find something to abuse...)

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #3,347 of 8,992
Hey if anyone is interested I have my sr225i for sale and it comes with all the original packaging and a grado adapter for 180 US dollars
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669434/almost-new-grado-sr225i-with-1-4-to-1-8-adapter/0_30#post_9552468

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #3,348 of 8,992
The kit I got off eBay has a pair of helping hands, a soldering iron and some solder...so I think I am set to go. Will rummage through the garage for something to experiment with this afternoon maybe (just took advantage of an e-waste recycle day the other day, so my timing is crappy, but I am sure I will find something to abuse...)

A stripped piece of wire should be plenty for practice.
Look up a couple videos on YouTube and you should be good to go.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,350 of 8,992
Swapped out my cups for the 7keys wood cup.
Pretty easy mod. I did the hairdryer method to open the cups which took about 3-5 minutes for each cup before I was able to pry them open.
Then I used a combination of a hack saw blade and a dremel to cut into the inner shell and pliers to break away the shell. This part was much more difficult and I was constantly worrying about sawing into or damging the driver but it worked and didn't take too long.
Then it was just a matter of shoving the drivers into the wood cups which fit perfectly without requiring any glue or adhesive.
I used a mesh screen that I cut to size using wire clippers.
All in all a fairly simple mod

These things really do look quite beautiful. The grain on the wood is super interesting, and the tone of the wood is a lot paler than it appears in the picture. They are also a lot lighter than the plastic cups.

Now on the the sound:
Fantastic.
It really gives the music a much warmer, fuller feel and just makes everything seem more natural. The sound is much less plasticy.
I didn't hole punch mod prior so this also really increased the bass which is at a great level now.
The wood does a great job of taming the treble which was a tad too much before.
I can't put my finger on all of the qualities that makes them sound better but these just sound so good now.
Before I though these sounded pretty great, now they are probably my favorite headphones I've ever listened to.
Thanks again 7keys, you really did a tremendous job.

The rest of the cups are on their way to you Triton. Enjoy!

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,351 of 8,992
I was never sure what to think of those cups, I didn't like the strange color they turned but others seem to like them. 
I'm glad you like them, you can be sure that nobody else has a set of cups like those.
size]

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,353 of 8,992
^beautiful!

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,355 of 8,992
Ladies and gentlemen, it is done...below are the KSC75 mutants I made for practice using an old SR80i cable:

And below are the Paduak woodies completed with only two blistered fingers to show for it:

Now that have popped my proverbial cherry with the soldering iron, I will commission those Blackwood cups, and look at woodying my precious SR80 pinks...

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,357 of 8,992
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, it is done...below are the KSC75 mutants I made for practice using an old SR80i cable:

And below are the Paduak woodies completed with only two blistered fingers to show for it:

Now that have popped my proverbial cherry with the soldering iron, I will commission those Blackwood cups, and look at woodying my precious SR80 pinks...

awesome! how do they sound?

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3,359 of 8,992
Quote:
I've been wanting to put some KSC75 drivers in some wood cups, did you try them in the cups?

Not yet...was tempted. They definitely sounded better with the upgraded cable, and I am usually leery of cable-madness...if you start making closed cups let me know...

Quote:
awesome! how do they sound?

Haven't given them too much time yet...tomorrow at the office will give me more time and peace for auditioning. I suspect I might have to go in and silicon the grills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back