post your grado mods....
Jun 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,272 of 8,992
And here are the 225 pinks I will be liberating soon to pop into them...

And the brass mesh I will be using

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,273 of 8,992
Jun 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,274 of 8,992
Quote:
Got my cups today!

Nice cups man!

Quote:
And here are the 225 pinks I will be liberating soon to pop into them...

BE CAREFUL LIBERATING THOSE DRIVERS!!!
size]

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3,275 of 8,992
Am actually thinking of sticking with the stock Grado cable...its a beast, but I like it. I have liberated a pair of 225i before, but no older Grados. I hear they can be easier because the glue is brittle, but I hear they can be harder too, because the glue can be brittle (got to love the internet....) We shall see. I will more than likely destroy the sleeves instead of trying to save them.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #3,276 of 8,992
It was easier in my experience with my old sr125 pinks.  

Agreed on the Grado cable.

I manage to just twist the cups and have them come apart(REAL men don't use hair dryers!
size]
). As far as the plastic sleeves,
I wanted to save them, so I applied the trusty ol' spoon method. It was kinda hard, but then again, I DON'T USE HAIR DRYERS!
size]
size]

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,280 of 8,992
Quote:
It was easier in my experience with my old sr125 pinks.  

Agreed on the Grado cable.

I manage to just twist the cups and have them come apart(REAL men don't use hair dryers!
size]
). As far as the plastic sleeves,
I wanted to save them, so I applied the trusty ol' spoon method. It was kinda hard, but then again, I DON'T USE HAIR DRYERS!
size]
size]

LMAO...my wife gets rather ticked off if she sees me stealing her hairdryer to do this...will have to wait until she goes out to do the grocery shopping later :D.

Anyway, the turner who made the cups for me was very nice. He wants to see these assembled, and then he has a piece of African Blackwood he is going to use to make me a second pair. The man has the patience of a saint. He did three prototypes before getting these out for me.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,281 of 8,992
I’m working on a Padouk set of cups and was reading that padauk will eventually change colors and possibly turn brown, UV light causes the padauk to lose its bright color.  Penofin makes a 99% UV penetrating oil finish. It’s an outdoor marine finish, used for mahogany boats. Another thing that works is Armor-all. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #3,282 of 8,992
One driver fully liberated, the other partially...I almost destroyed the poor thing. The old plastic breaks instead of holding, and whoever put these things together was pretty thorough. Looks okay now that its taped.

I am okay with taping, did it with my Magnum X build, sounded fantastic, and the turner doesn't like the idea of the cups shrinking around the drivers without a little give...

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3,283 of 8,992
Quote:
Am actually thinking of sticking with the stock Grado cable...its a beast, but I like it. I have liberated a pair of 225i before, but no older Grados. I hear they can be easier because the glue is brittle, but I hear they can be harder too, because the glue can be brittle (got to love the internet....) We shall see. I will more than likely destroy the sleeves instead of trying to save them.

Ok well figured if ur gonna make em' pretty, you'd go all the way lol jk really, I rock the standard on a few of my sets (ps500 and my custom 225i) because those cables are still good. (plus I don't really wanna open up the ps500...)

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #3,284 of 8,992
Quote:

Ok well figured if ur gonna make em' pretty, you'd go all the way lol jk really, I rock the standard on a few of my sets (ps500 and my custom 225i) because those cables are still good. (plus I don't really wanna open up the ps500...)

LOL, no worries. Thanks for the kind offer actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back