post your grado mods....
May 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,986 of 8,987
Actually I made a set a few months ago and sand blasted them... the finish was really nice. Black would be nice but I already have the cups in the picture made from Delrin. My plan is to just have a nice natural or clear powder coat on the finish of both pieces of the housing.

May 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,987 of 8,987
Nice, I agree with you since you have black cups already, Ive been wanting to make my own for awhile...

May 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,989 of 8,987
How many of you all do a full liberation when doing custom cups? I may be going this route with a set Sr60 for my brother. Wondering if having a thicker cup wall of 1/4" vs my Sr80i cups of 1/8" wall will make a difference in sound signature.

May 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,990 of 8,987
I've done full liberations on both my sr80 and 225 its easy and cleaner as far as install goes... As far as the difference in sound between wall thickness, I can't comment on that... If there is any it would be minimal I'd assume.

May 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #2,991 of 8,987
Hi everyone, I was hesitant to post my mods since everyone else's headphones looks better. Here is mine.  This picture was taken by Brian from BTG Audio and you can see it in his product website. My headset started out as a really beat up pair of SR 225is on Ebay which I probably went overboard with on bidding.  I thought I was getting a bargain because the guy selling it didn't know how to take good pics -- well it was blurred because it was beat to hell!  But they sounded great so I kept them. A year later the driver went bad and I went ahead with cable replacements thinking that was the problem.  A couple of hundred bucks later this is what I got and it is outperforming my stock SR 325is in some cases.

Here are my mods:

Stock plastic Grado SR 225i cups, button removed, lettering sanded, painted and clear coated in copper
shaved side pins
Gretsch chrome steel electric guitar switch tips for the rod ends
8-strand clear,  braided Mogami cable with a Viablue jack from BTG Audio (thanks Brian)
Black Manta cowhide headband (thanks Jin)
Symphones Magnum X drivers

I recently switched to some nice Paduak cups I got of Ebay and I replaced the pins with hex screws.  I can't decide which is better looking.  The only difference in sound signature seems to be a slight  overall increase in volume for the Paduak/Narra cups. My stock 325is beats it for volume and bass quantity. For everything else, particularly detail and instrument separation, this headset wins -- plastic or wood cups.

If someone were to build this thing outright without my pitfalls, and without the purely cosmetic mods,  they would have a set that could go toe to toe (and win in some areas) with a 325i for the price of a 225i.   

May 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,992 of 8,987
May 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,995 of 8,987
Hi All.

I have this question and hope anyone can help.
What is the best method to remove the plastic screen from plastic cup model? By brute force or what? Break it into pieces?

Many thanks.

May 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,997 of 8,987
The grill is also glue using hot glue? Really? If so, nice.

May 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #2,999 of 8,987
Quote:
Hi everyone, I was hesitant to post my mods since everyone else's headphones looks better. Here is mine.  This picture was taken by Brian from BTG Audio and you can see it in his product website. My headset started out as a really beat up pair of SR 225is on Ebay which I probably went overboard with on bidding.  I thought I was getting a bargain because the guy selling it didn't know how to take good pics -- well it was blurred because it was beat to hell!  But they sounded great so I kept them. A year later the driver went bad and I went ahead with cable replacements thinking that was the problem.  A couple of hundred bucks later this is what I got and it is outperforming my stock SR 325is in some cases.

Here are my mods:

Stock plastic Grado SR 225i cups, button removed, lettering sanded, painted and clear coated in copper
shaved side pins
Gretsch chrome steel electric guitar switch tips for the rod ends
8-strand clear,  braided Mogami cable with a Viablue jack from BTG Audio (thanks Brian)
Black Manta cowhide headband (thanks Jin)
Symphones Magnum X drivers

I recently switched to some nice Paduak cups I got of Ebay and I replaced the pins with hex screws.  I can't decide which is better looking.  The only difference in sound signature seems to be a slight  overall increase in volume for the Paduak/Narra cups. My stock 325is beats it for volume and bass quantity. For everything else, particularly detail and instrument separation, this headset wins -- plastic or wood cups.

If someone were to build this thing outright without my pitfalls, and without the purely cosmetic mods,  they would have a set that could go toe to toe (and win in some areas) with a 325i for the price of a 225i.   

I am very curious as to how you built this set for the $$$ of a SR225i? Please elaborate...especially the cups

May 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,000 of 8,987
Quote:
Yes, the grill also uses hot glue, really, so it is nice!

I look at mine it was using some kind of glue stronger than heat glue. I look at some Grado mod pic and indeed they look like hot glue. Maybe the newer fatboy no longer using hot glue? Anyway I hacked mine using brute force sime tiny scratches not really visible and replaced the grill.

Should have tap the Grado wording to prevent missing paint though >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back