post your grado mods....
Mar 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,866 of 8,992
I tried 4 vent holes and it really screwed up midrange and the bass became muddy. then I tried 10 holes and it opened up everything .More dynamic more defined bass and detail. I also noticed that when i damped the magnet on the back of the driver I covered up the two holes on the magnet cover. this also muddled up the sound.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,867 of 8,992
Quote:
I tried 4 vent holes and it really screwed up midrange and the bass became muddy. then I tried 10 holes and it opened up everything .More dynamic more defined bass and detail. I also noticed that when i damped the magnet on the back of the driver I covered up the two holes on the magnet cover. this also muddled up the sound.

Interesting. I noticed the same doing 4 holes and just assumed I did too many. It never occurred to me to open more to fix it.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,868 of 8,992
So after more than a year my woody MS1 just sleeping in headphone case, just couple weeks ago I woke it up and give it new cable and new woody jacket.

Using indian rosewood and copper double helix cable.

Now my next target is a new custom leather headband, hope I can get it next month, will post again later :D

Ah yah, btw thanks to Kopral 21 for the wood, good job man! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,869 of 8,992
ok, I went all in and punched all 10 holes. It did fix the midrange and bass is not muddy anymore, but I think I lost some of the deep low end thud I was getting with 4 holes. These are fist impressions anyway, need to listen more...

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #2,870 of 8,992
Most of us coming from the 1st Grado mod thread played a lot with punching holes and most, if not all, went back to stock. The drivers as they come are "perfect" - early impressions call attention for the new sound. Upon settling down and the honey moon comes to an end, the brain starts to reinterpret and process "normally" the music you're listening to and something is wrong, specially when you listen to a normal driver.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,871 of 8,992

Time to play with the limba...inner sleeves gimbals and rod blocks...will post the results-good or bad.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,872 of 8,992
Quote:
They do look quite excellent
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure if you got really efficient at making them, you could start selling them to people on the forums
wink.gif

good idea djeff.. maybe i will .. right now just for my local friend that on my fb account.. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Yes, according to a dedicated Head-Fi member, thelostMIDrange, Honduran mahogany, maple and limba are among the best sounding woods, as long as your cups are not too big.

thanks for your information man, may be next i'll make wood cup from honduras mahogany, and koa.. some friend have tat wood and they used for build accousitc guitar.. btw how about amboyna burly, it's sound great too?

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,878 of 8,992
Quote:
Modded Grado R60 with PVC faux wood woodies.

LOL, reminds me of a certain funny post, I couldn't find it with a quick search.  Looks nice, by the way.

Quote:
Ok, does anyone know of a link to a good way to wire a removable headphone cable into a pair of SR-80s?  I have gotten annoyed with the stock cable :)

link

With an all-plastic Grado, it will just be easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back