post your grado mods....
May 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2,284 of 8,987
May 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #2,287 of 8,987
Good news =) just found a foam company who is willing to make the earpads. However it will take awhile and a few more meetings until we have a agreement and produce a few for my personal use. I would like to send 2-3 pairs off for free for people to review if i do manage to get them produced to see the effectiveness of the design. =) But that will be much later ... =) whee first problem solved, many more to come =)

Cheers,

Jin

May 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #2,288 of 8,987
What should I do in order to remove the plastic grills from a Grado SR80 or MS1? Cheers

May 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,289 of 8,987
Quote:
What should I do in order to remove the plastic grills from a Grado SR80 or MS1? Cheers

I just pushed on the button until the screen started to give way, I pulled off the big chunks, then proceeded to pull the remaining bits off with pliers. I took care of the little left over bits by sanding them down.

Hope that helps.

May 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,290 of 8,987
Quote:

I just pushed on the button until the screen started to give way, I pulled off the big chunks, then proceeded to pull the remaining bits off with pliers. I took care of the little left over bits by sanding them down.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like it went better than for me, ruined mine imo. 

May 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #2,291 of 8,987
Quote:
Sounds like it went better than for me, ruined mine imo. 

That sucks Posam. I actually had a harder time getting the cups apart due to the amount of glue that was holding them together.

May 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,292 of 8,987
Hello all, I am sure this has been covered in this thread before, but I am new to this web site and didn't want to read through 150+ pages of posts and possibly not find what I was looking for.
redface.gif

Anyway, I recently bought a pair of Grado SR80is, and they have grown on me quite a bit in the short time I have owned them.

I know that Grado uses different ear pads as you move up the line. I am not sure of what models use what pads, but I think there are two or three to choose from...not sure though to be honest.

I thought that I had read somewhere (on this site) that if you switch the foam ear pads to the ones that come on the higher end models, that it will change the performance of the SR80is to closer resemble the "better" models.

Is that true?

If so, what is the best option when trying the various Grado pads?

Thanks.

May 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2,293 of 8,987
Quote:
Hello all, I am sure this has been covered in this thread before, but I am new to this web site and didn't want to read through 150+ pages of posts and possibly not find what I was looking for.
redface.gif

Anyway, I recently bought a pair of Grado SR80is, and they have grown on me quite a bit in the short time I have owned them.

I know that Grado uses different ear pads as you move up the line. I am not sure of what models use what pads, but I think there are two or three to choose from...not sure though to be honest.

I thought that I had read somewhere (on this site) that if you switch the foam ear pads to the ones that come on the higher end models, that it will change the performance of the SR80is to closer resemble the "better" models.

Is that true?

Thanks.

Give this a read: http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-pad-choices-and-mods

May 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2,294 of 8,987
Quote:
redface.gif

Is that true?

Thanks.

Hey Painted Klown,

Yes, this topic has been dealt with quite extensively before. But since you asked I will try and help out the best I can from what I know.

I recently purchased a pair of SR80i as well. Before I ordered them I did a lot of reading on the various pads and when I ordered my phones also I ordered a set of bowls (L Cush), flats, and Sennheiser 414 pads. I have yet to receive my 414 pads, but I have been "pad rolling" the stock "comfies" with the reverse quarter mod, the "bowls" and "flats" to see which one I like the best. I think so far I like bowls the best, although I have been experiencing some ear pain as a result. The bowls seem to be the most balanced between SQ and comfort, for me. The comfies are very comfortable but sacrifice the high end somewhat due to all the foam between the driver and your ear. The flats seemed to have the most bass, but, they are too uncomfortable for me to wear for any length of time.

I don't think replacing your comfies with a set of bowls is going to get you in the same neighborhood as a 325is or an RS1. It will however change the sound to a certain degree and people prefer different pads like they prefer different beer.

I think pad rolling is a good place to start to play around with finding a sound signature you like and it can be done relatively cheap, save for the flat pads.

Physical modding of the headphone is where a bigger sonic difference can be noticed and you can get lower end phones into the neighborhood of their bigger brothers.

I hope that helps. If you need more info or want to know where to purchase pads I'd be happy to help with what I know or even PM me if you like.

Cheers,
Dan

May 27, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2,295 of 8,987
Thanks Slaw Slaw and Dan, that is exactly what I was looking for.
bigsmile_face.gif

From reading these descriptions, I am thinking the "flat" pads from Todd The Vinyl Junkie, just may be the ones for me.

I find the biggest weakness of the SR80is in their bass. If these are a great way to improve bass (over the stock pads) then perhaps I should give them a shot.

Do you guys find that the flat pads provide enough improvement in the bass to warrant their $35 price tag? I just worry that I will drop down $35 bucks for some foam that doesn't live up to my expectations...and I will be stuck with (what I consider expensive) pads that I don't use.

Would another pad be better than the flat pads for increased bass performance?

I am looking (hoping) to find better bass extension, and higher bass output.

Any thoughts? I apologize for the "noob" questions, but I feel that asking users who are experienced with products are better "advisers" than product descriptions.
wink_face.gif

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back