post your grado mods....
May 27, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #2,296 of 8,992
Quote:
Thanks Slaw Slaw and Dan, that is exactly what I was looking for.
bigsmile_face.gif

From reading these descriptions, I am thinking the "flat" pads from Todd The Vinyl Junkie, just may be the ones for me.

I find the biggest weakness of the SR80is in their bass. If these are a great way to improve bass (over the stock pads) then perhaps I should give them a shot.

Do you guys find that the flat pads provide enough improvement in the bass to warrant their $35 price tag? I just worry that I will drop down $35 bucks for some foam that doesn't live up to my expectations...and I will be stuck with (what I consider expensive) pads that I don't use.

Would another pad be better than the flat pads for increased bass performance?

I am looking (hoping) to find better bass extension, and higher bass output.

Any thoughts? I apologize for the "noob" questions, but I feel that asking users who are experienced with products are better "advisers" than product descriptions.
wink_face.gif

Thanks.

Yes the 80is are a tad shy in the bass department. I didn't notice a huge improvement with the flats, I noticed more of an improvement when I punched out 5 holes around the drivers-but that's another thread. :wink: I have heard that reversing a set of bowls can give you an idea of what a flat will sound like. But having said that, flats are the way to go if you want a bit of a boost in the bass.

I think for truly better bass extension one has to mod their Grados or move up to a higher end model as the higher end models have better bass stock.

I do think that the 80i is a hell of a headphone for the money, and with a bit of pad rolling and a few tweaks it is really a nice headphone. I have yet to hear Slayer 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 or any metal or rock sound this good!

May 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #2,297 of 8,992
Quote:

Yes the 80is are a tad shy in the bass department. I didn't notice a huge improvement with the flats, I noticed more of an improvement when I punched out 5 holes around the drivers-but that's another thread. :wink: I have heard that reversing a set of bowls can give you an idea of what a flat will sound like. But having said that, flats are the way to go if you want a bit of a boost in the bass.

I think for truly better bass extension one has to mod their Grados or move up to a higher end model as the higher end models have better bass stock.

I do think that the 80i is a hell of a headphone for the money, and with a bit of pad rolling and a few tweaks it is really a nice headphone. I have yet to hear Slayer 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 or any metal or rock sound this good!

Thanks for the follow up information. It is greatly appreciated. Its sounds like I should save my $35 and attempt to do the hole punch mod...but I'm scared!
redface.gif

I don't want to ruin a set of cans that I just bought (and do enjoy) just to give them more bass. That's why I was so curious about the various pads, and the effect they have on their sound. Maybe I will keep an eye out for some used ones in the buy/sell/trade sections of the forum, and see if I can snag them for cheap. Do people even buy and sell used HP pads, or is that considered too weird? LOL!

Thanks again for the info.

EDIT: I haven't listened to any Slayer on mine yet, but I have to say that "Seasons in the Abyss" is a classic of the genre. Back to back great songs on there, and easily my favorite Slayer record, with Dead Skin Mask, War Ensemble, and Expendable Youth being the standout tracks. 
evil_smiley.gif

I must admit that I am not much of a metal head these days though...too old and mellow now.
tongue_smile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #2,298 of 8,992
Quote:
Thanks for the follow up information. It is greatly appreciated. Its sounds like I should save my $35 and attempt to do the hole punch mod...but I'm scared!
redface.gif

Actually it's amazingly easy - but fair warning - it gets addictive in a hurry.  I'll post a pic of what started for me as MS1i - and refer pic at bottom for what they ended up - I learnt a lot along the way thanks to some of the regulars here.

Here's how they started ......

First advice - play with the pads - it's a mod that definitely changes the sound - and can contribute to comfort.  As advised by others TTVJ flats for bass, Bowls for sound-stage (and for me comfort).  HD414 pads if you don't like the stock comfies (they're softer).  Trick for any of the pads - gentle wash with a mild detergent and fabric softener (I didn't try it with the TTVJ flats).  BYW - I have tried all the pads & the jumbos as well.  Don't buy the jumbos - they're not made for the cheaper end of the line - they will fit, and they are comfortable, but they destroy the sound (unless you go MS1000 mod - haven't tried).

Next step - if you want more bass - hole punch mod.  Use a hairdryer on the cups, and rotate it slowly around the outside.  You don't want it too close (don't get the cups to melting point), but if you rotate slowly, they'll just heat up without burning anything.  Second - the heat goes round the circumference of the cups - not over the driver, or the rear.  After about  a minute, try to pull them apart.  If it doesn't work, give them another 30 seconds.  Repeat until they come apart.

Once apart - I removed all the glue.  The fit is usually tight enough that they'll sit there, and trust me - you'll end up with the backs off again in due course.  Once open, hold the housing with the driver up to the light and you'll see where the holes are.  If you use a ball point pen, you can pierce a hole and have no danger of ruining the driver.  My advise is to do 2 holes at  a time and make them symmetrical (diagonally opposite each other).  Leave it at 2 per cup, reassemble and listen for a while.  If you need more try another pair.  I really wouldn't go over 4 - I know people who've done 10 - but all that bass has an effect on the beautiful mid-range eventually.

BTW - when you put the cups back together be VERY careful with the cable.  The cup edges are sharp, and if you press too much, you run the risk of cutting the cable.  You could just run some black electrical tape over that section of the wire - to give them more protection.

Don't remove the white gauze from the front of the driver.  You'll get a few who'll tell you it makes the sound clearer.  You make your own choice - but (1) it's a flimsy piece of gauze ***, and (2) it's actually protecting the driver from stray hair / dust etc.  Just leave it alone.

If you stick with the plastic cups, a lining of felt inside the cups can help reverb, but to be honest, for me it wasn't hugely noticeable on the plastic (more so on aluminium).  Don't worry about the "dynamat on the back of the driver mod" - I noticed no difference at all.

Next mod is to remove the mesh from the rear of the cup.  This is a permanent mod (no going back).  Use a sharp knife, and take your time.  Sand down the edges once it's all out.  You can put a fine metal mesh back in (buy a cheap sieve, and cut it up).  This minimises resistance of airflow through the back of the cup.  I did not do that with my plastic cups - as I went straight to woodies - so there was no need.

If you're prepared to spend a bit more, find someone to make you a set of woodies (Martin Custom Audio does some beautiful ones) - I'd recommend full woody jackets (fwj).  If you get to that stage, one of us can supply a walk-through.  Apart from changing the driver - I still think this has the biggest overall impact - did for me at least.

Then you're onto driver change (requires soldering skills - but trust me, with practise even a klutz like me learned how - I now even make my own interconnects).  With people still going Magnum from time to time, it's possible to pick up cheap 325i drivers if you look out for them in the FS section.

Lastly - there's the option of changing cable (functionality/aesthetics) and the headband (comfort - recommend Jinteddys!)

That's pretty much everything I covered - somewhere in there I even tried Aluminium cups for a while.  Anyway - started with MS1i - ended up with fwj 325is.  Gimbals and headband inner are still original from the MS1i.  Everything else is modded.

May 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #2,299 of 8,992
Quote:

Actually it's amazingly easy - but fair warning - it gets addictive in a hurry.  I'll post a pic of what started for me as MS1i - and refer pic at bottom for what they ended up - I learnt a lot along the way thanks to some of the regulars here.

Here's how they started ......

First advice - play with the pads - it's a mod that definitely changes the sound - and can contribute to comfort.  As advised by others TTVJ flats for bass, Bowls for sound-stage (and for me comfort).  HD414 pads if you don't like the stock comfies (they're softer).  Trick for any of the pads - gentle wash with a mild detergent and fabric softener (I didn't try it with the TTVJ flats).  BYW - I have tried all the pads & the jumbos as well.  Don't buy the jumbos - they're not made for the cheaper end of the line - they will fit, and they are comfortable, but they destroy the sound (unless you go MS1000 mod - haven't tried).

Next step - if you want more bass - hole punch mod.  Use a hairdryer on the cups, and rotate it slowly around the outside.  You don't want it too close (don't get the cups to melting point), but if you rotate slowly, they'll just heat up without burning anything.  Second - the heat goes round the circumference of the cups - not over the driver, or the rear.  After about  a minute, try to pull them apart.  If it doesn't work, give them another 30 seconds.  Repeat until they come apart.

Once apart - I removed all the glue.  The fit is usually tight enough that they'll sit there, and trust me - you'll end up with the backs off again in due course.  Once open, hold the housing with the driver up to the light and you'll see where the holes are.  If you use a ball point pen, you can pierce a hole and have no danger of ruining the driver.  My advise is to do 2 holes at  a time and make them symmetrical (diagonally opposite each other).  Leave it at 2 per cup, reassemble and listen for a while.  If you need more try another pair.  I really wouldn't go over 4 - I know people who've done 10 - but all that bass has an effect on the beautiful mid-range eventually.

BTW - when you put the cups back together be VERY careful with the cable.  The cup edges are sharp, and if you press too much, you run the risk of cutting the cable.  You could just run some black electrical tape over that section of the wire - to give them more protection.

Don't remove the white gauze from the front of the driver.  You'll get a few who'll tell you it makes the sound clearer.  You make your own choice - but (1) it's a flimsy piece of gauze ***, and (2) it's actually protecting the driver from stray hair / dust etc.  Just leave it alone.

If you stick with the plastic cups, a lining of felt inside the cups can help reverb, but to be honest, for me it wasn't hugely noticeable on the plastic (more so on aluminium).  Don't worry about the "dynamat on the back of the driver mod" - I noticed no difference at all.

Next mod is to remove the mesh from the rear of the cup.  This is a permanent mod (no going back).  Use a sharp knife, and take your time.  Sand down the edges once it's all out.  You can put a fine metal mesh back in (buy a cheap sieve, and cut it up).  This minimises resistance of airflow through the back of the cup.  I did not do that with my plastic cups - as I went straight to woodies - so there was no need.

If you're prepared to spend a bit more, find someone to make you a set of woodies (Martin Custom Audio does some beautiful ones) - I'd recommend full woody jackets (fwj).  If you get to that stage, one of us can supply a walk-through.  Apart from changing the driver - I still think this has the biggest overall impact - did for me at least.

Then you're onto driver change (requires soldering skills - but trust me, with practise even a klutz like me learned how - I now even make my own interconnects).  With people still going Magnum from time to time, it's possible to pick up cheap 325i drivers if you look out for them in the FS section.

Lastly - there's the option of changing cable (functionality/aesthetics) and the headband (comfort - recommend Jinteddys!)

That's pretty much everything I covered - somewhere in there I even tried Aluminium cups for a while.  Anyway - started with MS1i - ended up with fwj 325is.  Gimbals and headband inner are still original from the MS1i.  Everything else is modded.

+1, what Brooko said.

May 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,300 of 8,992
Regarding the pads, InnerFidelity recently evaluated them:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Also, since comfies are pretty cheap, you can achieve similar results of the Flats by cutting a quarter-sized hole in the comfy pads, or getting the HD414 pads and doing the same. Both can be had for ~$10-15.

May 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,301 of 8,992
Quote:
redface.gif

I don't want to ruin a set of cans that I just bought (and do enjoy) just to give them more bass. That's why I was so curious about the various pads, and the effect they have on their sound. Maybe I will keep an eye out for some used ones in the buy/sell/trade sections of the forum, and see if I can snag them for cheap. Do people even buy and sell used HP pads, or is that considered too weird? LOL!

Thanks again for the info.

EDIT: I haven't listened to any Slayer on mine yet, but I have to say that "Seasons in the Abyss" is a classic of the genre. Back to back great songs on there, and easily my favorite Slayer record, with Dead Skin Mask, War Ensemble, and Expendable Youth being the standout tracks. 
evil_smiley.gif

I must admit that I am not much of a metal head these days though...too old and mellow now.
tongue_smile.gif

Seasons is one of my faves along with SOH and RIB. Your never too old for metal, you owe it to yourself to put on Seasons with your Grados. Report back and tell us what you think. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #2,302 of 8,992
Quote:

Seasons is one of my faves along with SOH and RIB. Your never too old for metal, you owe it to yourself to put on Seasons with your Grados. Report back and tell us what you think. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah! Metal truly shines with Grados! 

BTW, here's my older SR6000 mod...I rarely reach for this monster nowadays...too busy playing with new Grado/Aless/Magnum toys.

May 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,303 of 8,992
Quote:

Yeah! Metal truly shines with Grados! 

BTW, here's my older SR6000 mod...I rarely reach for this monster nowadays...too busy playing with new Grado/Aless/Magnum toys.

Where did you have the cups made? Is that a full liberation? Details man, details. Since your not listening to them too often these days, does that mean they are for sale? 
wink.gif

May 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2,304 of 8,992
Quote:

Where did you have the cups made? Is that a full liberation? Details man, details. Since your not listening to them too often these days, does that mean they are for sale? 
wink.gif

Those look like the Jaben cups.  I think a form of acid is used to remove the red / pink anodized color from the cups.

Here's the source for them: http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod.html

May 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #2,305 of 8,992
May 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,306 of 8,992
Quote:

wink.gif

Quote:

Those look like the Jaben cups.  I think a form of acid is used to remove the red / pink anodized color from the cups.

Here's the source for them: http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod.html

Yup! Those are Jaben cups.  I had the anodized red/pink (I hate them!) removed...and had them polished at a local chrome workshop.
I did not re-anodized them (black would look great)...glossy/metallic paint would look awesome too. 
It's a full liberation with resoldering of the drivers...the local Jaben crew will do the work as part of the Jaben metal mod kit purchase.

And I'm not putting these up for sale...haven't even considered letting them go
wink.gif

May 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2,307 of 8,992
Quote:

Yup! Those are Jaben cups.  I had the anodized red/pink (I hate them!) removed...and had them polished at a local chrome workshop.
I did not re-anodized them (black would look great)...glossy/metallic paint would look awesome too. 
It's a full liberation with resoldering of the drivers...the local Jaben crew will do the work as part of the Jaben metal mod kit purchase.

And I'm not putting these up for sale...haven't even considered letting them go
wink.gif

Ya, they sure look nice. How do they sound?

I think I will just end up getting a pair of 325is.

May 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2,309 of 8,992
Cool. good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back