post your grado mods....
May 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,236 of 8,992
@ Boss429 & GREQ im glad you liked the current look :D

if it wasnt for this forum i'd probably have stock SR60i with loose gimbals & rods

if you guys havent upgraded your headband yet, procrastination smiles upon you cos HeadphoneLounge released an EVEN better headband

http://headphonelounge.com/products/grado-headbands/onyx-manta-headband/

jin was gracious enough to sell me (another) prototype a coffee coloured band similar to the onyx
the leather is of higher quality than my two tone. its softer, more supple.
kinda reminds me of a miniture version of the chesterfield lounge in my listening room except i wear it on my head.

May 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,237 of 8,992
There has been some discussion of different cups, I question the value of the reverberations within the airchamber. Has anyone tried grados with "no cups"? Moding the driver to mount directly to the gimbal?

I should have some spare drivers in a couple weeks, I'll start experimenting then.

May 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,238 of 8,992
Quote:
@ Boss429 & GREQ im glad you liked the current look
biggrin.gif

if it wasnt for this forum i'd probably have stock SR60i with loose gimbals & rods
if you guys havent upgraded your headband yet, procrastination smiles upon you cos HeadphoneLounge released an EVEN better headband
http://headphonelounge.com/products/grado-headbands/onyx-manta-headband/
jin was gracious enough to sell me (another) prototype a coffee coloured band similar to the onyx
the leather is of higher quality than my two tone. its softer, more supple.
kinda reminds me of a miniture version of the chesterfield lounge in my listening room except i wear it on my head.

Oh my... those are beautiful. I'm going to need another Grado to warrant that purchase... oh well...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2,239 of 8,992
Quote:
There has been some discussion of different cups, I question the value of the reverberations within the airchamber. Has anyone tried grados with "no cups"? Moding the driver to mount directly to the gimbal?

I should have some spare drivers in a couple weeks, I'll start experimenting then.

That sounds like it could be a really cool idea! Good luck with that, I'll be interested to see what they look like, and how they'll sound

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2,241 of 8,992
Brooko,  Your Grados / Allesandros look excellent.  I love the look of iroko cups, and damn, I miss Cabillas and what he offered for us enthusiasts.

Regarding the Onyx Manta ... that has to be about the sweetest headband that I've ever seen for the Grado line.  Very, very nice.  I can recall my moments of going through 7 or 8 sewing machines about 8 months ago trying to get started on sewing some leather.  I bought heavily into the R&D end to see what various product offerings would achieve.  Sadly, I was left with the same issue that I started with -- there are only 24 hours in a day and I'm still trying to invent more, but creating more time is impossible, as I've learned.  This led to me divesting of my machines and deciding that I couldn't compete with the likes of others who are offering such beautiful head bands and mainly, I realized that if I try to make money off of my hobby, it's no longer a fun hobby.  Nowadays, I find myself performing limited modifications, but mainly applying much of my free time just listening to and enjoying the music.  In the end, that's what brings us here - the desire to enjoy the music, to hear it through a good pair of headphones and to get the most of our hobby.  Enjoy!

May 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2,242 of 8,992
hey guys - quick question. i know i'm technically posting in the wrong place, but you guys are the most well-versed with grado's (and i'm not gonna post a new thread) and i've only had my 225's for a couple of months now, so i'm not very familiar with their construction. earcup came separated from the headband a few weeks ago. would just a bit of glue fix this? loctite?

May 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,243 of 8,992
Probably, yes. Grados are for the most part held together with glue, largely wood glue and hot glue. But, since they're new and you live in the US, you can call Grado. What broke is the Gimbal. The black part on the top is just glued on, and can be popped off and the whole rod pulled out. The part that holds the cup should flex enough to pull the cup out. Ask Grado to send you a new Gimbal. They may request the whole can, in which case you will likely pay shipping. Alternatively, some glue will probably work. Others may have more experience than I and be able to advise you on what glue would work best. For most things, I'm quite partial to epoxy tamales, but that's just me.

May 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2,244 of 8,992
Quote:
hey guys - quick question. i know i'm technically posting in the wrong place, but you guys are the most well-versed with grado's (and i'm not gonna post a new thread) and i've only had my 225's for a couple of months now, so i'm not very familiar with their construction. earcup came separated from the headband a few weeks ago. would just a bit of glue fix this? loctite?

Yep - had that happen to mine as well.  I used loctite.  Superglue or elephant glue would do same.  Just make sure when you do it that you push the rod all the way back down into the gimbal, and have a cloth handy to wipe off any excess.

May 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #2,245 of 8,992
Quote:

Not to be rude, but rather I'll be forward... It seems pretty obvious if you ask me - just superglue it back in. Also, if you want to ask John Grado for new gimbals (which I have done before) you can just e-mail him saying yours broke and he'll send you new ones free of charge. Although it seemed kind of like they were the scrap gimbals that had defects and what not. Either way, it works.

May 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2,246 of 8,992
Quote:

Not to be rude, but rather I'll be forward... It seems pretty obvious if you ask me - just superglue it back in. Also, if you want to ask John Grado for new gimbals (which I have done before) you can just e-mail him saying yours broke and he'll send you new ones free of charge. Although it seemed kind of like they were the scrap gimbals that had defects and what not. Either way, it works.

wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem and what they did to fix it. either way, i'm actually more concerned what kind of glue to use. loctite (my go-to) can be very harmful on plastic parts, hence me specifying loctite and not being familiar with the grado's construction. uh-duhr. but thanks. to all of you. i'll try it out today.

May 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,247 of 8,992
Here are the mods I performed today on my SR80i. This is a cross post from another Grado thread.

I did however perform some minor surgery on my beloved Grados. The most frustrating part was getting the cups apart. I tried twice to steam them apart to no avail. I then borrowed the wife's hair dryer and  heated them up slowly that way. Presto! They came apart no problem. I them removed all residual glue from the cups. Next was the removal of the plastic screen that holds the model number button. They came off in fairly large chunks, but I still had to pick off little pieces that just didn't want to let go. Once I had all the plastic removed I traced the inside diameter of the cup onto a piece of cardstock so I could transfer that to the metal screen. I traced the circle with a black sharpie onto the metal screen I had, then I proceeded to cut out the screen with tin snips. At this point I checked the fit and trimmed accordingly. Once the fit was to my satisfaction I roughed up the screens with some steel wool. Once that was done I cleaned them and took them outside to be painted. I gave them two coats of red and let them dry while I got busy my other tasks.

I had done a lot of reading about other people punching holes in the fabric on the back of the driver and I decided I would try punching two holes in each cup. After that was done i went to work applying white tack to the back of the magnet plate as well as lining the walls of the cups. For cosmetics I coloured the white tack black with a Sharpie.

Once the screens were dry enough, I glued them in place with Krazy Glue. Now all that was left to do was put everything back together.

Once I got them back together and had my first listen to my newly modded cans, I smiled. Everything still worked, no dead drivers, no "Grattle", just pure Grado sound, only better. The vent mod definitely increased the bass. The bass is more punchy, and weighty. I also think there is a bit more soundstage (could be placebo) due to the cans now having increased venting due to the new screen. I think the treble is a bit tamer due to the damping, everything just seems smoother as a result.

So was it worth it? Absolutely. I think the sonic gains won are worth the time and energy I spent. I also like the way my Grados look now. Next on my list is a headband from Headphone Lounge and then possibly wood or aluminum cups.

Cheers,
Dan

May 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,248 of 8,992

So last night I cut up a pair of senn 414 yellow pads, and cut the backing mesh off a pair of beyer pads, and glued these onto the outside.   It gives a little bit of extra isolation (which is nice) as they are now circumaural. 

I'm not really all that good with trying to describe these things, but  I do think they sound just a touch warmer this way.  The highs are still very present and well defined, but a little bit less airy.  I actually think this makes them sound a lot better for listening to speech, it sounds a lot more natural to me.

May 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,249 of 8,992
Quote:
There are now two sellers on ebay with $30 wooden cups, this is getting very tempting...

They both look identical, which is odd:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-RS1-RS2-Headphone-Walnut-Wood-Cups/140746324970?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=004&category=14985&cmd=ViewItem

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-RS1-RS2-Headphone-Walnut-Wood-Cups/251052180701?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=015&category=112529&cmd=ViewItem

(No affiliation with either)

The maker seems to be a head-fier, anyone have anymore info?

I'm tempted to have a go at making a pair myself, because those don't look too difficult.

I was going to try to lathe some cups myself a year or 2 ago, but I just don't have time to learn and don't know anyone with a lathe close by. Most completed cups are just too expensive in my opinion. I cannot afford to put $150 into wood cups. My headphones were less than that.

I messaged this guy on eBay about the size and have not heard back yet!

May 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,250 of 8,992
Quote:

I was going to try to lathe some cups myself a year or 2 ago, but I just don't have time to learn and don't know anyone with a lathe close by. Most completed cups are just too expensive in my opinion. I cannot afford to put $150 into wood cups. My headphones were less than that.

I messaged this guy on eBay about the size and have not heard back yet!

Let me know, I may pick up a pair, too. I was thinking that since they need to be halved to make cups for anything other than with G-cush, that a single pair may suffice to yield two sets of cups. If so, I would gladly buy your second set. I noticed that the price has gone up to $50 in one of the links I posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back