post your grado mods....
May 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #2,206 of 8,987
Just a report back.

I bought these on ebay a while back to try on my modded SR80s.  And these, for lack of a better description, sounds like absolute ass on the grados.  Muffled bass, killed the treble and mids, and overall, makes them sound like the beats solo.

Unless you are a fan of the solos, and I doubt anyone could be, stay clear of them.  I am going to remove the cloth to see if that would help.  Just horrible, horrible sounding on the SR80s.

May 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,207 of 8,987
Quote:
Just a report back.

I bought these on ebay a while back to try on my modded SR80s.  And these, for lack of a better description, sounds like absolute ass on the grados.  Muffled bass, killed the treble and mids, and overall, makes them sound like the beats solo.

Unless you are a fan of the solos, and I doubt anyone could be, stay clear of them.  I am going to remove the cloth to see if that would help.  Just horrible, horrible sounding on the SR80s.

Any leather, or pleather pads will do this, it traps the bass and ruins everything. Trust me, I put sony xb500 pads on my rs1i and was confused by the abundance of bass...and lack of anything else.

May 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2,209 of 8,987
Not sure if this counts as a mod. But a while ago i messed up my grados and one ear wouldn't play. I was close to throwing them out a couple of times. And was considering sending them in for a costly recable. But after doing a little research i found out it wouldn't be too expensive to try and recable them. So after about 2 hrs and 25 bucks i finally got them fixed. I learned a lot and i am interested in picking up some cheap used grados to some more crazy mods. But for now i got my throwaround headphones back. I hoped the red cable would be a little more red but for now they do the job. I look forward to trying so more aesthetically pleasing recables.

May 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2,210 of 8,987
The leather headband hurt me so much that's the first mod I'd do!

May 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,211 of 8,987
Quote:
The leather headband hurt me so much that's the first mod I'd do!

I can see why you might feel that way. But i am black, and usually keep a little bit of afro going. Its amazing how different they feel when i have hair and after i have shaved my head lol

May 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,213 of 8,987
Quote:
Not sure if this counts as a mod. But a while ago i messed up my grados and one ear wouldn't play. I was close to throwing them out a couple of times. And was considering sending them in for a costly recable. But after doing a little research i found out it wouldn't be too expensive to try and recable them. So after about 2 hrs and 25 bucks i finally got them fixed. I learned a lot and i am interested in picking up some cheap used grados to some more crazy mods. But for now i got my throwaround headphones back. I hoped the red cable would be a little more red but for now they do the job. I look forward to trying so more aesthetically pleasing recables.

That is aesthetically pleasing! I love it

May 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2,214 of 8,987
^^^^ Thanks i am glad you think so. I think the color is growing more and more on me. But when i look at some of the braided cables that people make i am just amazed. But i guess its all in time. I think i am going to make an interconnect or something next.

As far as the headphones they are still working which surprises me, given my past track record of fixing things. They even sound better, but that is probably cos i am biased, and honestly i cant remember what they sounded like with the old cable.

May 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,215 of 8,987
I'm going to begin modifying my 225s soon! I've got wood inners I'll be placing in the cups, and I have the parts for a detachable cable mod as well. I think I'm also going to paint them, although I'm a little hesitant to alter that stock look. I was thinking of painting the main body a gloss white, and paint the Grado labs lettering black, along with the grill. It will be a fun project to undertake. I'll post photos here as I progress. I'm just waiting for my soldering iron to arrive before I begin...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2,217 of 8,987
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I am looking for aluminum cups for a up coming project. Does anyone have suggestions where I can get these made? I know the common Grado modders ie. MCA works mostly with wood cups. 

My first choice was Jaben aluminum cups but they have been out of stock for months. http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod.html

I was planning on using 2" copper end caps from any plumbing supplier. I don't know if copper sounds drastically different than aluminum, but they just a few dollars per end-cap.

May 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,218 of 8,987
Quote:
I was planning on using 2" copper end caps from any plumbing supplier. I don't know if copper sounds drastically different than aluminum, but they just a few dollars per end-cap.

If you do go that route, make sure they are as close to regular size as possible, if their too long they will sound bad and probably the same if their too short. 

May 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2,219 of 8,987
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I am looking for aluminum cups for a up coming project. Does anyone have suggestions where I can get these made? I know the common Grado modders ie. MCA works mostly with wood cups. 

My first choice was Jaben aluminum cups but they have been out of stock for months. http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod.html

I would advise against the jaben aluminum cups, i have tried them before and they are crazy heavy. Its like a GS1000 milled in aluminum with added weight. http://www.bb3.com.au/ These aren't in production yet so you could ask them if they would make one for you. No idea if they would respond. Lastly you could do what i did to get a set of aluminum cups; i searched the forums for people who did wood cup mods for their SR325is and PM'ed them (actually the first person i found) if he would let them go for a price.... and now i do have a set of alu cups =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back