post your grado mods....
May 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,221 of 8,992
I was planning on using 2" copper end caps from any plumbing supplier. I don't know if copper sounds drastically different than aluminum, but they just a few dollars per end-cap.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to find something a bit more refined. Definitely post pictures of how the copper end caps turn out.

I would advise against the jaben aluminum cups, i have tried them before and they are crazy heavy. Its like a GS1000 milled in aluminum with added weight. http://www.bb3.com.au/ These aren't in production yet so you could ask them if they would make one for you. No idea if they would respond. Lastly you could do what i did to get a set of aluminum cups; i searched the forums for people who did wood cup mods for their SR325is and PM'ed them (actually the first person i found) if he would let them go for a price.... and now i do have a set of alu cups =)

Thanks for the link. The bb3 cups is exactly what I am looking for. I e-mailed bb3 hoping they will get back to me. Since the cups are not available yet, I am doubtful I will get any response.

I also read the Jaben aluminum cups are heavier compared to the PS1000. The PS1000's are already very heavy from my experience. You are probably right in that they are too heavy.

May 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2,224 of 8,992
Well - I think I'm now finally finished - and I couldn't be happier with the whole set-up (sound, look, and comfort).  Completed pic immediately below:

These started out as vanilla Alessandro MS1i and finished as fully customised Grado 325i woodies.  Summary of changes in order of appearance + a few photos of the journey .......

Started as vanilla MS1i

Opened cups, vented drivers (4 holes), added felt to dampen chambers
Quarter-modded senn414 pads, also tried the comfies, bowls and even the jumbos.  Also tried the TTFJ flats.  Ended up selling the rest and keeping the bowls.

Bought aluminium MS2i cups from another head-fier, fitted them plus a snap-on Beyer headband.

Swapped the aluminium chambers for a full woody jacket in Iroko (Cabillas)
Recabled with Mogami mini starquad

Transplanted SR325i drivers from another head-fier - vented two holes in each driver for a touch more bass.
Added very comfortable and excellently fitting headband from Jinteddy (Headphone Lounge - highly recommend)
Removed collar locks
Reterminated plug - found one better fitting that looked tidier.

And that's how I've finished - (refer top picture)

Extremely happy with end product.  I use them often (pretty much every day) in rotation with other cans I own.

May 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,226 of 8,992
Quote:
Well - I think I'm now finally finished - and I couldn't be happier with the whole set-up (sound, look, and comfort).  Completed pic immediately below:

These started out as vanilla Alessandro MS1i and finished as fully customised Grado 325i woodies.  Summary of changes in order of appearance + a few photos of the journey .......

Started as vanilla MS1i

Quarter-modded senn414 pads, also tried the comfies, bowls and even the jumbos.  Also tried the TTFJ flats.  Ended up selling the rest and keeping the bowls.

Bought aluminium MS2i cups from another head-fier, fitted them plus a snap-on Beyer headband.

Transplanted SR325i drivers from another head-fier - vented two holes in each driver for a touch more bass.
Added very comfortable and excellently fitting headband from Jinteddy (Headphone Lounge - highly recommend)
Removed collar locks

Extremely happy with end product.  I use them often (pretty much every day) in rotation with other cans I own.

Glad you like the headband =) your grados look great! exactly the same as mine except im using sapele cups by cabillas. Plan to use sr325i cups and have wood inners made for them. Im a big fan of the aluminum look =)

May 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,227 of 8,992
Quote:
Glad you like the headband =) your grados look great! exactly the same as mine except im using sapele cups by cabillas. Plan to use sr325i cups and have wood inners made for them. Im a big fan of the aluminum look =)

In the end it was the sound that got me - plus the wood is a lot lighter.  I didn't try the 325i with aluminium as I only bought the drivers (by that time I'd sold the aluminium cups).  But when I tried the MS1i with the Aluminium, it definitely sounded sharper (more high emphasis).  The 325i drivers sound absolutely excellent with the fwj - they're still bright and detailed - but in a good way (no sibilance or shriekiness).

Your headbands are really great - kudos!

May 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,228 of 8,992
Quote:

In the end it was the sound that got me - plus the wood is a lot lighter.  I didn't try the 325i with aluminium as I only bought the drivers (by that time I'd sold the aluminium cups).  But when I tried the MS1i with the Aluminium, it definitely sounded sharper (more high emphasis).  The 325i drivers sound absolutely excellent with the fwj - they're still bright and detailed - but in a good way (no sibilance or shriekiness).

Your headbands are really great - kudos!

Hey thanks for all the impressions, it really saves me the trouble with trying my magnums with full aluminum =) i cant wait to make my hybrid wood and alu cups and magnum drivers but my carpenter has been delaying the work on the wood inners for many months now .. i have a feeling that he just isn't interested. ill give my impressions if he finally does make them .. fingers crossed. I love cabillas's work and esp the lightness of the cups! however i plan to switch back to alu cups because im a sucker for anything that looks like a grado even though there may be a decrease in sound quality. Criminal to think that way i know but i guess the grado look has really got to me. =) nice work, been actually following your mods since you installed the rod blocks and cabillas cups months ago =) 

May 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2,229 of 8,992
Quote:

Started as vanilla MS1i

Removed collar locks

Good job Brooko, these cans look amazing! Did you do the cable yourself and where did you get the rod blocks from? 

I've also got a set of SR325i drivers and the other bits and pieces to put together a set of modded Grado, the only thing that I'm missing is the wooden cups which I don't have yet. I think I'll use one of my non-awivel headbands instead of the GRADO ones.

Can you describe how is the sound signature like?

May 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2,230 of 8,992
Quote:

Good job Brooko, these cans look amazing! Did you do the cable yourself and where did you get the rod blocks from? 

I've also got a set of SR325i drivers and the other bits and pieces to put together a set of modded Grado, the only thing that I'm missing is the wooden cups which I don't have yet. I think I'll use one of my non-awivel headbands instead of the GRADO ones.

Can you describe how is the sound signature like?

Hi Allan

Thanks - I did all the mods myself.  Was just a matter of getting enough confidence to actually try different things.  I learnt a lot along the way + the journey was a lot of fun.  Best part was learning to solder - has led me to making my own interconnects and other cables.  Both fun and rewarding.  Cable was me - although it did arrive with the split already done.  I just attached and terminated it.  I would feel confident enough to do one from straight cable now though - it's actually not that difficult.

The rod blocks are just originals.  I had lockable collars on for a while - but found that when I switched to Jinteddy's headband, I no longer needed them (the headband contacts the rods and keeps them firm).

Sound signature is interesting with the 325is - couple of disclaimers, and then my 'take' on them.
  • I'm 45 - so my ears are well burnt in 
    wink.gif
    , plus I'm probably missing some of the extreme high freq range.
  • I have low level permanent tinnitus - again probably affects my ability to hear the real highs
  • I prefer a balanced & natural sound - favourite cans are the HD600.
  • My 325is are modded with both the FWJ woodies and 2 holes each driver.

The 325is to me - with a variety of sources:
  1. Bass is really punchy, far more there than my MS1i ever were.  Probably doesn't extend hugely into the sub-bass (if at all), but for classic rock and blues, the beautiful mid-bass is more than enough for me.
  2. Mid-range is beautiful, warm and alive - very typical Grado.  Guitars are crunchy - and enjoyable.  Vocals are amazingly clear and articulate
  3. Highs are definitely bright, but not peaky or overdone (to me).  So far I've noticed no sibilance (could be just my aged ears).  Detail is really good, a major step up from the MS1i.
  4. Soundstage is typical Grado - you're either on the stage, or if the from row.  Music is alive - like no other cans I own really.  Love them with blues, classic rock, even some jazz.

I can see why a lot of people will find the 325i too bright - but I really like it.  I think you have to be a Grado fan to appreciate them.  They're keepers for me anyway !

May 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #2,231 of 8,992
greetings from sydney

a quick photo of my SR60i with the following mods:

* i lost one of the black rubber stops that rest on the metal rods & the rods were loose so heatshrink was added
* place rod locks above & below plastic housing to prevent movement thus making my cans custom to my head
* flats from TTVJ, great for bass heavy material (hard to make out from pic, i know)
* prototype two tone black/brown Manta leather headband
* vented 3 holes on drivers
* blu-tak mod
* removed plastic button
* replaced plastic grille with a metal one

a real joy to use during down time at work :)

especially with my custom RA1 clone which features a nice "bass boost" feature, runs on two 9 volt 650mAh batteries
its got mini jack line in at the front, rca inputs & input selector on the rear

May 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #2,233 of 8,992
@ZEROES n ONES - That headband look crazy comfortable and the rod locks are such a good idea. 

May 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2,234 of 8,992
Has anyone tried making cups out of MDF? I know a lot of speakers are made of this material. It is very dense and might be an alternative to traditional hardwoods and aluminum. 

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Dan

May 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,235 of 8,992
Quote:
Has anyone tried making cups out of MDF? I know a lot of speakers are made of this material. It is very dense and might be an alternative to traditional hardwoods and aluminum. 

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Dan

I think it would work pretty well, and really deaden the cups, if you could get the density right and get the appropriate molds. That's why I was thinking of corrugated cardboard, which I'm told can have similar properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back