post your grado mods....
Dec 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #1,876 of 8,992
Just inherited some Sr80's

I'm wanting to do some mods, mostly just pads, headband and cable. Are there suggested compenents or is it totally down to preference?

I've seen 414pads mentioned a lot as well as Todds flats? This was the early pages though so I dunno if things have changed a lot in the past few years. Any info would be ace!

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,877 of 8,992
I think it's really personal preference. To me, the modded 414 pads sound just about as good as the "bowls" and are way the hell more comfortable (I use my MS1is anywhere from 2 to 6 hours a day with zero comfort issues, and I haven't even put the leather headband on yet).

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,880 of 8,992
in the first pic you can see the inside of the cup where i added sculpey clay to cover the inside like what people are doing with fostex mods. in the second pic i glued a brocade fabric to the underside of the grado plastic rings which i then glued back in place. sorry for the poor punctuation, my phone will not let me do certain things in this forum.

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #1,881 of 8,992

Quote:
in the first pic you can see the inside of the cup where i added sculpey clay to cover the inside like what people are doing with fostex mods. in the second pic i glued a brocade fabric to the underside of the grado plastic rings which i then glued back in place. sorry for the poor punctuation, my phone will not let me do certain things in this forum.

So no bass and all highs? Why would anyone do that!

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,882 of 8,992

Quote:
So no bass and all highs? Why would anyone do that!

awhile back i punched out all the holes in the back of the driver so there was no shortage of bass and a bit too much midbass. the sculpey clay tightened everything up a bit and actually increases the bass depth just a bit. the brocade fabric has about the same effect as the the fabric stuff did  covering the holes on the back of the driver and attunuated the bass just a bit having the effect of bringing out the mids more which are also a bit better defined because of the slulpey damping resonances and standing waves. i think the bass depth and quatity is roughly equal to stock sr80i with better definition.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,885 of 8,992

Quote:

awhile back i punched out all the holes in the back of the driver so there was no shortage of bass and a bit too much midbass. the sculpey clay tightened everything up a bit and actually increases the bass depth just a bit. the brocade fabric has about the same effect as the the fabric stuff did  covering the holes on the back of the driver and attunuated the bass just a bit having the effect of bringing out the mids more which are also a bit better defined because of the slulpey damping resonances and standing waves. i think the bass depth and quatity is roughly equal to stock sr80i with better definition.

There are hole in my RS2 driver as well*that's just how it looks anyways* putting my hands over the opening sucks out everything but the highend. How does that mod sound assuming they are closed back.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,886 of 8,992

Quote:
There are hole in my RS2 driver as well*that's just how it looks anyways* putting my hands over the opening sucks out everything but the highend. How does that mod sound assuming they are closed back.

It's not really closed back. The fabric is something like 75% transparent (obviously varies depending on frequency) to sound so it's mostly open. I could have used something like silk which should be close to something like 100% but I just happened to have the brocade fabric around and it took care of the issue of a little too much bass. As well as slightly reducing the sound to people around me if I go out. I would classify the sound as something like a quality mini-monitor speaker. Where the midbass is not bumped up to simulate more bass like cheap speakers but more dry, extends down to a point and then just drops off. So it lacks the very lowest octaves like most Grado phones but is satisfying to me at least and has good definition. I really can't say more without having a stock SR80i to compare directly to. When I get some better phones I would be happy to send them off to anybody to check out soundwise. I played around with them alot anyway just for fun experimenting and they are pretty beat up already.

Sorry about the crappy pics. The lens on my camera is broken so I had to use my phone which is just awful.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,887 of 8,992
Sr-80s with most Bilavideo Grado mods done to them except for silver recable. They came with comfies and I have purchased both the bowls and jumbos and ultimately decided that bowl pads wrapped with fuzzy socks sound and feel the best. I did all the mods to one can at a time so that I would be able to tell the difference the mods made and I can say the improvement is stellar. However, I punched all ten holes and to be honest the bass is overwhelming, so I'll have to find the best way to fix that.

I'm currently working on doing a homestyle Magnum upgrade to my Grados. I ordered some round tube aluminum to my shop and I am prepared to replicate and replace the plastic parts using a lathe to do the machining. I'll update in a week or so when I finish my project.
tongue_smile.gif

If someone here has replaced the parts with wood or aluminum, would you mind giving me your opinion/advice on whether I should go for the all aluminum treatment or do a tonewood/aluminum hybrid? Any other advice about the conversion would be much appreciated.

Sorry the photo is so spotty, it's just easiest to upload pictures with my phone 

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #1,888 of 8,992
Hello all Grado modders out there.

Just wondering if any of you guys have figured out what type of adhesive/glue is used by Grado on their Reference Series headphones?

Cheers

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,890 of 8,992
I prefer the look, feel and sound of the L-cush. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back