post your grado mods....
Dec 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #1,863 of 8,992

Thank you Martin much appreciated  (Coming from the master of custom 
wink.gif
)

The foster headphone is actually a cheap buy from a Big American Store. I just removed the clothing material behind the external cup grill and added a metal mesh from a pasta sieve and open the back with my Dremmel.

ps: How's is your waiting list for wood cup this day?
Quote:
@Twinster,
Very cool sir and nice pics.  A wolf in wolve's clothing. 

You must have CND'd those? 

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #1,864 of 8,992
Not sure these fit in here, but these are the basic mods I have started to make to my Grado SR80i.

1. Removal of the membrane covering the front of the headphone.

2. Punching holes into the rear of the drivers. I found the cups really easy to take apart using the "spoon method". Initially started with four holes, but have since changed this and gone to five.

I have also ordered some L-Cush earpads for these and they should arrive early next week. I'm also thinking I may add a blob of bluetack to the back of the drivers today.

Future mods will include a rewire of the cable and also wooden earcups from Martin Custom Audio. At the moment I am trying to work out whether to leave the plastic "Air Chamber" in place and go for slip ons, or whether to liberate the drivers and go for full size cups. I just dont want big cups sat on my head.

Will keep you posted and updated as these mods progress.

Jason

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,866 of 8,992
Maybe he will move his bed to the workshop..
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Long to quite long.  Ack.  I wish I could do this full time.  

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,867 of 8,992

Good start!

Quote:
Not sure these fit in here, but these are the basic mods I have started to make to my Grado SR80i.

1. Removal of the membrane covering the front of the headphone.

2. Punching holes into the rear of the drivers. I found the cups really easy to take apart using the "spoon method". Initially started with four holes, but have since changed this and gone to five.

I have also ordered some L-Cush earpads for these and they should arrive early next week. I'm also thinking I may add a blob of bluetack to the back of the drivers today.

Future mods will include a rewire of the cable and also wooden earcups from Martin Custom Audio. At the moment I am trying to work out whether to leave the plastic "Air Chamber" in place and go for slip ons, or whether to liberate the drivers and go for full size cups. I just dont want big cups sat on my head.

Will keep you posted and updated as these mods progress.

Jason

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,868 of 8,992
I saw that you have insulate your shop so I guest you will be working all winter?

I'm not in a hurry and can appreciate my Magnum with the attic slip-on for now but I know you can make them look like a million bucks 
wink.gif

Quote:

Long to quite long.  Ack.  I wish I could do this full time.  

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #1,869 of 8,992

Quote:
Good start!

Cheers mate,

I have also just ordered the L-Cush earpads, and also taken the plunge and ordered some wooden cups from Martin Audio along with some Silver Coated Copper cable for a rewire.

Cant wait to get these and undertake the mods, including liberating the drivers on my SR80i and seeing what the results are like.

Excited doesn't really explain how I feel at the moment !!!

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,870 of 8,992
Right now I have the stock comfies on my SR80is.  I've been reading about tape-modding the bowls, but I was wondering if I quarter-modded my comfies could I somehow also tape around them to increase the bass?  Does tape-modding the comfies work at all?

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,871 of 8,992

I doubt that would work. They are too thin. It work on the bowl because their is more space between the driver and your ear.
Quote:
Right now I have the stock comfies on my SR80is.  I've been reading about tape-modding the bowls, but I was wondering if I quarter-modded my comfies could I somehow also tape around them to increase the bass?  Does tape-modding the comfies work at all?

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,873 of 8,992
Hey guys, I just purchased a pair of Grado PS500s.  These are my first pair of Grados, and I'm going to leave them stock for a while but would y'all recommend for modding the ear pads?  They're a bit uncomfortable during long (2+ hr) listening sessions and leave my ears feeling sore.

I'm not a particularly gifted modder by any means, so I'm looking for something relatively simple to do.  I'll spend $50-75 if I have too.  Really appreciate any advice y'all might have!

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,874 of 8,992

Quote:
Hey guys, I just purchased a pair of Grado PS500s.  These are my first pair of Grados, and I'm going to leave them stock for a while but would y'all recommend for modding the ear pads?  They're a bit uncomfortable during long (2+ hr) listening sessions and leave my ears feeling sore.

I'm not a particularly gifted modder by any means, so I'm looking for something relatively simple to do.  I'll spend $50-75 if I have too.  Really appreciate any advice y'all might have!

Wash the ear pads in the sink. Find directions in this thread. Maybe with hand or dish soap? I dont remember what or if any soap is recommended lol. It will make the pads softer for longer listening sessions.

EDIT: Found more info searching thread for "softer" Page 72 post 1,078

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,875 of 8,992

Modded HD414 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back