post your grado mods....
Oct 25, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #1,816 of 8,992

Quote:
Yeah, I used a pretty regular multimeter and I measured the thing that I thought would maybe cause the volume difference. And yes, the one with the higher impedance, is a little queter. As I said, the difference is obvious and not only to me. I don't have access to a working oscilloscope, so maybe there are other things to try in order to het the same volume from both the drivers?

Well the only thing I can reccomend that I think might help is resoldering the contact points.

I really doubt adding a resistor in series will help, though a parallel configuration might work, but you'll have to recalculate the resistance needed all over again. (can't remember atm)

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,817 of 8,992

Quote:
I got sick and tired of my Grado SR-80s pinching in on the back/rear of my ear lobes.  Instead of stretching out the headband, which would make it too loose to stay on my head.  I decided to add set screws to the bit that hold the rotating gubbins.

This way I can set the angle to have it feel comfortable .. with more pressure on my skull part & less pressure on my ear rear lobes.
 ​

That's pretty clever; I wanted to use set screws too for the blocks, but just to keep them from sliding down. Adding more rotation sounds like a great idea.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #1,818 of 8,992

Quote:
Well the only thing I can reccomend that I think might help is resoldering the contact points.

I really doubt adding a resistor in series will help, though a parallel configuration might work, but you'll have to recalculate the resistance needed all over again. (can't remember atm)

Already done that. Completly cleaned the terminals and added new solder (along with new cable -- but this was done because I wanted a shorter one than the original).

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,819 of 8,992
Does anyone make an aftermarket replacement for the grado plastic blocks (where the posts and headphone bar insert)? Wood? Machined Aluminum? Anything other than plastic... 

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,820 of 8,992
bumping a legendary thread

also, part time stoneworker here, i have a block of steatite here (soft gray stone, turns deep black when finished with beeswax), does it seem like a good idea to try to make a new enclosure for my SR-80, or is it a waste of time?

if i don't get any replies, i may just do it for ****s and giggles

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #1,821 of 8,992

Quote:
bumping a legendary thread

also, part time stoneworker here, i have a block of steatite here (soft gray stone, turns deep black when finished with beeswax), does it seem like a good idea to try to make a new enclosure for my SR-80, or is it a waste of time?

if i don't get any replies, i may just do it for ****s and giggles

Stone cups? 
eek.gif
 Give it a try. It may just become the next wood/metal.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,822 of 8,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stone cups? 
eek.gif
 Give it a try. It may just become the next wood/metal.

that's what i was thinking... no one's tried it yet! 
dt880smile.png

i was thinking about it, and decided that i may as well rebuild the whole damn headphone other than the driver (new headband, rods, rod lock, cups and wire), all from stone and some tough metal, probably titanium. 

tentative mod name: The Stoner 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,823 of 8,992

Quote:

that's what i was thinking... no one's tried it yet! 
dt880smile.png

i was thinking about it, and decided that i may as well rebuild the whole damn headphone other than the driver (new headband, rods, rod lock, cups and wire), all from stone and some tough metal, probably titanium. 

tentative mod name: The Stoner 
biggrin.gif

Dude if you actually do that mod and if by some miracle it sounds good I'll post a video on this thread of me eating my SR60i's lmao.
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #1,824 of 8,992

Quote:
Dude if you actually do that mod and if by some miracle it sounds good I'll post a video on this thread of me eating my SR60i's lmao.
tongue.gif

@mcdeeda: You just got all the incentive you ever needed to build them. Even if they don't sound good don't tell him ;P

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #1,826 of 8,992

Originally Posted by DigitalFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

@mcdeeda: You just got all the incentive you ever needed to build them. Even if they don't sound good don't tell him ;P

Well there's all the motivation i need. I'll probably start on Thursday, i have nothing going on then and my new dremel bits should be here by then; maybe i can be finished with the cups Sunday. the rest won't be too tough, unless i'm digging a deeper hole for myself than i realize 
cool.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #1,827 of 8,992
I've invested about $2 into modifying my SR80i.  I opened up all the holes in each driver, did the quarter mod to the foam, and lined the cups with about 1/8" of blue tack.  I'm really liking the way they sound.  Next up is to remove the back screen and either leave it open or replace it with a metal screen.  My dad is a skilled woodworker, so I'm also considering about talking to him about fabricating a set of woodies for me.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,829 of 8,992

Quote:
I've invested about $2 into modifying my SR80i.  I opened up all the holes in each driver, did the quarter mod to the foam, and lined the cups with about 1/8" of blue tack.  I'm really liking the way they sound.  Next up is to remove the back screen and either leave it open or replace it with a metal screen.  My dad is a skilled woodworker, so I'm also considering about talking to him about fabricating a set of woodies for me.

You lucky lucky guy. Or girl. Get the woodies done, fully liberate the Grados, you won't ever look back.

Quote:
I just received a pair of PS500 and want to mod them (just kidding) and was using SR-225i before that. I also have a pair of SR-225 that haven't been used in over a year so I thought I may want to mod them. For kicks, I plugged them in last night and gave them a whirl. After they warmed up a bit I was reminded just how good they sound. Absolutely great and so much that I am not sure I'll touch them. Although I would like to possibly upgrade the cable. What is the general consensus on a cable these days? thanks.

General consensus on a cable? Are we still on head-fi here? O.O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back