post your grado mods....
Oct 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,787 of 8,992

Quote:
Looking forward to that feedback
biggrin.gif

Is anyone of the selected few able to compare a Full Woody Magnum with a stock Magnum? This would, obviously, be ideal.

Sadly, I don't think any of us on the test have deep enough pockets for the regular "full blown" Magnum.  There are plenty of people out there, but not in the testing circle this time around.

I like the look of aluminum cup headphones, but do have issues at times with the extra weight that they carry along.  I guess the question remains - how thin could someone turn the aluminum so it could just "wrap" a wooden cup?  This would minimize the weight by a significant amount and keep that aluminum appearance.  I might just wrap a pair of my woodies with beer cans and see how it turns out. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,789 of 8,992

Quote:
do you remember what kind of spraypaint? and i think i bought one of those letter trays last week so i think i'll just cut it up

I believe it was a spraypaint that is used on car engines... that's what the picture on the cover was. It's back at my parents house so I can't verify - but I just showed the material to an employee and he handed me the proper spraypaint.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #1,792 of 8,992
Very pretty - and nice addition of the folding mechanism. No leather or anything over those top straps?

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,794 of 8,992

Quote:

Pictures of my Alu mod:

I have been messing around with these for a while, now they're finished.
Unfortunately I screwed up one of the drivers and am now looking for a new pair of "donor" cans.

Interesting...what drivers are those? HP1000?

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,797 of 8,992
My dad made these aluminum cups and yolk for me thanks to all the design specs on this site. I wouldn't have been able to have been as precise with my caliper gauge.

Vented two driver holes, though because the aluminum's brightened up the sound a bit more, I might have to vent another hole or two. The bass was fine with the plastic, but it's slightly diminished now.

Did the blu-tack, which you can see through the new mesh.

I made a major screw-up in the first few steps of this mod: After venting the drivers, I slammed the plastic cups down too hard and split my cable pretty badly. Luckily, I was able to cut it at the tear and resolder the wire back. The left side is about an inch shorter than the right, though. But it's just as well, as I was planning on shortening the cable by a foot, get rid of the y-connector and change the sleeving to cloth. So at least that experience has made me a little less nervous about taking a soldering iron near my driver. Just a word of caution before putting your cups back together. That's the only other mod planned, except for ordering a J-Money headband.

At some point, I might draw up some distancers, but I'm happy with the sound as-is. The only drawback is that I'll probably never sell these because of the inborn sentimental value.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #1,798 of 8,992

SR60i's. Rockin' a Mogami 2893 cable, Switchcraft right-angle plug (gold plated), new driver grilles, L-cush pads, foam damping on the back of the driver magnet, and all 10 holes vented. Sounds incredible, especially out of my ancient discman 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #1,799 of 8,992
Oct 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,800 of 8,992
They're heavy enough where the pole gradually slides down the LR brackets, so I had to tape them at the height I normally keep them. I have a makeshift padded headband, so it actually doesn't feel heavy when it's on my head. Hopefully I'll have one coming in the next week or so, even if it's not from JMoney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back