post your grado mods....
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,576 of 8,988
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,577 of 8,988
I'm in the middle of tearing apart my Vin B RS1's on another thread.  For those that might not have stopped in, I thought I'd post a couple pics here of my new rodlocks that I did up last night.  Still need fine grit sanding and alittle more forming before I stain and polish, but I think they turned out decent.

@simwells-  Your cups below are glorious.  Very nice work.  Were these turned or CNC'ed?  I've got a lathe that I'm going to finally try out tonight to sand down the RS1 cups.  But I'm going to also try turning some cups when I get the nutz.

Quote:

Did a couple pairs of cups on Wednesday, one Zebrano one Cocobolo. Any recommendations of a Grado to put the Zebrano cups on that will give a noticably different sound to the modded SR80i's shown here.

Still planning on doing rod end pieces in the matching woods and I have enough wood to make the bottom housing out of Cocobolo so as to remove all plastic from the housing, or I could just use it to make another set of cups.

And @ edd9000-  You're an absolute pro.  Sick work man....just disgusting.  I don't suppose you'd be willing to share how you get that incredible shine? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by edd9000 

Here is my latest cup in progess. I had some tearout on my first walnut attempt, so have recycled what i could for this set.
Originally Posted by edd9000 

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,581 of 8,988
hi guys, sorry for butting in on what looks to be some awesome and really highly skilled work but i was wonder if anyone could point me to a thread that walks picture by picture of how to re - wire some grados?

i can,t find any. :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,582 of 8,988

Quote:
Mexican rosewood shells: 

SR series, Little Dot1+
I can hear the sibilance from here.

ON a side note I have been looking into the RS series and would like to know if people think that a dampened and modded 325i is in competition with them? I loved the Grado sound but HATE sibilance, the higher up they go the "brighter" people say they are and so far Bright=sibilance from everything I have read and tested on head-fi.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,583 of 8,988

Quote:

ON a side note I have been looking into the RS series and would like to know if people think that a dampened and modded 325i is in competition with them? I loved the Grado sound but HATE sibilance, the higher up they go the "brighter" people say they are and so far Bright=sibilance from everything I have read and tested on head-fi.

This is true for the non i models; for the i models the higher you go (up to and including RS1i) the tamer the treble is. The upper mid peaks are not as loud; this is clearly evident when testing electric guitars. SR325i is definitely brighter than a SR325is. There is a certain border on these i models, any models before the SR325i will sound bright. SR325is,RS2i,RS1i is not bright sounding compared to the other prestiges series with bowl pads.If you have a silver or gold SR325i, you may want to try the SR325is. For anyone who thinks the RS1i is bright, wait until you try a vintage RS1 with SN# in the 1000's; it makes the RS1i sound masked.

From people have said, SR325i sounds more tame with wood housings with a dampened magnet.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,584 of 8,988
interesting.......

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,588 of 8,988

Quote:
hi guys, sorry for butting in on what looks to be some awesome and really highly skilled work but i was wonder if anyone could point me to a thread that walks picture by picture of how to re - wire some grados?

i can,t find any. :frowning2:

http://www.monkeyfaq.com/grado_recable/index.html

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,589 of 8,988

Quote:
http://www.monkeyfaq.com/grado_recable/index.html

That's a good link to a pretty descriptive re-cable procedure.  However, from experience - the Canare cable, etc. as all very fine cable ... especially, when covered in techflex.  It's all very solid when the cable has been assembled correctly.  But, I want to also warn users considering an extensive cable upgrade to also take into consideration the additional weight that will be added.  I have a pair of Grados with with such a cable on mine.  At times, I feel like I'm pulling around a ball and chain.  I'm actually contemplating contacting Grado to see if I can't just order a replacement "Y" cable from them and use that instead.  I also have a few other ideas in mind - possibly using a 10' headphone extension cable from the Guitar Center and building my own "Y" cable from there - which should still turn out pretty decent.  I'm just not sure if the cable is shielded like the Grado SR325 cables are.  I think the SR325 and up are actually using shielded cable.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,590 of 8,988

Quote:
I'm actually contemplating contacting Grado to see if I can't just order a replacement "Y" cable from them and use that instead.

They'll replace the cable for you for $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back