post your grado mods....
May 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #1,141 of 8,992

Quote:
I've done a few Grado mods so I thought I'd add a post. The first was to a SR-125.

I bought the cups from someone on Head-Fi, used a JMoney headband and wooden tips, the big earpads, and the Dynamat mod. I found the wooden cups had a really positive impact on the sound; they however made the earphones uncomfortable, as the ear pieces would no longer sit square on my very large head. The large earpads were an attempt to address this. After a year of not using them much I sold them to a fellow in Canada. By the way the JMoney pads are also really nice. I was tempted to keep them but the cheap vinyl looked a bit silly with the nice cups, so I left the headband pad on.

Next I modded an SR-60. I put screens on, did the Dynamat mod, put mono mini jacks in so I can change cables, and put spacers on I bought here.

Instead of using adapters I figured I'd change cables. I don't know that I'd use jacks again; I've twice had to resolder them when they start to cut out. I'll also never put techflex on a cable again. It makes noise whenever the cable brushes against my desk that I can hear in the cans. I'll redo the cable with a shoelace when I get around to it.

Finally the only original mod-- original in that I thought of it myself, though doubtless someone else has done something similar, I've just never read about it-- I made another pair of SR-60s into collapsible traveling cans. Aside from rescreening, the Dynamat mod (Stick-Um mod, really, my Dynamat has gone walkabout), and recabling, I used the collapsible headband from an old pair of Sony cans that happened to match the Grado earpiece shape. I had to Dremel down the Sony pins a bit but it was pretty easy.

Nice 90 degree mini jack at the end pic.  Who makes that Jack?  Interesting stuff you did here!  I never use TechFlex either.  Besides noisiness, it is just too rough to me.  Braided MultiFilament Nylon for me.

May 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,142 of 8,992
Three brilliant mods barbarous

May 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #1,143 of 8,992
I've seen such an headband exchange before in this thread, and it's definetely one of the better modifications. I must say that I'm not exactly in love with the stock Gradessandro headband...

May 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #1,144 of 8,992

Quote:
Nice 90 degree mini jack at the end pic.  Who makes that jack?  Interesting stuff you did here!

Thanks! That's a Switchcraft jack. I bought that cable; would have made it but the Fraggler was selling what I wanted for what the cable would have cost to make. I did make the cables in the middle mod.

The wood cups in the first mod were made by pendles, the spacers in the middle mod are by rds, and Fraggler made the cable in the third mod. Cables I can make but spacers and cups are a bit beyond me! Or at least would require tools I do not have.

May 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,145 of 8,992
For anyone who has utilized the Sennheiser HD414 pads.  If you dye them black, how long should it last?  Mine were dyed black (twice) and they're starting to lighten already (maybe 10-15hrs of use on them since they were dyed).  Should I let them sit in the dye over night?  Suggestions?

May 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #1,146 of 8,992
You chose the wrong sort of colour, guess that stuff for cotton. There's also dyeing stuff that is suitable for polyamid (or so).

May 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #1,148 of 8,992
I used RIT for the pads on the collapsible mod. I took them out after what seemed like a long time, an hour or so, rinsed them, and they were not yet perfectly black. So I threw them back in, weighed them down, and left them in a very long time-- maybe not overnight, but hours and hours-- and they have been fine since then. I think leaving them overnight certainly won't hurt them.

And I love the feel of the pads! Much nicer.

May 29, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #1,155 of 8,992
I bought these woodied 225, however I did the mod for the earpads and some minor stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back