post your grado mods....
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #8,911 of 8,987
Best $8 tweak ever; buying a hot glue gun, and then gluing the drivers into the headphones.

For my Turbulent X build, I previously used a layer of electrical tape to press fit the drivers into the aluminum driver housing. But I recently added a layer of hot glue around the edge to hold the driver in more firmly. The glue is semi permanent, but pretty easily scraped off if I ever need to remove the drivers.

Doing this brought a noticeable increase in technicalities; greater resolution, and better imaging and layering. Timber and tone didn't change.

It still can't compete with the soundstaging and separation of my Grado GS3000e, but is now much closer. Imaging might actually be better, since it brings a closer perspective than the GS3000e's more distant perspective. It also has a touch more midrange warmth - which is a nice change of pace. Not too shabby at about a 1/10 price ratio.

I think I even like it better than my Grado PS500e though. Better timber and tone, with more stark imaging. Pretty impressive, considering the PS500e is highly regarded, and the Turbulent X build is less than 1/3 the cost of the Grado.

Glue those drivers down!

Attachments

• 20230305_075955.JPG
    20230305_075955.JPG
    899.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230305_081410.JPG
    20230305_081410.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #8,912 of 8,987
Hey folks - happy Sunday to everyone. Putting together a custom "grado" using aftermarket drivers and trying to decided whether to go with the V9 or the Epsilon R1. Great reviews for both but looking for something that will compliment the PS500e which are my current favorite/go to cans on this system. Drivers will be housed in a lower profile Wabi Sabi wood cups akin to the GH series. I'm probably looking for the drivers that will be most like GHs or Hemps (?) to get a nice contrast/compliment to the PS500e. Source is exclusive analog. Thanks for any input

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #8,914 of 8,987
Hey folks - happy Sunday to everyone. Putting together a custom "grado" using aftermarket drivers and trying to decided whether to go with the V9 or the Epsilon R1. Great reviews for both but looking for something that will compliment the PS500e which are my current favorite/go to cans on this system. Drivers will be housed in a lower profile Wabi Sabi wood cups akin to the GH series. I'm probably looking for the drivers that will be most like GHs or Hemps (?) to get a nice contrast/compliment to the PS500e. Source is exclusive analog. Thanks for any input
I would morely think about the G1 in this case, guess Chris would confirm. :wink:

Jul 24, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #8,915 of 8,987
^ thanks for that. Fair point, I can ask him - I hadn't seen much chatter on the interwebs about the G1 over the R1 but may be a better match for what i'm looking for.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #8,916 of 8,987
^ thanks for that. Fair point, I can ask him - I hadn't seen much chatter on the interwebs about the G1 over the R1 but may be a better match for what i'm looking for.
You're welcome.
It's all about personal preference and the following is only my modest experience.

I liked all three for different genre. P1 with Deluxe/ F-Cushions, G1 with L-/ G-Cushions and R1 with L-Cushions. But it's been a while i've listened to them.

Sold my Grado stuff and diy's except one pair.
I now only occasionally build Grado DIY's including cables aso for friends like you can see some of latest below.

The V9 was not my cup of tea. V8/ Nhoord Red and Turbulent Driver where good allrounders, for me with L-Cushions and Shipibo ones. But unfortunatly only the V9 is available out of these nowadays.

earphonediylabs got drivers too, but i am not much experienced with the offered portfolio.

You'll surely sort it out, which one is the "right" for your build.

All actual Grado DIY suppliers are very reliable and helpful. Also here in the relevant threads you'll find enough experience and support. Some have been doing this for many years.

Enjoy music and happy building. 🙃✌🏻

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #8,917 of 8,987
Nice builds - who did the headband for the ones third from the left?

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #8,918 of 8,987
Got a reply from Chris at Eleven Seven and he said the G1 are most similar to the Ps500e and recommended the R1 as the most similar to the GH series.

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #8,919 of 8,987
Got a reply from Chris at Eleven Seven and he said the G1 are most similar to the Ps500e and recommended the R1 as the most similar to the GH series.
I personally don't see any parallels between the R1 and the GH2, e.g. But -as i wrote- it's also been a while since I've heard them and Chris is the expert. 🙃✌🏻

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #8,920 of 8,987
Hi All,

I'm new here. I have gone down the rabbit hole of grado modding/building new headphones. I wanted to ask a question about the Nhoord Audio Red V2 drivers. I have read people discuss their strong bass output, however, I'm experiencing the opposite. Almost a complete lack of bass. I don't have them in a grado style cup though, I designed and 3d printed/machined out of wood more of a sennheiser HD-600 style cup to put them in, I'm wondering if that really could have killed all of the bass. What are your experiences with the Nhoord Red v2 driver? Thanks.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #8,921 of 8,987
Hi All,

I'm new here. I have gone down the rabbit hole of grado modding/building new headphones. I wanted to ask a question about the Nhoord Audio Red V2 drivers. I have read people discuss their strong bass output, however, I'm experiencing the opposite. Almost a complete lack of bass. I don't have them in a grado style cup though, I designed and 3d printed/machined out of wood more of a sennheiser HD-600 style cup to put them in, I'm wondering if that really could have killed all of the bass. What are your experiences with the Nhoord Red v2 driver? Thanks.
Hey,

V8/ V8.1/ Turbulent Labs and Nhoord Red V2 are the third party drivers with the "most" bass (warmer side) i've experienced in comparison to the known/ named ones here. I used them Press fit in Mahagony, Walnut and Rosewood cups, L-/ Shipibo Cushions.

As for Grado's, Hemp and GH2's where on the bassier side from the models i was able to listen to.

I am unexperienced with the cups you've mentioned. But i guess your cups are with wood mixtures filament or pure wood maschine drilled? Which pads do you use? Do you have some pictures?

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #8,922 of 8,987
Hey,

V8/ V8.1/ Turbulent Labs and Nhoord Red V2 are the third party drivers with the "most" bass (warmer side) i've experienced in comparison to the known/ named ones here. I used them in Mahagony, Walnut and Rosewood cups.

I am unexperienced with the Cups you've mentioned. But i guess your cups are with wood mixtures filament or pure wood maschine drilled? Which pads do you use?

Cheers
Thanks for the response. I made the cups myself. I would post pictures, but can't seem to find a way to do it without using a weblink.

The cups are a two piece design. The part that holds the driver is plastic and the outer ring/cover is wood with a steel mesh, which is bolted to the plastic part. I'm just using some generic Sennheiser HD 600/650 pads.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #8,923 of 8,987
Thanks for the response. I made the cups myself. I would post pictures, but can't seem to find a way to do it without using a weblink.

The cups are a two piece design. The part that holds the driver is plastic and the outer ring/cover is wood with a steel mesh, which is bolted to the plastic part. I'm just using some generic Sennheiser HD 600/650 pads.
There is an "Attach Files" Button in bottom left.
I guess there are several reasons for the lack of bass. Personally without a chance to see any parts of your described build, i would try to create a semi-open back design with some filter material and maybe check the seal, where the pads are mounted. I'd also try some (p)leatherpads, cause as for my general knowledge velour/ similar materials reduces the bass.

but respect that you dare to do it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #8,924 of 8,987
There is an "Attach Files" Button in bottom left.
I guess there are several reasons for the lack of bass. Personally without a chance to see any parts of your described build, i would try to create a semi-open back design with some filter material and maybe check the seal, where the pads are mounted. I'd also try some (p)leatherpads, cause as for my general knowledge velour/ similar materials reduces the bass.

but respect that you dare to do it.

Cheers
Ah, I missed that. Here is my design. I wanted a very open headphone.

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_122833.jpg
    IMG_20230724_122833.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230724_115838.jpg
    IMG_20230724_115838.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230724_115850.jpg
    IMG_20230724_115850.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #8,925 of 8,987
Ah, I missed that. Here is my design. I wanted a very open headphone.
Looks interesting. I am no headphone manufacturer. I like music, DIY, to share experiences, love wood and i only put parts together, solder some cables and tweak minor things here and there.

My biggest project was the Alpha Dog and i got headache to tune it over weeks.

Don't get me wrong, your build looks great. But i imagine they actually sound the same as if the driver is lying flat on the table without any housing.

I would try to use filter material on the back and fine mesh around the driver i mentioned above to get a semi Open design. As for the pads. Cause of the distance i'd try (p)leather.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back