post your grado mods....
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #8,236 of 8,987
I asked the seller so we shall see what the diameter of the driver is in this thing.

Edit: Found a cheaper variant of the same product from a different seller
Look what I found on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814142138/32814142138.html

...€37 what a steal, still need to here back on the driver size, I may pick it up if it’s an ideal fit and grab myself some custom drivers :)

I'm so tempted to grab a pair of these, whats there to lose

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #8,238 of 8,987
I decided to do so, once I get it I’ll see what’s it like under the pads and post some pics and the size of the opening.

nice one // think the shipping was fairly long

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #8,240 of 8,987
Greetings from Spain!! A long time...

My last custom:
-- With Beautiful Audio ear-pad the comfort is amazing (Merino in black) and sound is really great but some models change the signature, It is not a problem because we can play with them. My RS-2e is better but GH-2 not. I use it with my own and new "custom" headphone: Epsilon G1, Rholupat Angsana cups and "Grado refurbish cable" with new PET sleeve:

Epsilon_G1_Rholupat02.jpg

Silvian: Public thank´s for your work, really good!!! Very comfortably "Grado´s ear pads" you made.

Have a nice day!! or night...
C.K.

May 8, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #8,243 of 8,987
to have a detachable cable, i must enlarge the original opening hole, there's no way around it right?
Depends on the type of Jack's you use. SMC, MMCX, 2.5mm and some others will fit in existing holes while mini-xlr 3.5mm and most others will require enlarging the holes

May 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #8,245 of 8,987
Hey guys, just wanna ask if buying gcush pads on sr60e will do good? ive bought the lcush pads and im liking it, but still curious how will the gcush change the sound.
I'm a fan of the cheap ebay G-pads but just remember that they are not very consistent in build quality so you might have to buy 3-4 pairs from different vendors to see what you like.

As for the SR60e with G-pads its hard to say since not all like the sound of SR series with G-pads (more so OEM G-pads) since they tend to reduce the bass but its never been an issue for me with generic G-pads. My use of G-pads was motivated by comfort issue with the stock L-pads

May 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #8,246 of 8,987
I'm a fan of the cheap ebay G-pads but just remember that they are not very consistent in build quality so you might have to buy 3-4 pairs from different vendors to see what you like.

As for the SR60e with G-pads its hard to say since not all like the sound of SR series with G-pads (more so OEM G-pads) since they tend to reduce the bass but its never been an issue for me with generic G-pads. My use of G-pads was motivated by comfort issue with the stock L-pads

btw, will the gcush also affect the treble? Ive read a few threads here it made the sr60s to treble cans after installing gcush

May 13, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #8,247 of 8,987
btw, will the gcush also affect the treble? Ive read a few threads here it made the sr60s to treble cans after installing gcush
The treble can be affected but it depends on the construction of the G-pads:
If you get the OEM G-pads it might make the SR60 a bit brighter or stay the same since the drivers remain about the same distance from your ears
With generic G-pads if they move the driver closer to your ears the treble might be raised a bit but if they move the driver further from your ears the treble will most likely be reduced. This is why I suggest getting a few pairs of G-pads from different vendors since the shape, density of the foam and fit are all slightly different and its hard or impossible to tell from pictures. If you didn't already know the OEM L and G pads are constructed of different layers of foam with different densities while almost all generic pads are made of a single type of foam but they are also quite a bit cheaper and usually softer on the ears.

May 16, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #8,249 of 8,987
I've played around with modelling some rodblock replacements for 3D printing. All have a hole on the head side to accomodate an M3 screw to engage the headband. The models with the rounded sides also have a hole to accomodate a 3mm thumb screw to provide friction against the rodblock (with a nod to the original Grado HP 1000). Models have raised or recessed lettering. The recessed lettering comes out much better. Models available at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2552966

These are some quick and rough prints I did on my home machine to get a feel for the shapes.

10114550_thumb.jpg

And this is the design I settled on and had printed in bronze and stainless at Shapeways.

10114551_thumb.jpg

This is after I've threaded the front and rear holes for an M3 hex socket (rear to engage the headband) and M3 thumbscrew for the front. The models are about 10% upscale to account for shrinkage and I expected to have to clean the cavities, but even so, it came damn close to not fitting and I had to grind down a jewellers file to clean the headband socket as well was lightly filing the end of the headband before I could get a fit. Rod hole and screw holes were cleaned with a drill and then tapped. Slowly.

10114552_thumb.jpg
10114553_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Rodblocks.JPG
    Rodblocks.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Rodblock C in stainless.JPG
    Rodblock C in stainless.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Rodblock assembled.JPG
    Rodblock assembled.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Rodblock assembled 2.JPG
    Rodblock assembled 2.JPG
    678 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #8,250 of 8,987
I've also modelled the Grado yoke, both with and without the 'pegs' that engage the cup. Models at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2604975. I didn't like the dimensions of the other Grado yoke models that I found, so I took some measurements and made some that I was happier with. The 'peg' and 'no peg' models are based on the plastic yokes of the Prestige series Grados I have. I've not printed them and can't attest to their strength. I went with another design.

There's a third model that's based on/inspired by the work of Martin Custom Audio that was the design that I had printed at Shapeways. Sockets for the end of the rod are _not_ at an angle. A complete oversight on my part. I thought it might not matter, but ended up bending the stainless rod I used to match the angle of the Grado yokes. I've put off posting until I redo the models with a 'proper' socket, but a new job, moving house etc. has eaten time and I'm not sure when I'll get back to this - so here's where I've got to, if that's of use to anyone.

10114560_thumb.jpg

it turns out that the number of sections I used for the curve was more obvious in the final print than I'd anticipated. You can see that the curve of the yoke is made up of straight sections at an angle. I found the effect oddly pleasing - a reminder of the process that produced these, but realise that might not be to everyone's taste and intend/ed to redo these with a larger number of 'facets' to reduce the effect when printed. Not done. One day.

10114561_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Gimbal.JPG
    Gimbal.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • rodblocks and gimbals.JPG
    rodblocks and gimbals.JPG
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back