post your grado mods....
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #8,026 of 8,987
If you want a more fuller,balanced and not so fatigued sound you should NOT open holes and try the flats!

Care to elaborate?

I've found the opening on vent holes to dramatically improve the bass, as well as bringing down the highs (maybe just comparatively in relation to bass volume).

What are these flats you speak of? I'm already using the S cushions as my preferred set up..

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #8,027 of 8,987
If you want a more fuller,balanced and not so fatigued sound you should NOT open holes and try the flats!
I tried the 2 pairs of S-pads that I have and while it did reduce the sharpness a little it also messed up the rest of the sound. It killed the bass making the Nhoord Red V2 bass lite, very mid centric, reduced the sound stage to a more L/R presentation and for me is just uncomfortable after a few minutes.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #8,028 of 8,987
My V8 build, just burning the drivers in now. So much better than the SR60e drivers I was using.

Better extension and air, but maybe a bit of a mid-bass hump that punches quite hard. I'm using generic fake L cush pads.

IMG_20171011_185145.jpg IMG_20171011_185230.jpg IMG_20171011_185320.jpg IMG_20171011_185348.jpg

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #8,030 of 8,987
Care to elaborate?

I've found the opening on vent holes to dramatically improve the bass, as well as bringing down the highs (maybe just comparatively in relation to bass volume).

What are these flats you speak of? I'm already using the S cushions as my preferred set up..
Yes indeed ,vented drivers have impoved bass but there is no need to do with Flat pads

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #8,032 of 8,987
@ostewart, nice work and I'm glad that someone else uses the SMC jacks. Is that Canare star quad cable?

Van Damme, easier to source here in the UK. It's similar but uses a mix of OFC and SPC :) cheap and great sounding cable (miniature starquad)

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #8,033 of 8,987
I was on this forum about a month ago asking for grado cup dimensions to build my own headphones, well here it is 90% complete disassembled. I know it's not a grado driver but it's a grado inspired design for an open back (or semi open back, still haven't decided yet) KSC75 over ear headphones.

It's my first DIY Headphones. Hope you like it :)

IMG_0740.JPG

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #8,034 of 8,987
My V8 build, just burning the drivers in now. So much better than the SR60e drivers I was using.

Better extension and air, but maybe a bit of a mid-bass hump that punches quite hard. I'm using generic fake L cush pads.

These Generic L pads they increase much more the lower end that (in a way) stress my ears than the original L pads of Grado!
(btw are you will to sell your sr60e drivers)

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #8,035 of 8,987
These Generic L pads they increase much more the lower end that (in a way) stress my ears than the original L pads of Grado!
(btw are you will to sell your sr60e drivers)

Drivers are in the FS section :wink:

I will try with some generic G pads tomorrow :)

I really need some original L pads, maybe with the money from the drivers I'll get some.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #8,037 of 8,987
@seanc6441 , interesting project you have there, hope you show some pictures of the completed headphone. What drivers are those?
Yes I will update you guys when it's assembled and finished. It's just koss ksc75 drivers with a modded front grille.

I bought these drivers after viewing the 'StratoKosster' mod page on headfi and bring intrigued by how they supposedly were impressively balanced and very decent sounding for such a cheap on ear 'earclip' headphone. So initially I was opting for closed back but as I progressed I realised they sounded better with my cups as open back/semi open back, so I rolled with that.

I have not got any fancy tools or a lathe so I used more basic shapes and a two piece design which was easier to drill out.

Cups are sappele wood, pads are velour 90mm and I added extra foam sowed in for more thickness (like some more expensive pads), I recabled them with VE Monk earbud cable, it's much nicer rubberised and less memory than the stock Koss cable and the budget earbud can be salvaged for another cable.

The headband and wire cup holders were repurposed froma cheap computer headset metal band which I added PU leather and padded foam onto.

Parts cost maybe just under €75 with leftover wood to make many more cups xD. I have not much to compare the sound to as I'm not a headphone user (earbuds mostly) but I did have a sennheiser HD485, a rose masya hifi earbud (just about TOTL earbud).

Once it's finished I'll do my best to describe what I hear. I did like my test (housing pads, driver, cups to my hear with my hands) run though, the sound was surprisingly well rounded , full and energetic.

I'll have more feedback in the next few days.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #8,038 of 8,987
Yeah they sound incredible with cheap G cush pads, deep yet precise bass, crystal clear mids and highs.

IMG_20171012_134242-01.jpeg

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #8,040 of 8,987
Nice Job on your DIY headphones @ostewart !!!!

I am a DIY guy myself. However, I have not had the chance to perform a DIY headphone myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back