post your grado mods....
Mar 24, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #7,636 of 8,988
  To "Y" or not to "Y" that is the question...

So I just finished a pair of headphones, Popular Cups, and Magnum V7 drivers.
So I decided to go with a single detachable cable using three strands of 30 AWG silver coated copper wire in paracord. Mini jack on headphone cup end, and mini jack with 1/4" threaded adpater on the other. I threaded the cable from the right cup to the left through the headband using the same wire and paracord as I used with the cable.
The look is very acceptable, (I would post pictures, but I am not allowed since I sell stuff) anyhow I was wondering what the community take on this method of cable versus the Y cable configuration with a split at say 16 to 18 inches from the cups.

Any response would be welcome, and pictures if so inclined.

Thanks

-retox 

I've always liked the "Y" since it balances the headphone on the head.  Only issue with the "Y" is finding a good/nice looking splitter.

Have been using one from Double-Helix but they had a smaller one for a great price a few years ago.  Also, I like having removable cables so its easier to work with wires to both cups.

Some pictures:

i dig the color

i like the "Y" style
the braid style doesnt need anything to hold it together
but its a good excuse for a skull or a bit or bauble

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #7,637 of 8,988
  I really like the SMA/SMB connectors, where did you get those, both the male and female?
Very nice looking headphones...thanks for the picts.

The SMC connectors are from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251386470578?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-Female-Jack-Straight-Crimp-For-RG174-RG179-RG316-RG188-Cable-Connector-/251262372930?hash=item3a80678c42:g:sRYAAOxy69JTA5JZ

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #7,639 of 8,988
  SR60E with Koss porta pro drivers and all "blacked" out. Sounds pretty good!

I got to say that the look of these inspired me.  I have a pair of early 325 cups with one bad driver so I thought I may as well experiment with the cups.
I used my metal lathe and turned the cup down to what you see.
I have a new pair of SR 60e headphones that I might use the drivers and cables.
So my next build is on.

Many thanks for the inspiration...

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7,640 of 8,988
Some Grado/not-Grado modding this weekend:

The drivers were actually pulled from a pair of Nakamichi SP7, and modded slightly to work properly in an open cup (stock they don't sound right at all, which makes sense since they come from a semi-open headphone). Thy now look like a pair of Blackstar drivers (the kind old Joseph used in the HP-1), but I have no way of knowing if they sound the same. I will say I like how these sound.

I call the cups "the Howie", named for a modding friend whose style I feel the combined Ebony, Paduak and Rosewood are reminiscent of :).

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #7,642 of 8,988
I completed my latest project on Sunday.
They are SR-60e drivers and stock cable inserted into a pair of turned down 325 cups.
Added a leather headband and presto...SR-325-60e.
They sound pretty good at first listen.
I haven't had time to really sit down and give them a good listen.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #7,643 of 8,988
Hey...are any of you modders interested in a stock SR80 cup, driver, cable?  Essentially an SR80 without the headband?

I bought the SR80 years ago and recently picked up a set of Cherry wood cups to transplant the drivers.  Now I'm thinking I may just pick up a Symphone driver and recable them.  So because of that, will still need the headband but not anything else.  They are stock and haven't been modded, liberated, etc.

Shoot me a pm if interested.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #7,644 of 8,988
  The Howie's look great.  Did you glue each piece of wood together prior to turning on the lathe?

Yes...I trim some cylinders, make sure the ends are ruler flat, glue and then clamp. After they've set, I pull them out of the clamps, mount them on the lathe and start working them.

I completed my latest project on Sunday.
They are SR-60e drivers and stock cable inserted into a pair of turned down 325 cups.
Added a leather headband and presto...SR-325-60e.
They sound pretty good at first listen.
I haven't had time to really sit down and give them a good listen.

Nice...I like taking the black plastic out of the face on those SR325/1/e cups and replacing it with wood. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #7,648 of 8,988
  while still getting up the guts to recable my RS2
got this idea off the cable thread

using 4 pin mini xlr's and some leftover cable parts
made these pigtails for 3.5mm, 6.5mm and pono balanced

Great stuff!

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7,650 of 8,988
Sounds like you are talking about plastic gimbal that holds the driver to the headband? Could probably buy cheap or receive a free spare here from someone on headfi who replaced theirs with an aftermarket one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back