post your grado mods....
Aug 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #7,351 of 8,988
  My brother needs a headphone cable for a recable on some Fostex TH-X00's.  Does anyone have a grado cable they'd be willing to sell?

I have my original from my TH-600 that is not being used, willing to sell, send a PM, Also have a few 4 and 8 wire Grado cables available.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #7,355 of 8,988
I just complete my first set of wooden cups...the posters on this forum have been a great inspiration.  They have some flaws but I am new to turning.  I have been making cables and gimbals for a while but turning cups was a whole new experience.  Check out the mods to my SR60e headphones. Now all I need is a leather headband. Never satisfied...

-retox

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #7,356 of 8,988
@retox
some nice work for a first attemp.  Did you check out the SR-60i mod thread?  I had one and opened up two vent holes to give it a touch more bass, in the cups I used dynamat and on the back of the driver added some sorbothane, really transforms them.  This was the last config that I had them in:

you can see the sorbothane on the back of the driver in the above picture, made sure not to cover the vents on the back of the driver.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #7,357 of 8,988
Your phones look great...what wood did you use for the cups?  I used cherry and an ebony stain.

I might try the sorbothane on the drivers...and cut a hole for bass.  I will do it in steps so I can get a feel for the audible difference in the mods.
What cable connectors did you use?

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #7,359 of 8,988
Quote:
  Your phones look great...what wood did you use for the cups?  I used cherry and an ebony stain.

I might try the sorbothane on the drivers...and cut a hole for bass.  I will do it in steps so I can get a feel for the audible difference in the mods.
What cable connectors did you use?

The wood of the cups in the above picture is walnut, also have 2 rosewood and 2 mahogany.  I had one cocobolo but sold it as a SennGrado build which my friend really loves.

When doing the sorbothane mod make sure you cut them in to quarters after you glue it on, seems that it works better at vibration reduction that way.  As for cutting venting holes it depends on which driver you have, some have venting from the factory so any additional usually does not work out too well, the most I've ever done is 3 holes, more and the bass gets boomy to me.

@dbaker1981, looks like the start of a nice setup, this is what I was listening to earlier this evening when a few friends were over drinking some wine:

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #7,360 of 8,988
The wood of the cups in the above picture is walnut, also have 2 rosewood and 2 mahogany.  I had one cocobolo but sold it as a SennGrado build which my friend really loves.

When doing the sorbothane mod make sure you cut them in to quarters after you glue it on, seems that it works better at vibration reduction that way.  As for cutting venting holes it depends on which driver you have, some have venting from the factory so any additional usually does not work out too well, the most I've ever done is 3 holes, more and the bass gets boomy to me.

@dbaker1981
, looks like the start of a nice setup, this is what I was listening to earlier this evening when a few friends were over drinking some wine:

I have a couple other hp's but Im trying to find stands that fit right and stay up that isn't ungodly priced.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #7,361 of 8,988
What are your thoughts or anybody else  who want to chime in on using wooded cups without liberating the drivers from a pair of 325is?  I hate to liberate my 325is, I may want to go back to the aluminum cups.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #7,362 of 8,988
What are your thoughts or anybody else  who want to chime in on using wooded cups without liberating the drivers from a pair of 325is?  I hate to liberate my 325is, I may want to go back to the aluminum cups.

The aluminium makes the driver more "polite" for want of a better term in my experience. Switching to wood outer cups will lessen that. I have had really great experiences using wooden sleeves with SR325 outer cups.
The drivers used pick up the tone of the wood, but it's well controlled, and again, polite.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #7,363 of 8,988

Quote:
I have a couple other hp's but Im trying to find stands that fit right and stay up that isn't ungodly priced.

Decent headphone stands are hard to find, I've been in the process of building my own but haven't done much over the last month since I've been watching the Olympics, had a few friends visiting from LA, Hilo and SF and my son was home before going back to college.

I decided to use the legs from a tripod so that I could adjust the height depending on where I need the stand, cut a 8" PCV pipe into quarters so the top would have a curved surface and a base made either out of tile or granite for the weight.

This is one that is decent: https://www.amazon.com/LUXA2-HO-HDP-ALE1SI-00-Headphone-Sennheiser-Plantronics/dp/B00MCVOILM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1472432593&sr=8-11&keywords=headphone+stand​, I've modded the top to look like this:

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #7,364 of 8,988
I just complete my first set of wooden cups...the posters on this forum have been a great inspiration.

-retox

Wow. That is one elegant pair of Grados. Fantastic! How do they sound?

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #7,365 of 8,988

I just complete my first set of wooden cups...the posters on this forum have been a great inspiration.  They have some flaws but I am new to turning.  I have been making cables and gimbals for a while but turning cups was a whole new experience.  Check out the mods to my SR60e headphones. Now all I need is a leather headband. Never satisfied...

-retox

nice work. I like the fact that the back of the cups are very open. I wouldn't mind a pair of these in maple... 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back