post your grado mods....
Aug 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #7,337 of 8,987
i haven't listened to any of them yet
i'm going to start putting them together
this weekend, i've accumulated a bunch of spare parts
enough for 3-4 sets of cans, stay tuned i will be posting morese

now about those nakamichi sp-7 drivers
are they similar to the blackstar driver?

The story goes that old Joseph Grado used Nakamichi drivers as well. Not sure that they sound the same (sadly have not had a chance to hear any of the old HPx series). Stock, in their standard headband, they remind me of the Grado pinks a lot, and have a great midrange. Cupping them in wood is going to be interesting.

"now about those nakamichi sp-7 drivers
are they similar to the blackstar driver?"

Send me a pair and I'll let you know! :wink:

I can't wait for your impressions on these three different drivers @Arty McGhee!

Btw, I just bought @alphaphoenix v7 drivers. I'm excited to get them and try em out! :thumbsup:

I got his headband and aluminium gimbals :). Going to use them for a nice Ypsilon build using some custom non-i SR series style aluminium cups and Maple sleeves.
That's gonna look killer!

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #7,338 of 8,987

The V6 sounded like what I was looking for based on subjective opinions I've read, but the frequency response graph I've seen of the 2 seems to indicate that the Ypsilon may have better bass extension. Also, it seems like the V6 are out of production now so unless someone decides to let theirs go, I guess the main question is about the Magnum V7, Nhoord and Ypsilon.

I have both Ypsilon and V6 builds, and I've seen the frequency responses ... but really, these two drivers couldn't sound any more different. 
The Ypsilon sounds closer to the 'Grado' sound I guess, but a bit more balanced (than the SRs I have heard): not as bright, soundstage not quite so in-your-face and the bass quality is better. They work best with L-cushion pads. I sold my PS500e because they sounded so similar there was no point keeping both pairs, and my Ypsilon build is much better looking ...

V6 on the other hand is very bottom-heavy. Depending on what you listen to you might not be able to pick out the same details you can hear on other headphones, but you certainly won't want any more low-end. The V6 also works very well with G-cushions. I owned a pair of PS500 and sold them because, again, they sounded so similar to the V6 there was no point keeping both pairs (and my V6 build is prettier
dt880smile.png
 )

I definitely saw someone selling a modded SR325 with V6 drivers in the classifieds recently ... 
[EDIT: those cans have gone, but try PMing @reflectingpool to see if there's still a spare pair of V6 drivers floating around]

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #7,341 of 8,987

Couldn't help but notice the Nhoors got a 'wow' and the V7 didn't get anything ... 

i haven't listened to them much but the nhoords are new experience
the v7 is a decent upgrade from the v6, less v-shaped and less muddiness in the bass, a bit more in the highs

Arty, I love your style mate
smily_headphones1.gif
. I noticed that headband could be Zebra-print...

thats leopard actually

putting together the ypsilons tonite
they stick out a bit from the wood cups i have
going the the aluminum

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #7,343 of 8,987
The story goes that old Joseph Grado used Nakamichi drivers as well. Not sure that they sound the same (sadly have not had a chance to hear any of the old HPx series). Stock, in their standard headband, they remind me of the Grado pinks a lot, and have a great midrange. Cupping them in wood is going to be interesting.
I got his headband and aluminium gimbals :). Going to use them for a nice Ypsilon build using some custom non-i SR series style aluminium cups and Maple sleeves.

Hey fleas where you pick up the metal gimbles?

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #7,344 of 8,987
Hey fleas where you pick up the metal gimbles?

alpha took apart and sold that V7 build I made the cups for...he offered me the headband and gimbals for a good price. He sourced them from Rhydon at Symphones I think. I dont believe he (Rhydon) has any more...

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #7,345 of 8,987
i haven't listened to them much but the nhoords are new experience
the v7 is a decent upgrade from the v6, less v-shaped and less muddiness in the bass, a bit more in the highs

thats leopard actually

putting together the ypsilons tonite
they stick out a bit from the wood cups i have
going the the aluminum

Would love to hear your impressions of the two between the ypsilon's and nhoord drivers. Ypsilon's I've read do take time to burn in, not sure if you believe in it or not but just fyi.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #7,346 of 8,987
right out of the box the ypsilons are sounding pretty good
i want to give these a few weeks of listening before i make any major judgements
i may have to write a more formal review
i have the ypsilons in metal, and the others in wood

that may cloud things somewhat, i may have a set made to fit
the ypsilon they stick out a few mm in the wood cups i have
i would like keep things more or less even if i do a major review

these are all really good sounding drivers, it may come down to personal preference
its going to be at least a few weeks before i pass any major judgement
but i'll definitely do a write up on all of them

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #7,347 of 8,987
right out of the box the ypsilons are sounding pretty good
i want to give these a few weeks of listening before i make any major judgements
i may have to write a more formal review
i have the ypsilons in metal, and the others in wood

that may cloud things somewhat, i may have a set made to fit
the ypsilon they stick out a few mm in the wood cups i have
i would like keep things more or less even if i do a major review

these are all really good sounding drivers, it may come down to personal preference
its going to be at least a few weeks before i pass any major judgement
but i'll definitely do a write up on all of them

Definitely give the Ypsilon time to settle in...the bass goes from boxy on some tracks to deep when called for...

We are spoiled for choice these days. Even Tyll has started talking about "character" on InnerFidelity now when he talks about that expensive gear he reviews. I have been thinking along the same lines for a little while now too...

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #7,348 of 8,987
My brother needs a headphone cable for a recable on some Fostex TH-X00's.  Does anyone have a grado cable they'd be willing to sell?

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #7,350 of 8,987

Lawton sells original Fostex TH-X cables

He has the original cable now.  Perhaps he may want to get an original and then cut it down.  The main issue is the length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back