post your grado mods....
May 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7,126 of 8,988
Thanks to Bruce for many mod builds over the past year.  I really do appreciate it and I eventually need to get my own feet wet with modding.  I was looking to make some unique headphone additions to the cave.  I haven't had a chance to listen a lot since receiving them and I know not to judge Grados too quickly.  Overall, I am a fan of the 225e and though not a Grado, the Ypsilon driver in the aluminum cups and 225e frame kicks some neutral arse.

May 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #7,127 of 8,988
  Thanks to Bruce for many mod builds over the past year.  I really do appreciate it and I eventually need to get my own feet wet with modding.  I was looking to make some unique headphone additions to the cave.  I haven't had a chance to listen a lot since receiving them and I know not to judge Grados too quickly.  Overall, I am a fan of the 225e and though not a Grado, the Ypsilon driver in the aluminum cups and 225e frame kicks some neutral arse.

Glad you're liking them John! :) I was particularly pleased with how the 225e turned out. 

May 20, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #7,128 of 8,988

That's quite the collection you've got there. How's the Mojo with the modded Grados? How do the modded pair compare to a TOTL as the HD800s?

May 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #7,129 of 8,988
It might be a little time before I have good concrete opinions of Bruce's modded Grados.  Just got them Monday and my listening has been sparse.  These are new drivers and may need burn-in.  Initial impressions....you can't go wrong with a woody 225 :)  The tone is fantastic for my tastes and in keeping in tradition with other 225s you get a grain-free, warm, forward presentation.  Not aggressive.  Just good old fun Grado sound.  I might even say the tone of the woody 225 is no better or worse than the HD800S.  For me, tone matters first and then resolution, imaging, etc.  I won't be the one to talk about tonal accuracy as there others out there with more technical ears and more live performance attendances under their belts.  The HD800 pulls out ahead in regards to imaging, soundstage width/depth, and to my ears there is more weight starting from the low end to the midrange.  There is a lot of double bass in the music I listen to and with the HD800 the plucking of the strings is just more prominent.  With that said, this Summer I am more likely to bring the 225 out on the porch or backyard when it comes time to relax.  Price to performance is definitely in favor of the 225.  I would say a woody 225 looks cooler too :)

The Ypsilon driver is a bit more on tonally on the cold side.  I like it but I might still pull out the 225 for jazz.  Lets see how the sound or my audio brain matures over time.  I mainly listen to small jazz trios so a bit of warmth is more to my liking when piano is involved.  The Ypsilon driver has nice bite or edge to it, less rounded or smooth notes that will work well for a lot of genres.  Sometimes you just want a driver that is less polite.  In any case, I really need to get to know this headphone more.        

Though not TOTL, the GH-1 might be the one headphone I could have and not worry about losing the HD800S in a bet.  The GH-1 has good weight, tone is to my liking and very good soundstage with the G cups.

A wise man would have a woody 225 and not look back.
A smart man would have a GH-1 and not look back.
A man destined to overspend in this hobby has a 225, GH-1 and HD800.    

But seriously, after your post I played one song multiple times with each headphone with the main goal to just pick a clear winner and identify some easy traits of each one.  Was a harder task than I thought it was going to be even though I already had some idea of how each one would sound.  If I could only remember this in the future as I drool over some PS-1000s or RS-1s.  Luckily, I don't think I have the budget to own any more full-size headphones so my job is to get to know these very well.     

Quote:
  That's quite the collection you've got there. How's the Mojo with the modded Grados? How do the modded pair compare to a TOTL as the HD800s?

May 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #7,132 of 8,988
Ziricote wood cups, courtesy of UglyJoe0124 w/SR60i drivers

May 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #7,133 of 8,988
So I am making some rosewood blocks for my Woodied SR225, and was looking for some suggestions on how to mark them for R and L. First idea was a larger bit with a single hole like a die for one and two holes for the other. Any suggestions are appreciated, here is one of the test subjects, I have not shaped or stained the block quite yet.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #7,134 of 8,988
Got my SR125i drivers and 8 conductor cable installed into the maple GS1000 cups I bought from @Fleasbaby. If the GS2000 sounds better, then it must be hella good. These have me thinking of selling my GH1 set.

Really loving the maple sound.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #7,138 of 8,988
  I want to build a woodie Grado. Should I get a pair of Alessandro MS1 and modify from there or get a pair of drivers and build from scratch? 

That was my first mod! Going the MS1 route is a great way to get into modding without too much extra work. What kind of cups are you looking at?

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #7,139 of 8,988
  I want to build a woodie Grado. Should I get a pair of Alessandro MS1 and modify from there or get a pair of drivers and build from scratch? 

The tricky part of building from scratch is getting the headband/cup attaching assembly I think.  You can get cups, drivers (Magnum) and cable easy enough, but I'm not sure how you would go about getting the rest?

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #7,140 of 8,988
The tricky part of building from scratch is getting the headband/cup attaching assembly I think.  You can get cups, drivers (Magnum) and cable easy enough, but I'm not sure how you would go about getting the rest?

You can cannibalize other cans...I have used these before to good effect:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R9DIOEU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464793814&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=polaroid+headphones&dpPl=1&dpID=413wuTtW8RL&ref=plSrch

I prefer the headband from the Sony MDR7502, but then I have to make the cups a little smaller to fit properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back