post your grado mods....
Mar 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #6,961 of 8,992
Well guys, my wallet hurts a bit, but I just ordered a pair of Symphones Magnums V6 drivers and their 3d printed cups: http://symphones.com
Totals at around $150 including shipping.

When they get here, I'll let you know!

Another thing:
I want to upgrade my SR60-e cable, what would you advise for a connector? I am now considering implementing a 2.5 mm mono female socket, and getting an HD700 cable from ebay.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #6,962 of 8,992
Just thought some of you guys might be interested.

I purchased these knockoff L cush pads a while ago just out of curiosity and currently they are on my rosewood SennGrados. Quite frankly, they're very good! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191693020288?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The foam is a much softer variety than that which Grado or EZ use - makes them very comfortable and seemingly even lighter. They distance the ear about the same distance as the L cush do, however, these knockoffs don't have the edge to the bowl that the normal L cush pads do. The edge on these is flat and I'm not sure what sonic effects there are just yet, but I can tell you that they are much easier on the ear than the Grado bowls. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #6,963 of 8,992
  Well guys, my wallet hurts a bit, but I just ordered a pair of Symphones Magnums V6 drivers and their 3d printed cups: http://symphones.com
Totals at around $150 including shipping.

When they get here, I'll let you know!

Another thing:
I want to upgrade my SR60-e cable, what would you advise for a connector? I am now considering implementing a 2.5 mm mono female socket, and getting an HD700 cable from ebay.

Have you read this thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3975#post_12378042

Here's a cable you can take a look at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121548401848?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=420490833407&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,964 of 8,992
I really need to write a review on the symphones v6. I have been very pleased with the drivers. The company was great to deal with, fast shipping. I feel that the bass is more balanced than with my SR80 drivers. I like the increased visual and physical access to the area between the lens and diaphragm for cleaning.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #6,965 of 8,992
I really need to write a review on the symphones v6. I have been very pleased with the drivers. The company was great to deal with, fast shipping. I feel that the bass is more balanced than with my SR80 drivers. I like the increased visual and physical access to the area between the lens and diaphragm for cleaning.

Great....looks like fleasbaby is the only other person to write a review of the V6.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/symphones-magnums/reviews/14832

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #6,966 of 8,992
Hello! I'm putting together my first woodies using a pair of Eleven Acoustica cups - but I'm having some trouble getting the drivers into the cups - I'm assuming that they should end up flush with the wood... right? or is this as far as they go in - in that case what am I supposed to do to keep them in place??

Thanks for your help!

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #6,967 of 8,992
Mar 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #6,968 of 8,992
  Hello! I'm putting together my first woodies using a pair of Eleven Acoustica cups - but I'm having some trouble getting the drivers into the cups - I'm assuming that they should end up flush with the wood... right? or is this as far as they go in - in that case what am I supposed to do to keep them in place??

Thanks for your help!

Looks like the're not made to fit grado drivers, it seems the Ypsilon driver is a little smaller. It won't take much time to sand them out to fit flush.

Use 60 grit sandpaper and it will take a half an hour, use 1000 grit sandpaper and it will take about a month.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #6,969 of 8,992

Thanks for your help!

how did you get those drivers out so clean?

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #6,971 of 8,992
Looks really good Konstantin! Could you describe some sound impressions on them?

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,973 of 8,992
I recently purchased a pair of 225's and was to,d by the previous owner that the bass mod had been done to it and the drivers liberated. Can someone tell by these pics, if there are only 3 opened? Also, can they be covered back up if I am curious to hear what it would have sounded like without the mod. Here are the pics, what seems like has been done.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #6,974 of 8,992
I recently purchased a pair of 225's and was to,d by the previous owner that the bass mod had been done to it and the drivers liberated. Can someone tell by these pics, if there are only 3 opened? Also, can they be covered back up if I am curious to hear what it would have sounded like without the mod. Here are the pics, what seems like has been done.

Yes - 3 have been opened.
The easiest way to reverse the mod as closely as possible is to apply small squares of 'microporous tape' (first aid kit tape).
It has VERY similar acoustic properties to the damping material used on the back of most dynamic drivers.

It COULD be slightly too thicker however, so try covering up 2 holes first, then the third, then punch tiny holes in the 1,2 or all 3 bits of tape using a pin.
This will at least give you 3-6 scenarios that are very close to the original sound.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,975 of 8,992
Ok so I could use an opinion, I am considering some wood cups for my sr225, question is, just how much of a difference do wood cups really make, I have heard everything from a ton of difference to the fact that if a hardwood is used, it really does not differ much from the plastic cups and it won't really be noticeable. I don't want to invest another $80 on a pair of headphones that cost me $100 used only to find out there really is not a difference. I don't mean to open a can of worms, just a couple of experiences. The wood cups I am considering are a hard wood.

Thanks,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back