post your grado mods....
Mar 2, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #6,931 of 8,992
Hey y'all, I've been lurking this tread / messing with my Grado sr60i's since December. I felt compelled to share a humble lil' cushion replacement, and I'm hoping I can get some feedback from anyone who can try it out. 

Basically, just had a pair of Bose over-ears that broke a while ago lying around. I took the earpads from those (a memory foam type foam with a leather glove) and put them on my Grado SR60i. It's been a game changer for me. 

I honestly think it's had an AMAZING effect on bass, better than any of the other bass-enhancing mods i've tried from here (venting, tape mod, etc). The bass is booming but clean, and delivers deep bass. Highs are still clear. mids are a little drowned, but I think clarity-centered mods (e.g. removing the grill cloth) could balance that out. 

Here's a picture 
http://i.imgur.com/sJolooU.jpg

I'm talking about these pads (i removed the little plastic frame shown in the picture)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVWEVVG/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i6

Really hoping someone can try these out and let me know what they think. They've been a game changer for me.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #6,932 of 8,992
Yes, memory foam has this effect on bass.
I added some similar foam on my Grados and experienced similar positive effects.
Since your foams have small openings, they're not only increasing bass, but covering the outer area of the driver which is where most of the treble energy comes from.
So it has a double effect of 'bassing' things up. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #6,935 of 8,992
Ooooooh, those of your making? 3D printing strikes again. Thumb screws too, or those metal? the 1/8 inch shaft is what, steel, aluminum? Gorge for sure

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #6,937 of 8,992
  Ooooooh, those of your making? 3D printing strikes again. Thumb screws too, or those metal? the 1/8 inch shaft is what, steel, aluminum? Gorge for sure

Nice work.

thanks
pretty easy to make working on the rodblock next
the screws are printed, holes threaded with a machine screw first
shaft is pulled from an old grado set

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #6,938 of 8,992
Can you make the rodblock a folding or swivel version, like the Marshall Major or Urban Platten?

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #6,940 of 8,992
I just weighed my grado, 120 grams including the cable. Same weight as a potato, but definitely sounds better than one.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #6,941 of 8,992
Over 2 years ago in 2013, I posted up my modified Grado SR80
The 'white Grado':

After making this mod, I've been almost exclusively playing around with planar headphones both modern and mostly vintage.
I've learned a lot about basic headphone tuning along the way. 

My biggest gripe with Grados has always been piercing treble, which is why I switched to (not exclusively but mostly) planars, which often have more extended bass and softer treble texture than dynamics.
I have actually spent some time modifying dynamic headphone over the years also, but my SR80s have become sort of a show-piece rather than an actual listening tool the past two years.
I could bare it no longer and decided to do the most simple of modification I've learned along the way... and by gum, I'm glad I did! :eek:

I wasn't expecting much of a difference due to previous experiences with other dynamic headphones, but this time the change was not only very real, but EXACTLY what I've wanted to do to Grados since I owned my first about 10 years ago.

The following mod reduces piercing treble frequencies.

It works and it sounds very good.

Simply apply MICROPORE TAPE to the outer-most holes on the ear-side of the driver.
The more holes you cover, the greater the treble-reducing effect.
(micropore or microporous tape is breathable first-aid kit tape)

I found this amount works best for my SR80 which also has two vent holes pierced in the driver-rear vents... your taste may vary.

If you dislike piercing treble frequencies just try this mod. It's quick, reversible and you lose nothing by trying it out!

those are really amazing looking! Possibly best non-wood Mod I've seen. Bravo!
If you ever wanna try something new, I can do a shade mod from pearl white to a dark eggshell/light khaki hue. I just need to borrow these for 6 months and chain smoke my camel filters.
Seriously though, really impressive. Jealous

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #6,942 of 8,992

those are really amazing looking! Possibly best non-wood Mod I've seen. Bravo!
If you ever wanna try something new, I can do a shade mod from pearl white to a dark eggshell/light khaki hue. I just need to borrow these for 6 months and chain smoke my camel filters.
Seriously though, really impressive. Jealous

Cheers guy :)

Actually the cups are beech wood, but rather thin.... unless of course you're talking about the lambskin headband and foam :p

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #6,943 of 8,992
my Grado prepared by the Spirit Labs
img_3211.jpg

img_3010.jpg

image25.jpg

img_3214.jpg

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #6,944 of 8,992
That is what I built this week. Spirit Labs with an Grado SR225e drivers. Very nice ... but very heavy. If you are used to standard Grado weights it is a big difference.

The Spirit Labs are steel not aluminum. So I am waiting for a better headband, and than I will post a picture. And I used the over ear cushions, that is a must.

Sound so far is good, but I need a little bit more time here.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #6,945 of 8,992
That is what I built this week. Spirit Labs with an Grado SR225e drivers. Very nice ... but very heavy. If you are used to standard Grado weights it is a big difference.

The Spirit Labs are steel not aluminum. So I am waiting for a better headband, and than I will post a picture. And I used the over ear [COLOR=000000]cushions[/COLOR], that is a must.

Sound so far is good, but I need a little bit more time here.

Cup aluminium 118gr, ring brass 55gr
No Steel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back