post your grado mods....
Oct 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,691 of 8,988
Okay, I don't quite have time to read 446 pages, so will ask here: Has anyone ever tried the tape mod on the S-Cush pads? I know it is often done on the L-Cush, but what about the S-Cush (comfies)? Want to try it on my SR80e, but thought I would ask first. 

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6,692 of 8,988
Okay, I don't quite have time to read 446 pages, so will ask here: Has anyone ever tried the tape mod on the S-Cush pads? I know it is often done on the L-Cush, but what about the S-Cush (comfies)? Want to try it on my SR80e, but thought I would ask first. 

Thanks!

I would think the shape of the comfies would make this difficult to do. Not impossible, just tricky. You'd have to cut the tape at least in half. The shape of the L-Cush pads make them much more condusive to a tape mod, since the walls are relatively flat. The S-Cush bulge a bit.

Try it out, though. See how it works and let us know!

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #6,694 of 8,988

Thanks!

I tried this a while back by cutting the tape in half as liquidzoo suggests above. It still doesn't stay on very well as there isn't really a flat bit on the edge of the S.

I'm not sure there's any benefit sound-wise. From what I remember they may have just supressed the highs too much which isn't really necessary on an SR80 with S pads, but then again I may not remember correctly and they might have simply done nothing at all. They definitely didn't improve the sound however, unless supressed highs is what you're going for in which case it still might be worth a shot.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #6,695 of 8,988

Thanks!

Posted my ideas for custom bowls with l-cushions a long time ago here:

www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4095#post_9904067

No s cush used , but maybe you get some ideas for your s cush mods.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #6,696 of 8,988
still my favorite mod 

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #6,697 of 8,988
Busy weekend...

Finished off these:

They have a Black Limba body, and Rosewood outer faces. Driver seating is press-fit. I pushed wall thickness a little lower this time. These are an eighth of an inch thick. I made the pad lip flared again and made them narrow enough to use the Sony MDR7502 headband as is becoming my habit with full-length woodies. Both the Rosewood and the Limba had some odd little flaws in them (you can see it in the Rosewood in this picture), but I like the effect that brings.

Also finished these off:

A pair of Mahogany sleeves with foam-fit driver seating. Not much to say about them....

Still thinking about what I'll be doing with both projects. I have some V4 Magnum drivers I might put in the full-length woodies, and a pair of SR125 pinks I might put into the sleeves.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #6,698 of 8,988
  Busy weekend...

Finished off these:

They have a Black Limba body, and Rosewood outer faces. Driver seating is press-fit. I pushed wall thickness a little lower this time. These are an eighth of an inch thick. I made the pad lip flared again and made them narrow enough to use the Sony MDR7502 headband as is becoming my habit with full-length woodies. Both the Rosewood and the Limba had some odd little flaws in them (you can see it in the Rosewood in this picture), but I like the effect that brings.

I like the look also, I like to find wood that has a unique look to it.

Design looks a lot like the thelostmidrange's work.   

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #6,699 of 8,988

...no small coincidence there. I loved the look of his (@thelostMIDrange) stuff, and the thought that went into it, but never had a chance to actually own a pair of his cups. His DIY aesthetic and the obviously personal nature of his work got me inspired (among other things) to start turning my own. I get the feeling my work will be hopelessly derivative for a while as I pull from his theory. That will likely change as I start branching off and developing my own ideas on top of whatever I glean from his.

A side note, if someone has a pair of his cups/full builds they want to sell, shoot me a PM.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,700 of 8,988

...no small coincidence there. I loved the look of his (@thelostMIDrange) stuff, and the thought that went into it, but never had a chance to actually own a pair of his cups. His DIY aesthetic and the obviously personal nature of his work got me inspired (among other things) to start turning my own. I get the feeling my work will be hopelessly derivative for a while as I pull from his theory. That will likely change as I start branching off and developing my own ideas on top of whatever I glean from his.

A side note, if someone has a pair of his cups/full builds they want to sell, shoot me a PM.

The first cups I owned were from him..black limba. 

All I have left are a few pics.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #6,701 of 8,988
Did a thread search, and seen its been asked a while ago, but no comfirmations since, so I'll ask again. Anybody use MDF for earcups? Personally, I'm not a big fan of woodgrain, so why not use MDF and blast 'em with some hi quality automotive paint. MDF is good enough for speaker cabinets, shouldn't it have a similar result for earcups too? How's about any other composite material?

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #6,702 of 8,988
  Did a thread search, and seen its been asked a while ago, but no comfirmations since, so I'll ask again. Anybody use MDF for earcups? Personally, I'm not a big fan of woodgrain, so why not use MDF and blast 'em with some hi quality automotive paint. MDF is good enough for speaker cabinets, shouldn't it have a similar result for earcups too? How's about any other composite material?

I've recycled old fencing to make cups, never tried MDF though. Not too sure about how well it would turn on the lathe. It might do well with hole saws though.

Trouble with the recycled planks was, it was incredibly soft and spongy. Had great character though, especially glued together into layers.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,705 of 8,988
(Sorry for the repost, my original thread got next to no responses so im think this looks like a better place to get advice)

Hey guys, I just started using the site about a couple of hours ago, and so far the community seems really helpful.

Anyways, I have been a proud owner of a pair of Grado SR80e's for around the past year or so. While I do absolutly adore the things I do want to make a few alterations (wood cups and detachable cable). However, I do have a substantial problem with this possible mod project: I don't have any clue nor the means to do the modifications to even begin with. As a result, I am in search of a service willing to mod my pair so that way I don't absolutely demolish the things. So if anyone knows of any such service, I would much appreciate it being brought to my attention.

Heck I know this may be a bit of a stretch but if that doesn't work out, if there is anyone in the community willing to do the dirty work for me, I would be more than happy to follow through with that. I will definitely pay for such a favor, don't worry :]

and if EVEN that doesn't work out, I may be willing to take the plunge and do some simple and easy mods, so feel free to let me know of some of those too.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back