post your grado mods....
Jul 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #6,482 of 8,992
I used the cups from my SennGrado because I was impatient and wanted to hear the JVC's.
I Just got my Vibro cups today in the mail to rebuild the SennGrados. I also just ordered the new SennGrado ring adapters from Vibro Labs so I'm waiting for those to arrive.

I wish I had the tools to make my own wooden cups, but I'm glad that there are people out there making and selling them.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #6,483 of 8,992
  I used the cups from my SennGrado because I was impatient and wanted to hear the JVC's.
I Just got my Vibro cups today in the mail to rebuild the SennGrados. I also just ordered the new SennGrado ring adapters from Vibro Labs so I'm waiting for those to arrive.

I wish I had the tools to make my own wooden cups, but I'm glad that there are people out there making and selling them.

Great stuff!

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6,485 of 8,992
I removed the filter paper covering the holes around the driver and the center. They sound much better! 
Improved bass, mids, vocals and no more piercing treble. I'm enjoying the sound they produce.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #6,488 of 8,992
I did the same thing to my SR225e headphones. The bass got stronger, maybe a little bloated. So I figured why not on the JVC drivers. They were only $30.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #6,489 of 8,992
Are there any pads that mimic the stock pad + scotch tape mod? I absolutely love the mod, bass is punchy, instrument separation is amazing with detail; but the tape is so ugly and itchy.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #6,490 of 8,992
newbie moder here :)

just bought recently my first pair of Grado. I've being following this great family brand since quite a long time and i decided to pull the trigger for a SR80e...

One of my main motivation is to mod my headphones working on the aesthetic and if possible improving the sound quality.

I read quite a number of pages of this thread and decided to start the mods

Recabling.

i decided to work with Canare L4e6s, viablue Y splitter and neutrik TRS 3.5 jack

first phase was to prepare the wire.

i removed the plastic wrapper and the shield.
i used 2 different types of paracord for the sleeving

first phase done!

Soldering of the jack.

I love Neutrik, for a beginner like myself it is very easy to work with

2 blue wires for the signal, 2 white wires for the ground

Phase 2 done!

Opening up of the headphones.

I follow a tutorial i saw on the net, together with my loyal hair dryer reach my goal!

quite easy actualy, 1 min on each can.

i cleaned the remaining glue and decided to remove the SR80e inscription.

Once again with the haire dryer i tried to melt the glue, ..., the grill melted!!!!

i will have to change it!

No big deal

Phase 3 done!

Finding Left / Right

very easy:

the new cables are ready to be soldered to the Grado...

Soldering the new cable.

straight forward, melting the soldering paste, removing original wire and place the new.

Easy, unless if you have Huuuge finger as i do !!!

At this point a decided to go for the hole punching mod...
As you may notice, it is not possible on the SR80e.

There is 2 holes near the solders, and the top part is not punchable...

Phase 4 done!

the remaining tasks were quite easy, i found a potential grill ( the one i used to prevent my cat jumping for the balcony!!!).

Glue, replacing the 2 parts of the headphones together and...

... TAAA DAAAA

took me 2 hours and i had a lot of fun!!!

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #6,491 of 8,992

just bought recently my first pair of Grado. I've being following this great family brand since quite a long time and i decided to pull the trigger for a SR80e...

One of my main motivation is to mod my headphones working on the aesthetic and if possible improving the sound quality.

I read quite a number of pages of this thread and decided to start the mods

nice work

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #6,492 of 8,992

Recabling.

i used 2 different types of paracord for the sleeving

Soldering of the jack.

I love Neutrik, for a beginner like myself it is very easy to work with

2 blue wires for the signal, 2 white wires for the ground

Phase 2 done!

Opening up of the headphones.

I follow a tutorial i saw on the net, together with my loyal hair dryer reach my goal!

quite easy actualy, 1 min on each can.

i cleaned the remaining glue and decided to remove the SR80e inscription.

Once again with the haire dryer i tried to melt the glue, ..., the grill melted!!!!

i will have to change it!

No big deal

Phase 3 done!

Finding Left / Right

very easy:

the new cables are ready to be soldered to the Grado...

Soldering the new cable.

straight forward, melting the soldering paste, removing original wire and place the new.

Easy, unless if you have Huuuge finger as i do !!!

At this point a decided to go for the hole punching mod...
As you may notice, it is not possible on the SR80e.

There is 2 holes near the solders, and the top part is not punchable...

Phase 4 done!

the remaining tasks were quite easy, i found a potential grill ( the one i used to prevent my cat jumping for the balcony!!!).

Glue, replacing the 2 parts of the headphones together and...

... TAAA DAAAA

Awesome job mate. Curious as to the 2 Types of ParaCord ?? I only ask, because I'm going to use the 8 Conductor Grado Cord, and I'm up in arms as to sleeve back or the 8 wires, or do a braid, and cover them all up in one could swoop . . . I've just ordered 300ft of 275 cord (3 different colours and it was cheaper this way) for the individual wires, but might order more depending on what you used, and availability in Aust.

Cheers

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #6,493 of 8,992

Awesome job mate. Curious as to the 2 Types of ParaCord ?? I only ask, because I'm going to use the 8 Conductor Grado Cord, and I'm up in arms as to sleeve back or the 8 wires, or do a braid, and cover them all up in one could swoop . . . I've just ordered 300ft of 275 cord (3 different colours and it was cheaper this way) for the individual wires, but might order more depending on what you used, and availability in Aust.

Cheers

Hi thanks!

i used this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shiping-12-Colors-Reflective-Paracord-550lb-7-Strand-100FT100-feet-31-Meter-Survival-7strand-PARACHUTE/763296745.html

I had to remove the shielding of the canare LE4e6s to insert it in the paracord.
It is not extensible at all.

so it goes you will have to put 2 conductors per Paracord and braid.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #6,494 of 8,992
Hi thanks!

i used this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shiping-12-Colors-Reflective-Paracord-550lb-7-Strand-100FT100-feet-31-Meter-Survival-7strand-PARACHUTE/763296745.html

I had to remove the shielding of the canare LE4e6s to insert it in the paracord.

Or you could sleeve them individually and do an 8 Strand Braid up to the Y-split, then do 2 4 strand braids from there. Could probably super/hot glue the center of the braid at the split to keep it together if you needed to, though the tension on the 8 wires would probably keep it from unraveling itself.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #6,495 of 8,992

Hi thanks!

i used this one:

Ok cool. Appreciate that. I thought it 550, but you just don't know, with images. I'm using the 8 Conductor Grado cable, as I believe they are still some of the best around, so I will be taking the outer sheathing off. 

Or you could sleeve them individually and do an 8 Strand Braid up to the Y-split, then do 2 4 strand braids from there. Could probably super/hot glue the center of the braid at the split to keep it together if you needed to, though the tension on the 8 wires would probably keep it from unraveling itself.

This is what I was planing on doing. Individual covering on the 8 wires, then 4 braid to the Driver. I really wanted to know the above, incase I have troubles in one way or another, covering each strand and/or 8Braiding the conductors. 
With the 550 or TechFlex I could just to a basic braid if I had issues doing the other, then hide the mess in the bigger diameter coverings. 
There are so many options out there, like using 550 for 2 conductors, then 4 Braid to the Y then cover the 4 conductors to the Drivers, or to the 8 & 4 as you mentioned. I'm acquiring everything I can, now, so if something doesn't work, I can easily enough move on the the easier option, without missing a beat . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back