post your grado mods....
Jul 24, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #6,466 of 8,992
The reason why I asked is that I have a set of cups that I've been using for the last six months that I want to give away. They have some gum spots on the side, Cherry gets those, they're usable. If you have a set of Grados to mod I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Such a generous offer - what a guy!

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #6,467 of 8,992

The reason why I asked is that I have a set of cups that I've been using for the last six months that I want to give away. They have some gum spots on the side, Cherry gets those, they're usable. If you have a set of Grados to mod I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Such a generous offer - what a guy!

They're not that great.....but good enough for a guy that's just starting to mod.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #6,468 of 8,992
I think everyone is in the same boat. I wish I had the opportunity to use a CNC machine. You can pick up small cheap lathes no worries. Thanks for the heads up on YewWoodWorks, will be contacting them me thinks.

What's people thoughts on full length or slip on cups?? Are full length better for all round sound ? Is there a big difference in sound ??

Cheers

PS: Who knows where to get headbands made ??

Turbulent Labs makes fantastic headbands.

http://turbulentlabs.com/leather-manta-headbands/

Shipping from Malaysia is a bit long, but I absolutely love mine.

Regarding full length vs slip on, Full length means you have to totally liberate the drivers. Slip on means you can just take the plastic cup off and put the cups on without removing the plastic sleeve. Not sure on the sound differences, but I would imagine that a full length cup would be subtly different sounding.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,469 of 8,992
Turbulent Labs makes fantastic headbands.

http://turbulentlabs.com/leather-manta-headbands/

Shipping from Malaysia is a bit long, but I absolutely love mine.

Regarding full length vs slip on, Full length means you have to totally liberate the drivers. Slip on means you can just take the plastic cup off and put the cups on without removing the plastic sleeve. Not sure on the sound differences, but I would imagine that a full length cup would be subtly different sounding.

Thanks liquid . . . I know I would have to liberate the drivers for full length, I was more wanting to know of the sound differences. I would of thought personally that full length would be a softer warmer overall sound, but thats just guessing, as I have never had the pleasure of listening to such cans.
I'll give Turbulent labs a bell, and being just across the waters to me, I don't think I would be waiting long for a delivery. If they get sent via Perth I'm ok, its when they go via Sydney/Melbourne is when I get a little anxious.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #6,470 of 8,992
The first headband I bought from Turbulent Labs took 5 days to get here (Missouri). The second took three weeks. I would imagine the mean is somewhere in between. PlusSound Audio also makes really nice custom leather headbands with more colors to chose from but they're not padded if that makes a difference to you. 7 keys does beautiful cups, if you go back a couple of pages you can see his work on a pair of Alessandro's I modded.
Beware, modding is addictive. I'm working on my third mod now with cups from Vibro Labs and I'm already collecting pieces for a fourth.
Happy hunting and good luck!

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #6,471 of 8,992
The first headband I bought from Turbulent Labs took 5 days to get here (Missouri). The second took three weeks. I would imagine the mean is somewhere in between. PlusSound Audio also makes really nice custom leather headbands with more colors to chose from but they're not padded if that makes a difference to you. 7 keys does beautiful cups, if you go back a couple of pages you can see his work on a pair of Alessandro's I modded.
Beware, modding is addictive. I'm working on my third mod now with cups from Vibro Labs and I'm already collecting pieces for a fourth.
Happy hunting and good luck!

Cool, thanks Brian. Will give PlusSound a look too. I'm nearly right with all parts, as I have seen you can pay upwards of $200+ for a custom cable. Will think more on this

I can see how it becomes addictive, and seeing as I have the time now, finally receiving my Military Pension, I can see it will become a labour of love  . . .haha

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #6,472 of 8,992

As much as I loathe turning down free stuff, I don't currently have a pair of Grados... and thanks to this amp project I'm currently on, it'll be mid-August before I can pry some more funds loose for toys. That said, if no one else snatches them up by then, by all means let me know! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #6,473 of 8,992
I have started. 
Have ordered a Headband from Turbulent Labs (thanks liquidzoo for the headsup).

Then from plusSound I ordered a Cryo Treated 3.5mm 1/8" Rhodium Plated Straight Plug and their Cryo Treated Aluminum Y-Splitter.

From there I am going to use the Grado cable and re-cable it all, by Litz 8 Braid. Now this is where I'm having trouble. I need to know what the size of the conductors are in the Grado Cable without cutting it to bits first.
Reason being, is I want to find either TechFlex and/or paracord, to cover each and everyone of the 8 conductors. I will 8 Braid to the 'Y' then 4 Braid to the drivers.
Can anyone suggest what size paracord and tech flex I should get measured at the ID (inside diameter) ?? 

And the pièce de résistance. . . . . I hope to be doing business with 7keys on a nice set of cups.

will post as I start modding, but would like feedback on the conductor issue, so I don't have loose fitting over them when I braid them up . .

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6,474 of 8,992
  I have started. 
Have ordered a Headband from Turbulent Labs (thanks liquidzoo for the headsup).

Then from plusSound I ordered a Cryo Treated 3.5mm 1/8" Rhodium Plated Straight Plug and their Cryo Treated Aluminum Y-Splitter.

From there I am going to use the Grado cable and re-cable it all, by Litz 8 Braid. Now this is where I'm having trouble. I need to know what the size of the conductors are in the Grado Cable without cutting it to bits first.
Reason being, is I want to find either TechFlex and/or paracord, to cover each and everyone of the 8 conductors. I will 8 Braid to the 'Y' then 4 Braid to the drivers.
Can anyone suggest what size paracord and tech flex I should get measured at the ID (inside diameter) ?? 

And the pièce de résistance. . . . . I hope to be doing business with 7keys on a nice set of cups.

will post as I start modding, but would like feedback on the conductor issue, so I don't have loose fitting over them when I braid them up . .

looks like a good start
i've used the innards of the grado cables
i think its either 24 or 26 awg (without having any in front of me)
275 paracord should do just fine
there's a very good diy cable thread if you have any more cable questions

good luck

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #6,476 of 8,992
I have gone over and posted there. Quote:
  looks like a good start
i've used the innards of the grado cables
i think its either 24 or 26 awg (without having any in front of me)
275 paracord should do just fine
there's a very good diy cable thread if you have any more cable questions

good luck

I have found the cable thread, cheers. I'm guessing 275 is small enough for the 1 x 26/24 awg ?

Really interested to know what the quality of the turbulent labs manta is - compared to say, the stock SR80/60/etc headband.

I will let you know when I have received it. But from the site, its uncorrected Italian leather which is machine stitched and has a good padding on it. From the leather work I did years ago, this band should wear nicely, getting better looking and more subtle over time. It will a lot softer to touch than the Grado band, from reading what they are. 
Isn't  the 60/80's Faux leather ?? if so, then this band will be a 200% better band all round.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #6,477 of 8,992
  Really interested to know what the quality of the turbulent labs manta is - compared to say, the stock SR80/60/etc headband.

The Turbulent Labs headbands are first class, well stitched, nicely padded and they fit well on the headband. There is no comparison to the stock Grado faux leather. Just don't expect it any time soon although I expect it depends on where in the world you are. Like I said in a previous post, I've ordered two. The first came in 5 days, the second (through no fault of Turbulent Labs because they shipped the next day) took three weeks. In both cases however (Onyx Manta and Saddle Manta), they look, feel and fit great. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #6,478 of 8,992
I have been lurking around this site for a long time and finally got the courage to post something. 
So, I bought some JVC HA-S500 Headphones off of amazon and put the drivers into some wood cups from Yew Woodworks on Etsy.
They Work, but I'm not happy with the sound they produce. The treble is piercing and the vocals are sunken/hidden.
Side Note; Using full Ethernet wire pairs and shoelaces for the cable. 

I think I will try to find some used Beyerdynamic drivers off of ebay and try those next.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #6,479 of 8,992
  I have been lurking around this site for a long time and finally got the courage to post something. 
So, I bought some JVC HA-S500 Headphones off of amazon and put the drivers into some wood cups from Yew Woodworks on Etsy.
They Work, but I'm not happy with the sound they produce. The treble is piercing and the vocals are sunken/hidden.
Side Note; Using full Ethernet wire pairs and shoelaces for the cable. 

I think I will try to find some used Beyerdynamic drivers off of ebay and try those next.

Those look nice, great job!

It's hit and miss trying new drivers. You might want to try a driver that has already proven it's self.

The Senn PX100ii has a great track record.

Check out this thred.
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/728069/woodied-sennheiser-aka-senngrado-tour-thread

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #6,480 of 8,992
Thank you!
Yeah, I made some SennGrados. I should have posted those first. (Used the cups from my SennGrados to test out the JVC's)
The SennGrados are better than the JVC drivers IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back