post your grado mods....
May 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6,292 of 8,987
So after 3 months of completely destroying my 225 drivers from soldering, I finally ordered the Turbulent X drivers from Turbulent X's website.
Before I email the guys themselves, I'd like to ask a few questions here.

1) Does anyone know the orientation how these are supposed to be positioned? (rotation wise)
2) Which driver are these equivalent to? SR80, 125, 225?
3) How long did it take before yours came in the mail?

I'll just find out on my own later...

May 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,293 of 8,987
depending on where you live, the mail will come for like 3 weeks or so.. (atleast that's how long i got mine)
if i'm not mistaken turbulent x driver is actually enhanced sr325's driver (i'm not quite sure but that's what i heard).. they're are very fast sounding, simply put you won't regret that you spend your money on that baby..
  So after 3 months of completely destroying my 225 drivers from soldering, I finally ordered the Turbulent X drivers from Turbulent X's website.

1) Does anyone know the orientation how these are supposed to be positioned? (rotation wise)

May 10, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,294 of 8,987

Do you plan on taking the old drivers out of the grado cups and dropping the magnum drivers in?

May 10, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #6,295 of 8,987
  Do you plan on taking the old drivers out of the grado cups and dropping the magnum drivers in?

Well for once on headfi, I actually got what I wanted from user replies!

Anyhow, I already have your wooden african padouk pads to fill the magnum drivers in. In which Turbulent Labs has their own set of Vimeo videos to guide me through the whole way. https://vimeo.com/51110396

depending on where you live, the mail will come for like 3 weeks or so.. (atleast that's how long i got mine)
if i'm not mistaken turbulent x driver is actually enhanced sr325's driver (i'm not quite sure but that's what i heard).. they're are very fast sounding, simply put you won't regret that you spend your money on that baby..

Thank you for your response, I'll definitely take the extra caution for installing these drivers now.

The look of these headphones are quite embarrassing when they're on my head actually. However I have a set of HE-400 earpads and I hope to glue a set of grado earpads to make them an over-ear headphone. Then I have another set to make them an on-ear portable headphone.

I'm actually hoping the headphone I'll assemble will sound better than my AKG Q701's. If they do, well then I will actually sell off half of my headphone inventory.

May 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #6,296 of 8,987

Anyhow, I already have your wooden african padouk pads to fill the magnum drivers in. In which Turbulent Labs has their own set of Vimeo videos to guide me through the whole way. https://vimeo.com/51110396

The magnum drivers will actually fit perfectly in my cups without the need for tape, and you're going to have to solder the cable into the cups as my cups usually have a hole and not a slot for the cable...although I have made some with a slot. 

Have you looked at this thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum

May 11, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #6,298 of 8,987

Thank you for your response, I'll definitely take the extra caution for installing these drivers now.

The look of these headphones are quite embarrassing when they're on my head actually. However I have a set of HE-400 earpads and I hope to glue a set of grado earpads to make them an over-ear headphone. Then I have another set to make them an on-ear portable headphone.

I'm actually hoping the headphone I'll assemble will sound better than my AKG Q701's. If they do, well then I will actually sell off half of my headphone inventory.

hmm a he-400 pads? which? the pleather or the velour one?

May 11, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #6,300 of 8,987
  Unfortunately I only have the pleathers to play around with. Although I'll try my AKG's velour pads.

i've got suggestion from stratocaster, to reduce the mid bass hump you can combine the grado pads with velour pad and do some internal damping to the headphone..

haven't tried it myself but some people actually said that the pleather pads won't fit the sound, tho you can try it if you're curious (and plus it is the matter of how you like it, not others)
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back