post your grado mods....
Mar 26, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6,167 of 8,992
  Thanks! @alv4426 I probably will make more. I'll let you know when I do. Basic skills on a lathe + a couple hours is all it took! And I think that is like $4 of scrap tube from the shop lol

Nice work! put me down for a pair if you make some more! 
popcorn.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #6,168 of 8,992
The anodizing will require handling noxious chemicals. Not sure that's something you even want to handle alone.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #6,169 of 8,992
It should be possible to find a localish anodizer. I know there are several in this area, it usually doesn't cost too much either. Powder coating could also be a viable option, especially for a gloss finish or even to finish in other colors.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #6,170 of 8,992
sharks where are you at in NJ? Last couple of years I was living in Maplewood/Newark, but just moved back home. yeah GREQ I think you're right so I googled anodizing and it popped up a local place that just so happens to be the building next door to where I work. I never knew what it was until now! lucky me. I just hope it's not too expensive...

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,171 of 8,992
  sharks where are you at in NJ? Last couple of years I was living in Maplewood/Newark, but just moved back home. yeah GREQ I think you're right so I googled anodizing and it popped up a local place that just so happens to be the building next door to where I work. I never knew what it was until now! lucky me. I just hope it's not too expensive...

If you don't mind, would you report back on a price to have the cups anodized please? I'm  interested in anodizing my PS1K's someday, I never really liked the Chrome finish.
Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,172 of 8,992
I live in the Montclair/Cedar Grove area now. I dealt with an annodizer in Paterson in the past.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #6,174 of 8,992
i have a driver on an sr60 that's not working...does anyone know if it can be repaired or whether i should just shop around for a replacement? one channel wasn't working, so i removed the leads, cleaned the pads, re-soldered, but still no sound. the cable shows continuity from the 1/8" to the other end, so i think it's fine there. 

when i use the MM to probe the two pads there is no signal going through...

anyway, if anyone knows anything, i'm all ears. thanks.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,175 of 8,992
  i have a driver on an sr60 that's not working...does anyone know if it can be repaired or whether i should just shop around for a replacement? one channel wasn't working, so i removed the leads, cleaned the pads, re-soldered, but still no sound. the cable shows continuity from the 1/8" to the other end, so i think it's fine there. 

when i use the MM to probe the two pads there is no signal going through...

anyway, if anyone knows anything, i'm all ears. thanks.

I told Grado that they can't do anything about my SR225 after I re-soldered cables (voiding my warranty). The reason for mine not working is that when I was re-cabling, the extremely thin voice coil wire snapped between the solder pad (the beige looking mold) and the driver itself. Even my dad who works in fiber optics couldn't repair the voice coil wire because the wire is so fragile.

So in the end, I just decided to buy a set of woodies, iem cables, and currently now making a budget to buy turbulent x drivers

P.S. People here on headfi go crazy once someone decides to sell their grado drivers on the trade forum

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #6,176 of 8,992
I told Grado that they can't do anything about my SR225 after I re-soldered cables (voiding my warranty). The reason for mine not working is that when I was re-cabling, the extremely thin voice coil wire snapped between the solder pad (the beige looking mold) and the driver itself. Even my dad who works in fiber optics couldn't repair the voice coil wire because the wire is so fragile.

So in the end, I just decided to buy a set of woodies, iem cables, and currently now making a budget to buy turbulent x drivers

P.S. People here on headfi go crazy once someone decides to sell their grado drivers on the trade forum
I'm sure that's what happened to my driver. no continuity between the pads must mean the voice coil busted...it's ok. I picked these up in a local craigslist for $20 in hope that it was a wire issue rather than a driver issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back