post your grado mods....
Feb 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,121 of 8,992
  Correct.  There are also sonic reasons.  Maple  bodies are bright and very "sharp" sounding... thin sounding if you will.  Thats why maple is almost always a cap to a richer/warmer sounding wood.  So you get the warmth of basswood, alder, poplar or a chambered mahogany and the clarity of the maple top.

Two of my Kramers are maple (Pacer and a Vanguard) and they both weigh a ton.

exactly i particularly like the mahogany
i have a '65 melody maker the body is 0ne piece of mahogany
no glue joint it sings

those old heavy kramers play nice

I think they do that because an all hard Maple guitar would be too heavy. I love the sound of Hard Maple cups but for me they're too plain.

flamed maple, qulited maple, birdseye maple, spalted maple

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #6,124 of 8,992
Did anyone mention the Earzonk L cushions? I bought them a few days ago and they came in the mail just now.

It may destroy the traditional grado sound, but that wasn't my entire objective in buying the grados. I absolutely love the Earzonk L foamies right now!

I like how the grados make guitars sound active and live instead of held back. It has the right amount of distortion that makes me fall in love with it. However, as soon as this courier can hurry up with my cables; I hope to make the mids sound a bit more enjoyable with my soon to install wooden cups.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #6,125 of 8,992
  Did anyone mention the Earzonk L cushions? I bought them a few days ago and they came in the mail just now.

It may destroy the traditional grado sound, but that wasn't my entire objective in buying the grados. I absolutely love the Earzonk L foamies right now!

I like how the grados make guitars sound active and live instead of held back. It has the right amount of distortion that makes me fall in love with it. However, as soon as this courier can hurry up with my cables; I hope to make the mids sound a bit more enjoyable with my soon to install wooden cups.

Im really enjoying the Zonk L pads on my RS1.  Listening as I type.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #6,127 of 8,992
I think I have one working SR60 driver. PM me.

Thanks for the offer, but I have changed direction since I got a pair of PS500s. I did finish my HF1 hommages yesterday though. I will have to post pictures eventually.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #6,128 of 8,992
Can someone explain the effects of using a small quarter sized dampener made of wood on the grill? I did a search and was not finding exactly what to expect when you put them on. I have an MS1i and have not done really any mods to it acoustically. Thanks for the info!!

James

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #6,129 of 8,992
Can someone explain the effects of using a small quarter sized dampener made of wood on the grill? I did a search and was not finding exactly what to expect when you put them on. I have an MS1i and have not done really any mods to it acoustically. Thanks for the info!!

James

Not too sure?
When most people mod their Grado's they remove the buttons from the grills for more air flow. Don't understand why someone would want to restrict the air flow any further on an open back HP? Move the palms of your hands closer to your cups while listening too them, and hear how the sound changes for the worse.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #6,130 of 8,992

So I guess then I wonder why Grado even makes buttons for the headphones? I am tempted to tape a quarter to my headphones grill and see what that does. I am thinking that maybe when you "Mod" something then perhaps it goes to an extreme and then you need to compensate slightly by adding the dampeners?

James 

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #6,131 of 8,992
  So I guess then I wonder why Grado even makes buttons for the headphones? I am tempted to tape a quarter to my headphones grill and see what that does. I am thinking that maybe when you "Mod" something then perhaps it goes to an extreme and then you need to compensate slightly by adding the dampeners?

James 

Yes, I understand Grado uses the buttons on their grills, but their the size of a dime, and their plastic…plastic is in no way a dampener. Try it, see how it sounds, you may like it.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #6,132 of 8,992
Just tried a modified tap mod (modded the mod :O) That totally changed the character of my new sr225e's.  Cut strips in a screen protector, wrapped the strips around the perimeter of the bowls and taped it up.  Much more bass forward now.  I feel like I might have lost some detail in the highs/mid-highs that I loved them for in the first place, but rock and electronic appreciate this mod!  And no warranty voiding!

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,133 of 8,992
Tyll did an excellent write up on tape modding Grado L pads:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #6,134 of 8,992
Best tape mod for me is wrapping ~1cm wide electrical tape around L-cush (along the centre line so that there's 4-5mm of foam still exposed either side of the tape). If I use wider tape to cover the entire outside, it becomes too muddy. Putting a slimmer amount around it gives the best balance imo.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #6,135 of 8,992
  Tyll did an excellent write up on tape modding Grado L pads:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

G-Cushion --- Commonly called "Bagel Pads" or "Salad Bowls,"
I get this feeling Grado users are hungry for sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back