post your grado mods....
Sep 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,356 of 8,987
And yes home depot and Lowe's sells danish oil, I think its maybe 10$ a can

Thanks...got some today over lunch. Inadvertently grabbed the Golden Oak color though. Might take it back.

Do you do the whole cup or just the outside?

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #5,357 of 8,987
I am not sure if the oil plays with the tone on the inside, i would stick with just outside for oil. But im sure someone with more experience will chime in

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #5,358 of 8,987
I am not sure if the oil plays with the tone on the inside, i would stick with just outside for oil. But im sure someone with more experience will chime in

I had a look through the "cup tuning basics" thread, and the last few pages seem to point toward burnishing (ie: no finish, just, in one option, rubbing the wood with super-fine sandpaper) on the outside and a weird oiling and sets ding method on the inside. Might just burnish them inside and out and leave it at that. I keep forgetting that once they are in and the pads are on they won't be visible :)

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #5,359 of 8,987
Well ya, I forgot you were just doing inner sleeves, I left my inner sleeves bare, my outter cups had poly on the outside nothing on the inside.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #5,360 of 8,987
Well ya, I forgot you were just doing inner sleeves, I left my inner sleeves bare, my outter cups had poly on the outside nothing on the inside.

Anyways...had a minute, got the Magnum X transferred over to the new sleeves and cups...had one little snafu with drilling the wire holes...a slight angle but you can't tell:

All looks nice and clean. First impressions, not bassy, or warmer, than the Lignum...well, not warmer by much...just a very pleasant, even tone...more time to be spent with them at the office tomorrow :)....

Edit: I guess this should go in the Grado Modders to Magnum thread...oh well :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,365 of 8,987
Gr33: That's the manta headband and fleas baby : I couldn't find aluminum sleeves anywhere :frowning2: I was thinking in contacting you for a pair of wood inner sleeves but I just moved to Toronto and my finances are falling apart.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #5,366 of 8,987
Nice...well, all in due course. Part of the fun for me is the incremental mods and slowly building the perfect pair...

I just finished making my first pair of sleeves. Now going to try some full woodies. I cut the rough shapes this morning. Might start shaping tomorrow.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5,369 of 8,987
Get some blutack from an office supply store... Works the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back