post your grado mods....
Apr 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #4,891 of 8,988
  Is there any way to mod a RS2i to detachable cables, e.g. for a short one ("mobil" use) and a long one (home use at a full size amp)? Interesting thread too, some nice mods - great work
normal_smile .gif

Yeah! 

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #4,892 of 8,988
Ok is any tutorial or something available? Thank you :wink:

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #4,893 of 8,988
I've never seen a detachable cable mod done on an RS1 or RS2, but plenty on SR ones...here's one for a single-sided SR60i:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-SR60i-Single-Side-Detachable-Cable-Mod/

Here's another for SR325is, or Allesandro MS2:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142410/diy-guide-detachable-cables-on-a-metal-grado

The problem you will face is opening up those gorgeous mahogany cups without destroying them. You might want to pay someone like the gentleman at BTG Audio to do this....

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #4,894 of 8,988
The problem won't be so much getting the cups off but you're going to have to drill to make a hole big enough to fit a connector in there, which is going to imply recoating the wood where you drilled somehow. Without some wood working skills I wouldn't attempt to mess with RS2s/RS1s/GS1ks.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,896 of 8,988
   Nice! What kind of wood is that?
Looks like you followed the headfonics thread  how-to-get-a-perfect-woody........... hole saw method for those.

Yes all I used was hole-saws on a mill and a lot of sanding 
tongue_smile.gif

They are made out mahogany that I found by visiting a local furniture maker. He gave it to me for 5 dollars!
The grills are made out of a strainer I found in my kitchen jeje

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #4,897 of 8,988
  nice! can you give us more details about these headphones? drivers? what kind of cable? etc...

Yeah I made them out an SR-80i headset.
Everything else I bought from a place called qables on the internet (silver wire, y-splitter, neutrik connector, and the mylar sleeve). They have good products and prices.
The hardest thing is getting a good finish!

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #4,898 of 8,988

Yeah I made them out an SR-80i headset.
Everything else I bought from a place called qables on the internet (silver wire, y-splitter, neutrik connector, and the mylar sleeve). They have good products and prices.
The hardest thing is getting a good finish!

cool. i'm finishing up a woody build using some sr225 drivers that i was able to buy for pretty cheap. cable's done, just waiting on the wood cups to come next week (i'm not adventurous enough to build the cups like you did). i hope to have it completed by next weekend and i'll post some pics.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4,899 of 8,988
  cool. i'm finishing up a woody build using some sr225 drivers that i was able to buy for pretty cheap. cable's done, just waiting on the wood cups to come next week (i'm not adventurous enough to build the cups like you did). i hope to have it completed by next weekend and i'll post some pics.

Nice man, good luck on your build. When soldering the wire to the drivers try to do it as fast as possible to not damage the drivers. Also try to make the wire contact the metal pad directly instead of using solder as a bridge. This should improve the sound quality :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #4,900 of 8,988
  I've never seen a detachable cable mod done on an RS1 or RS2, but plenty on SR ones...here's one for a single-sided SR60i:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-SR60i-Single-Side-Detachable-Cable-Mod/

Here's another for SR325is, or Allesandro MS2:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142410/diy-guide-detachable-cables-on-a-metal-grado

The problem you will face is opening up those gorgeous mahogany cups without destroying them. You might want to pay someone like the gentleman at BTG Audio to do this....

Thanks man, yes I think I will search for someone he can do this proberly.

The problem won't be so much getting the cups off but you're going to have to drill to make a hole big enough to fit a connector in there, which is going to imply recoating the wood where you drilled somehow. Without some wood working skills I wouldn't attempt to mess with RS2s/RS1s/GS1ks.

Yes that's true, I don't want to destroy this beautiful headphones.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #4,901 of 8,988
  Nice man, good luck on your build. When soldering the wire to the drivers try to do it as fast as possible to not damage the drivers. Also try to make the wire contact the metal pad directly instead of using solder as a bridge. This should improve the sound quality :)

thanks...i've modded my sr60 with new cables and replaced one of the drivers, so feel pretty comfortable with the recabling. right now my biggest question/worry is about putting the grills in - @fleasbaby suggested i repurpose the mesh from the sr225 housing, which is what i'll try to do first. but i also bought some cheap mesh off of ebay that i can use in case that doesn't work.  hopefully, i'll be able to post pics next weekend.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,905 of 8,988
...I upgraded my personal build (cable courtesy of fellow head-fier, wje; drivers are Turbulent X; headband is also from Turbulent) last night, and switched out my Cabillas, GS1000 clone cups for a pair of RS1-style Lignum Vitae...

Jim dropped a few pairs off for me yesterday, one pair went off to a nice fellow in Hawaii, I have another two pairs on my shelf. Jim kindly threw in a third pair specifically for me, on the house. I was most grateful. As I noted with the first pair he made, they tighten the sound up a lot, and seem to enhance accuracy.

The color is interesting...its an odd, green-tinged brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back