post your grado mods....
Mar 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,818 of 8,992
Here are a few Auvio headphones for super cheap on AMZ. These have a very comfortable headband with gimbals that natively fit Grado cups.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HS64ANW/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #4,819 of 8,992
  Here are a few Auvio headphones for super cheap on AMZ. These have a very comfortable headband with gimbals that natively fit Grado cups.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HS64ANW/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I got mine on sale at Radio Shack - brand new for $12.99.  Not sure when the next sale will be, but if you can wait I wouldn't be surprised if they run the sale again

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #4,820 of 8,992
Hmm... May have to pick up a pair. My brother has been bugging me about buying them (he my modded sr60is now). I have larger diameter cups that I could not attach original gimbals to. So I made it gimbal-less, what I originall did not take into consideration was that the the gimbals change the angle of the cup to contour your ear properly. The SR60is fit kind of awkward. 

The only thing that I am worried about is me is A) those gimbals do not fit, it would be wasting money and B) how the hell am I going to properly move the metal bar stuck in the cups.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,821 of 8,992
....more good stuff from Jim yesterday...these are the Lignum Vitae I mentiend before:

They are super hard, and sound fantastic.

These are Curly Maple:

Haven't tried these yet...might get some time with them tomorrow. They were an experiment on his part.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #4,823 of 8,992
LOL...I wondered about that...thought I would take the man at his word though :).

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #4,825 of 8,992
  Hmm... May have to pick up a pair. My brother has been bugging me about buying them (he my modded sr60is now). I have larger diameter cups that I could not attach original gimbals to. So I made it gimbal-less, what I originall did not take into consideration was that the the gimbals change the angle of the cup to contour your ear properly. The SR60is fit kind of awkward. 

The only thing that I am worried about is me is A) those gimbals do not fit, it would be wasting money and B) how the hell am I going to properly move the metal bar stuck in the cups.

The Auvio gimbals fit perfectly.  The wires that you insert into the holes on the Grado cups are slightly smaller than the holes.  There are plastic inserts on the Auvio cups that can be pulled out with your fingernails.  However, if you wanted to use them on a pair of cups for the Grados, you'd have to slightly enlarge the gimbal holes on the cups.  Or, you could just apply a layer of shrink tube over the wire ands so that they fit tighter in the gimbal holes.  The wire is very solid wire, but opens when you expand it to fit over the cups for insertion into the gimbal holes.

I was checking on the Radio Shack Web site and lately, I can only see the Auvio headphones with the built in microphone and the cost is a bit greater - $22.99 or so.  Getting a pair that Joe has linked is a pretty good deal for the headband.  I haven't stopped by a local RS store to see if they still have the non-mic version still available.

In my other thread on non-Grado drivers, I posted a pic of some finer (yet sturdy) mesh that I had found from my local Micro Center.  I found a letter stand and cut it apart to get the mesh.  A picture of what I've found is provided below - installed in the cups.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,828 of 8,992
Alessandro Ms1i mod's.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #4,830 of 8,992
so i have some sr225 drivers and cups and other odds and ends coming my way. i was thinking of woody-fying them...is it better to just do the whole shebang and get wood housings or should i just get wood cups that attach to the housing? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back