post your grado mods....
Feb 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #4,741 of 8,988
Check out the MS1000 thread. Your build matches it rather closely (recessed cups, etc). You might be missing some vent holes in the cups...

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4,744 of 8,988
I'm just about done with my sr80i project. I finished the cocobolo cups earlier this week, and I'm dialing in the sound now. I feel it's a little too bright still. Any suggestions on how to dampen this? I'm thinking of adding some felt to inside of the cups, behind the drivers, or possibly a light screen in front of the drivers (I removed the factory one). The drivers are liberated and recessed in the cups, with felt on the walls in front, leading to jumbo pads. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Maybe the use of a tube headphone amp?

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #4,747 of 8,988
i read over the ms1000 thread and decided to add another layer of felt to the inside of the recessed areas as well as a cloth in front of the drivers. really made the difference. i'm really happy with the results. i'm going to make another set of cups, without the recess, and see how that works out with another set of sr80i drivers. thank you for the advice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #4,748 of 8,988
Is there any easy way to liberate the drivers in the Px100 ii's? All I've done so far is remove the headband. I'm not really sure how to remove the plastic housing that surrounds the drivers themselves

EDIT: Nevermind! A small amount of prying on the back and they came right off. Not even a need for heat!

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,749 of 8,988
So I finished wiring the drivers and putting them in their cups this morning and they sound pretty fantastic for slower music or acoustic guitar and piano and more mellow stuff. When listening to metal they seem to be pretty slow and flabby sounding though. I'm hoping some burn in time will clear this up pretty quickly though! Also, using g cush pads so maybe l pads or something with a little less room would help. Anybody else experience similar results from the Px100-ii? I'm also going to go buy some dynamat for the magnets in hopes that that will help

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #4,750 of 8,988
Headphones for Jim :). He got himself a pair of SR80i and within a week he asked me to woody them for him with a pair of cups he had made:

You can't see it, but they have pretty awesome cable courtesy of fellow head-fier wje.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #4,751 of 8,988

I cannibalized a cheap eBay headphone for the headband (frame and wire hanger), then glued up some fabric as a replacement for my Grado SR80

Also took the opportunity to mod the cables to single sided, as well as recolour the grilles.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #4,752 of 8,988

I cannibalized a cheap eBay headphone for the headband (frame and wire hanger), then glued up some fabric as a replacement for my Grado SR80

Also took the opportunity to mod the cables to single sided, as well as recolour the grilles.

Ha, Tim Burton would be proud.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #4,753 of 8,988

Wow, love that headband! 

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,754 of 8,988
Headphones for Jim
smily_headphones1.gif
. He got himself a pair of SR80i and within a week he asked me to woody them for him with a pair of cups he had made:

You can't see it, but they have pretty awesome cable courtesy of fellow head-fier wje.

Those are awesome. I love the wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back