post your grado mods....
Feb 1, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4,622 of 8,992
  Grado Modders:

For those of who who've tried using differently-shaped cups with the same drivers, can you comment on how the sound changes with cup shape or size?

I'm particularly interested in any experiences with cups shaped like the the GS1000's vs those of the RS line.

Thanks,
Joe

I haven't tried the same wood and drivers in the two different shapes at the same time...might be something to look at. I have Turbulent X in a pair of Cabillas' GS1000 style cups, and a pair of SR80 pinks in some African Blackwoods cut kind-of like the RS1 (I am being rather liberal there as well). It feels like comparing apples and oranges.

My personal thoughts (and YMMV) are that the differences are extremely minimal. This might change if I get a "same driver model-same wood type" side-by-side going.

With the Cabillas cups, I have had two separate pairs in the same style, and two separate sets of Turbulent drivers in them. One pair of the cups required foam mounting strips for the drivers, the others didn't. It might have been driver variances, it might have been something to do with the wood (even though both were mahogany, the second pair are paler), but the foam mount provided a deeper, richer sound. The press-fit mount sounded thinner, more neutral.

What am I waffling on about the foam vs press-fit for? I have found it, and driver level (I have been through the SR60, SR60i, SR80 pink, SR225i, SR225 pink, SR325i and Turbulent X) the be the biggest differentiators. Wood type is also a prominent player. I am not too sure about cup shape yet though...need more time and experience :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #4,624 of 8,992
The foam im using is not nearly as delicate as the Grado foam it replaced and is quite elastic. I've taken them off and put them back on a few times with no problems, and I don't think there will be any.
I did the quarter mod on the 4 year old original pads and they ripped and so can't compare anymore.To me they sound clearer than before.

I wonder if doing this dampens the plastic diaphragm influence and so would be a useful mod for ALL grados? :) With say a thin foam section. Also it could absorb the indirect internally reflected waves.

Who knows? Im pretty happy anyway.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #4,625 of 8,992
Just wanted to let the members who were considering the Vibro Labs cups on eBay about my second order that came in last week. 

1 for 2. 1 pair looked great and I've been sanding, shaping, and staining since Wednesday. The second pair was okay but perhaps had a sawing error and had a chunk taken out of one of the lips. Try to shape it myself until it was no longer usable. Ended up trashing that pair. 

So even though I only got half of my order working, that's still a decent pair of high quality mahogany cups for $60 which is cheaper than most. 

Will post pictures this evening.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #4,626 of 8,992

Laser cut :)

As cool as that is, my mild OCD would be constantly rotating the pad to make sure the little holes line up with those on the baffle 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4,628 of 8,992
  Thats true in the first place, but they don't twist that much as they are tight. Perhaps an anti twist mod may be needed for you!

My earpads just have one big hole the size of the entire baffle; so much simpler, but alas nowhere near as cool as yours!

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #4,630 of 8,992
  As cool as that is, my mild OCD would be constantly rotating the pad to make sure the little holes line up with those on the baffle 
biggrin.gif

That's funny. I haven't quarter-modded for a similar reason. My ears are more towards the front of the pad and not precisely at the same place on each pad, so a quarter mod would be the same on the pads but not where they fit on my ears. But if I quarter mod to fit my ears, the holes will be at different places on the pads. *Too much pressure.*

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #4,632 of 8,992

DIY mahogany prototype cups from vibro labs. 1 coat of red oak stain and three coats of clear.

Please ignore tommy lee jones in the dell ad.

Good job, and, dont you ever say to ignore tommy lee jones!

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,633 of 8,992
i like this setup, especially theorem dac. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back