post your grado mods....
Nov 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #4,397 of 8,987
Wje, I recall you mentioning a "hairdryer mod" (was it you or Chris?) that was necessary for using this headband. Could you elaborate?

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #4,398 of 8,987
  Wje, I recall you mentioning a "hairdryer mod" (was it you or Chris?) that was necessary for using this headband. Could you elaborate?

Yes.  With the Sony MDR-7506 headband, the opening is about 1/4" wider than the Grado cups, or many of the wooden cup variantions.  What happens in this case, is you use a heat gun or a hair dryer to warm the plastic up a bit.  I only do this on the inside side - closest to year ears or head.  Sometimes, this process can lighten the plastic a bit, so I only apply the heat to a non imporatant area.  When the plastic is warm and slightly pliable, you can carefully push the sides of the gimbals together to narrow that gap.  Also, the "pins" that connect the gimbals to the headphone cups, are sized about 2x than that of the Grado gimbal pins.  So, you have to use a drill and an appropriate bit to open the hole a little bit.

Now, when it comes to cups that might have been cut by 7Keys and you're using the Grado headband and gimbals for your build.  The process is essentially similar -- but instead of pushing the gimbals towards the center to close the gap, you are slightly opening the Grado gimbals to fit the cup better.  If you stretch the Grado gimbals a bit too far, they will snap.  In my case, this just happened on Sunday, which has caused a light delay in the impression of the 4 tonewoods on my part.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #4,399 of 8,987
Those look great wje

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,401 of 8,987
Got a visit from the wood turner today! :D

He had a box of goodies he made on commission for a few folks:

As well as these gorgeous African Blackwoods for me:

Can't wait to get my SR80 pinks into the Blackwoods and see what the others do with those Paduaks... :)

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #4,403 of 8,987
+1.....those looks great.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4,404 of 8,987
He sent me pictures of these last night as well. I told him once I was done in the Great Grado Tonewood Experiment, I would use my SR60i drivers to make him a pair for personal use:

They are Paduak as well, but this time heartwood and sapwood.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4,407 of 8,987
I've bought L-cush for my sr60's. Many people find it better than comfies or sennheiser pads, but I feel they are worser than both of them, except maybe for music with classical instruments (for example Apocalyptica). To me seems like they are lacking something I hear with other pads.
Maybe I listen to them to short time ... maybe my brain needs burn-in time.

PS. Holy **** .... I'm listening to some piano and i've never heard something like this, even live.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4,410 of 8,987
man i love the way bocote looks. How is it to work with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back