post your grado mods....
Jul 5, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #7,231 of 8,992
This afternoon I liberated my sr125i drivers from their plastic cages. Put them in the Turbulent Labs Rosewood cups that arrived today. Wow, these are great!!

At this point I've settled on TTVJ deluxe flats as my pads, and the addition of the rosewood cups make these a dynamic, musical set of cans. Very warm - maybe too warm - but I've got more listening to do to decide that.

Also, I did the sorbothane on the back of the driver, but no dynamat yet. Vocals are amazing, bass guitars now have a front row seat, and there is a definite musicality. Here's the new look:

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #7,233 of 8,992
This afternoon I liberated my sr125i drivers from their plastic cages. Put them in the Turbulent Labs Rosewood cups that arrived today. Wow, these are great!!

At this point I've settled on TTVJ deluxe flats as my pads, and the addition of the rosewood cups make these a dynamic, musical set of cans. Very warm - maybe too warm - but I've got more listening to do to decide that.

Also, I did the sorbothane on the back of the driver, but no dynamat yet. Vocals are amazing, bass guitars now have a front row seat, and there is a definite musicality. Here's the new look:

Nice job, did you keep the stock cable?  I just got a SR-225i from ebay and the stock 8 conductor cable is just too heavy so making a new  paracord sleeved cable, haven't decided to liberate the driver or mod them first to see how they compare to my modded 225e.

Also still waiting for my rosewood cups from turbulent labs.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #7,234 of 8,992
Nice job, did you keep the stock cable?  I just got a SR-225i from ebay and the stock 8 conductor cable is just too heavy so making a new  paracord sleeved cable, haven't decided to liberate the driver or mod them first to see how they compare to my modded 225e.

Also still waiting for my rosewood cups from turbulent labs.

Still using the stock cable, although I have some Canare cable sitting around from another project that I may do something with.

I'm pretty gratified to know that the 125's really do have it in 'em. Just need some mods to bring out their best.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #7,235 of 8,992
Still using the stock cable, although I have some Canare cable sitting around from another project that I may do something with.

I'm pretty gratified to know that the 125's really do have it in 'em. Just need some mods to bring out their best.

Quick question, how long did it take for your cups to get delivered to you from turbulent?

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #7,237 of 8,992
Finished modding the SR-225i that I got just for the drivers, left them in the original cups for now but added dynamat in the cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver, and removable cables using SMC connectors with a new cable also.

Forgot to take pictures while working on them
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #7,238 of 8,992
Finished modding the SR-225i that I got just for the drivers, left them in the original cups for now but added dynamat in the cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver, and removable cables using SMC connectors with a new cable also.

What's your source for SMC connectors?

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #7,240 of 8,992

Forgot to take pictures while working on them
tongue.gif

What do you think is more important regarding the sorbothane?  The thickness or the Duro?

I can get 1/10" 40D or 1/8" 50D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-3X3x1-10-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-40D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-BACKING-/252021444105
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-3X3x1-8-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-50D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-BACKING-/371258178809

Thanks

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #7,241 of 8,992

What do you think is more important regarding the sorbothane?  The thickness or the Duro?

I can get 1/10" 40D or 1/8" 50D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-3X3x1-10-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-40D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-BACKING-/252021444105
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-3X3x1-8-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-50D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-BACKING-/371258178809

Thanks

I've had better results with the thinner 1/10" on the back of drivers, the Duro does not seem to matter (only have 50 and 70).  I cut a square about the size of the driver magnet and notch out areas to avoid covering any vent holes, then I use a razor to cut it into quarters.  If you want more info there was a lot of discussion on the HE-400 thread about a year ago.  The original idea to use the sorbothane came from someone on the SR-009 thread.  Sorry I can't find the exact post/dates where since it was so long ago.  I'll try and search again to see if I can find more info.

Try this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/20865#post_11990992

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #7,242 of 8,992
  I've had better results with the thinner 1/10" on the back of drivers, the Duro does not seem to matter (only have 50 and 70).  I cut a square about the size of the driver magnet and notch out areas to avoid covering any vent holes, then I use a razor to cut it into quarters.  If you want more info there was a lot of discussion on the HE-400 thread about a year ago.  The original idea to use the sorbothane came from someone on the SR-009 thread.  Sorry I can't find the exact post/dates where since it was so long ago.  I'll try and search again to see if I can find more info.

Try this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/20865#post_11990992

Great, thanks for the info.  So cutting it into quarters under the theory that many small pieces work better than a single larger piece?

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #7,244 of 8,992
6-7 years I removed that little gauze from the drivers because ... I can't remember. Anyway, is there a way to cover them back? Can I try with a medical gauze and glue?
I stopped using them because I wasn't a big fan of the sound, I was planning to do the Ms1000 mod.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #7,245 of 8,992
Whatever you chose to replace the gauze with, I would suggest laying the fabric/material on some old newspaper or whatever, and use canned spray glue.
Then use tweezers to place the fabric to the headphone baffle.
Something like permanent Spray Mount adhesive would be ideal.

This way you only use the minimum amount of glue and avoid getting lumpy bits of glue uneven fixing onto the headphone.

If you want to practice - use any old cheap hairspray.
This will give a non-permanent hold but will be exactly like using the glue, so you can take it off and try again until you're confident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back