post your grado mods....
Jun 8, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #691 of 8,992
I'm considering getting some rings that go around the driver machined...like the hp-2? It would be cool to give the HF-2 an all metal look

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #692 of 8,992
Yeah I read it in the MS1000 thread. I believe it was Nickchen who tried it and didn't like it.
No idea on the dimensions but I really like the Zebra wood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading that comment, lately actually...

I made about 5 pairs of adapters like this, from plywood, tried quite a few things, completely closed, 3 holes, shorter, longer design. Right now I have velour pads and you see the vent holes, well I think, without being technical, it helps by keeping the design of the headphones opened.

Since my ear is sitting pretty close to the driver, without touching it, the sound signature to my ears is not really changed. If I was picky I would say, there might be a slight increase in the bass region, a little bit more nasal sounding?

The soundstage on the other hand is much more coherent to me and the comfort, what a change. It was quite enjoyable to design/test this. I would like also to add I never tried the flat pads, which I should!
wink.gif

So apatN, any suggestions on the wood or you have an idea if the dimensions are the same!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Charles

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #693 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I read it in the MS1000 thread. I believe it was Nickchen who tried it and didn't like it.

Correct. Noxter & me tried it with quite a lot different pads (click on the K271 link in my sig), probands were SR325 & the complete Alessandro line. We never liked what we heared.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #694 of 8,992
Anybody got instructions for opening the MS-1 and making the cables detachable? Very interested in that
happy_face1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #695 of 8,992
Yep. Use a blow dryer to soften the glue of the cups. You can then take them of. Only thing then is to solder a jack in the cup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #696 of 8,992
I use a MS-1 w/ HD414 pads. It's great!
I just quarter modded it, for quiet folk songs it's better but now while listening to Stairway to Heaven it's not that great. It's too much to-the-face.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #697 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquished /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody got instructions for opening the MS-1 and making the cables detachable? Very interested in that
happy_face1.gif

I would not recommend using a hair drier, the drivers are sensible to the heat, you could use a paint stick which you cut to an rectangle angled size to get rid of the hot glue. You should hear little crackling while carrefully prying open the cups.

Charles

paintstick1.jpg

paintstick.jpg

crackedopened.jpg

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #698 of 8,992
And then how do I connect it back together? Do I have to use hot glue?

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #699 of 8,992
Quote:

I would not recommend using a hair drier, the drivers are sensible to the heat

The hair dryer should only be used from sideways.

Your method isn't bad though...

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #700 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then how do I connect it back together? Do I have to use hot glue?

Concerning the hair dryer Nick is right and I am paranoid!
wink.gif

Look at the last picture I posted there is the hot glue residue, you remove it and you apply it at the same place, you have to be relatively quick when you assemble everything back in place.
wink.gif

Charles

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #701 of 8,992
Quote:

I would not recommend using a hair drier, <snip>

That too is a good method for opening them up, though a blow dryer can do no harm as long as you heat from the sides. Actually, I believe Jmoney suggests you heat the cups up as well.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #702 of 8,992
as long as you give ample distance away from the side of the drivers, a hair dryer should be fine. Just heat it enough to remove the cups, heat, test, heat, test, etc...

The other methods of prying them also works but scratches the cups.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #703 of 8,992
I really didn't know the hair dryer could be that hot.Haha!
My friend's MS1 had been exposed to direct sunlight.He left it on the table next to the window and when he came back in the afternoon it was all hot due to the sun shining on it.He was lucky the driver was not damaged.
popcorn.gif
.But he said it felt really hot.

Do you need to drill holes for the female socket ? I don't think the wire opening is big enough

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #704 of 8,992
Really would love detachable cables on my HF-1/HF-2 for 1/8, 1/4, balanced. Might do this! If I can tarnish my epic Head-Fi collectables... -_-

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #705 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquished /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need to drill holes for the female socket ? I don't think the wire opening is big enough

They do need openning up slightly so I used a rounded needle file, nothing too industrial
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back