post your grado mods....
May 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #676 of 8,992
You make me think my standart phones are **** compared to your awesome modded ones
frown.gif
- They look so sleek and different, just better. The thing I like most is the cable on one side - I should see if a mate can do that for me :p

May 31, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #677 of 8,992
anyone can comment on the sound of an RS-1 with the HD414 pads(stock or moded)...?? i already orders them but i am curious to know what you think. I didn't quite get it from other threads because the RS-1 model is not frequently paired with the 414 pads.
would this help me to improve the bass response a little bit? (hope i didn't make a mistake ordering those)

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #678 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone can comment on the sound of an RS-1 with the HD414 pads(stock or moded)...?? i already orders them but i am curious to know what you think. I didn't quite get it from other threads because the RS-1 model is not frequently paired with the 414 pads.
would this help me to improve the bass response a little bit? (hope i didn't make a mistake ordering those)

I have the 414 pads on my 325s right now and they made a very positive improvement. I haven't tried the 414 pads on the RS-1s yet, but plan to so I'll let you know what I think of them compared to the stock Grado bowls.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #679 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 414 pads on my 325s right now and they made a very positive improvement. I haven't tried the 414 pads on the RS-1s yet, but plan to so I'll let you know what I think of them compared to the stock Grado bowls.

thanks. and glad you're enjoining your pads, i will soon join the modding club too with the 414 pads. also considered trying the tape mode. a lot of good comments on it.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #680 of 8,992
Here's some pics of my freshly modded MS1's. (They're a work in progress).

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

The headband is red leather which was shaped and glued to the metal headphone band.

The pads are jumbos from the GS1000s.

The woodies are made from a bamboo cutting board, a couple of holesaws, a lot of sanding and a bunch of swearing.

I'm really happy with how these are turning out, and I've only got to replace the black plastic left and right blocks with timber ones I've made. To do that I've gotta drill them out. I have to give the timber bits a coat of polyurethane clear.

Give me your opinions on mesh guys, I dunno whether to leave them as is or put a fine aluminium mesh on them.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #681 of 8,992
My SR 225 Mod (done by Eagleboy)...Mitchel.lax (above) check the screens used and replacement of plastic cup holders with silver/nickel wire...leather headband...and lacewood cups.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #683 of 8,992
Quote:

thanks. and glad you're enjoining your pads, i will soon join the modding club too with the 414 pads. also considered trying the tape mode. a lot of good comments on it.

I didn't get teh pads swapped last night. I was working on the dampening of a set of Yamaha YH-100s for another H-F'er. Really happy with the results of the final dampening scheme, so I ended up listening to them until 1:00am and never dug out the RS-1s or MB Quart QP400s for a comparo, but it's on the schedule for tonight.

The big bowls will really come into their own with the felt lined distancers from the MS1K mod.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #684 of 8,992
interesting

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #685 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interestingly, I picked up some 414 pads and cut out the center and put them reversed on my MS-1. For me, compared to the comfy pads, the 414 pads don't convey the bass impact that the comfy pads do. I think the 414 foam is not a dense as the comfy pads, and certainly not a dense as the standard bowls, and they don't seem to contain the sound as well as the comfy pads.

I'm getting some bowls next to try on the MS-1.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #686 of 8,992
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, I picked up some 414 pads and cut out the center and put them reversed on my MS-1. For me, compared to the comfy pads, the 414 pads don't convey the bass impact that the comfy pads do. I think the 414 foam is not a dense as the comfy pads, and certainly not a dense as the standard bowls, and they don't seem to contain the sound as well as the comfy pads.

I'm getting some bowls next to try on the MS-1.

I put the HD414 pads on the RS-1s tonight and didn't keep them on long. The bass improves, but the rest of the sound gets muffled and muddy in a hurry. I'll be doing the Gradassandro or MS1K mod with the distancers and GS1K pads on the 325s and RS-1s. If I don't hear an improvement in the sound, I think my RS-1s will go up for sale to fund other audio projects and I'll just keep the 325s for modding.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #687 of 8,992
Hello there,

I ordered some HF2 and I still have not received them and I have a project for them!

I made zebrawood adapters for my Black Dragon 325i to install Beyerdynamic pads on them, I previously posted the mod in the thread but I will post some pictures again, I really appreciated the benefits from having more soundstage /better presentation, comfort and as well the look of it. I wanna do the same adapters for my HF2!

Now I am wondering if the headphones share the same measurements where you install the pads. Secondly if anyone has ideas regarding which wood I should use, please chime in, I am planning using leather cognac pads!
wink.gif

I was thinking some Gabon ebony, usually it has some really light brown strikes, or the classic Grado's mahogany but I am having a hard time sourcing that lumber!

Thanks,

Charles

cpadsclone.jpg

out.jpg

inleather.jpg

in-out.jpg

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #688 of 8,992
^ I was thinking of making something like that. I heard from others, well sorry, that it sucked really hard. You seem to like it though. How does it change the sound?

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #689 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I was thinking of making something like that. I heard from others, well sorry, that it sucked really hard. You seem to like it though. How does it change the sound?

I remember reading that comment, lately actually...

I made about 5 pairs of adapters like this, from plywood, tried quite a few things, completely closed, 3 holes, shorter, longer design. Right now I have velour pads and you see the vent holes, well I think, without being technical, it helps by keeping the design of the headphones opened.

Since my ear is sitting pretty close to the driver, without touching it, the sound signature to my ears is not really changed. If I was picky I would say, there might be a slight increase in the bass region, a little bit more nasal sounding?

The soundstage on the other hand is much more coherent to me and the comfort, what a change. It was quite enjoyable to design/test this. I would like also to add I never tried the flat pads, which I should!
wink.gif

So apatN, any suggestions on the wood or you have an idea if the dimensions are the same!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Charles

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #690 of 8,992
Quote:

Very nice mods here. mitchel.lax...how are the big gs1000 bowls sound with your grado? some said that they didn't like this combination. although i am not sure why....

I dunno why either. I quite like the sound. Doesn't seem to change much but definately increases what little soundstage the MS1's have. The bass is still there, and the trebble seems less muffled (the same as a quarter modded set of comfies I'd imagine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back